• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toyota USA Plays Hatsune Miku+Corolla Commercials

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote
At least the commercial is way, way better than the website version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
good to know my car is the best car I could've gotten as a vocaloid fan I guess.
(man, now i need a Miku bumper sticker...)

I was thinking the same thing, in fact when I get home ima have to look up said bumper sticker Laughing

Sunday Silence wrote:
The Corolla hasn't been great since the AE86.

I beg to differ. I have a 2003 model that has served me well for almost a decade and is a great all-around car that I haven't had any major (non-self-inflicted) problems with. I like it so much that after it got accordion-ed in an accident (got rear-ended and sent flying by an old school steel SUV, that was quite the experience) I had them fix it (by welding a new back half onto it) as opposed to getting a check for a new car.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:
YES! They didn't horribly mispronounce her name!

Hatsooni Meekoo =/=Hatsune Miku, unless you were being sarcastic.

Mostly I just find this...baffling. The car has absolutely nothing to do with Miku, and I hardly think the average american would feel compelled to buy one if they saw an ad with a badly CG'd girl in it. :/ As a Vocaloid/Miku fan there's just something really embarassing about the whole thing.

Also the image on the site is really creepy...but interesting that it totally ripped off the more famous Tony illustration of Miku. I personally dislike Tony, but even his art is preferable to what they're using...
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
Wow Miku Hatsune in a US commercial its a shame that its a car commercial but maybe it will open Miku up for others ones now
nght5tlkr

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Although the Miku-liking demographic wouldn't really have the money for an LFA, she would have better suited an LFA commercial--they're both voiced by Yamaha after all Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Wow Miku Hatsune in a US commercial its a shame that its a car commercial but maybe it will open Miku up for others ones now

Like... pizza? Electronics?

I mean seriously, what kind of product would you PREFER she be used as a spokesman for?
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Hatsune Miku in American commercials!? Very Happy

I wonder if the commercial will reach Europe?

Edit: Also i agree to firedragon54738s comment.

firedragon54738 wrote:
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I find it kind of funny that a lot of people online are complaining about the artwork on the website, because I saw it and didn't even think it had to do with what they were talking about. I was expecting some Deviantart-esque abomination and that picture looks fine.
gwdone

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I would LOVE to have a MIKU HATSUNE car!!
Oh, I would LOVE to win the lottery also Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha. I love how you yanks like to emphasise the vowels, "HasUne -- MEEkU". You people do it to just about every Japanese name you speak. . Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Her name together means "sound of future". That music is titled "World Is Mine". There is 2 frames of video where we can see a DVD case with the cover of the Vocaloid2 CV01 Hatsune Miku ROM on the passenger seat next to her. What didn't work for me was the way whoever drew her in the car tried to assimilate, or match the Project Diva Dreamy Theatre model used for that cut away to the Vocaloid's 2010 39 Giving Day concert. I think it failed miserably. Also I doubt this will make it to any network broadcast. If I was the producer I would want to press Crypton to get their English Miku version ready for release, then insert her speaking in English with a Japanese accent. Miku was used for a commercial for a Japanese market vegetable drink called Popipo. That one takes some getting use to if you are not into techno club music. But both World is Mine and Popipo are early releases of the Miku software from 2007. The newer Append versions are much more natural. I give Toyota full kudos for having the testes to use a vocaloid in their commercials and to me it screams "We are the 21st century. We are the car of future like the sound of future." Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri May 06, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Wait, what?! Laughing

Though seriously, your normal American wouldn't know who she is, and I'm wondering why Toyota of America did this. There are even anime fans that haven't heard of her. It took me until mid last year to figure that out, and I had been stated getting heavily into anime in late 2008.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spoony

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

AHHHH. Why did you show me that? DX

Her armpit looks weird...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
spoony wrote:
dormcat wrote:

AHHHH. Why did you show me that? DX

Her armpit looks weird...
Yeah I have to agree that's not the best rendition of Miku. Also it would have been better if that Corolla was a hybred power plant, or all electric then it would have been a car of future. Rolling Eyes
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear. Wester audiences first exposure to Miku will be a bad CG with a ear piercing scream? I know for a fact many people turn their TV's way up... that kind of scream will NOT fly.

Im surprised though, that they are using that particular song, or that particular version of it. And then showing a concert? well OK, but people who dint know any better will just assume it's all "fake" and they have CG'd her onto the stage or something.

At least wait for the product to come here and advertise IT first...
sherri-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Honestly, if Toyota was going to do a anime themed commercial, it would have been interesting to see a Dragon Bal Z themed one. If you have seen Dragon Ball Z, you know what I am about to say. It would be hilarious if a "It's over 9000!!!" comment was throw in there somehow.

THIS. Now I have a mental image of Vegeta stepping on the gas pedal screaming IT'S OVER 9000!!!

MeggieMay wrote:

BTW, did anyone else go to the website? There is a very scary version of Miku over there (looks like they got a US Comic artist to draw her or something Laughing ).

LOL Thanks for the heads up. I'll avoid that website like a plague now.

Echo_City wrote:
If the longer version is shown, most Americans will harbor resentment to Toyota for damaging their ears with that shrill, glass-breaking scream that Miku does on the stage.

Yeah, that was totally a WTF moment with that scream...

I could see this ad work in Japan, but not in America... Even if they got my favourite anime character in that car, I can't afford to buy a car myself lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5