• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rei Ayanami as a sex idol

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First, I agree that for me, Misato > Asuka > Rei.

Man, Ritsuko gets no love.
opaquescum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
I hate to break it to people but their is no norm when it comes to sex. What is the norm in wyoming has no relevance to the norm in china, india, somalia, morocco. These are based on cultural values, and they are subject to change.

Yeah alot of people cannot conceive, but its true. What it is today is not what it will be twenty years from now or one hundred years from now.

A hundred years ago in the United states many wives were this young. Infact in some places in this country you can still find it. I will not mention where those places are. Women had ribs removed to appear more sexy to reach a typical ideal. They also wore clothes that devastated their bodies, and made walking a chore. Also it was expected that people would not use anastesia. Yeah it was available, but pain was something between you and god. People still practiced courtly love, and well the list is endless.

Needless to say today we look at these things and say how could someone think this was a good way to go about things. Nobody would put a dowry on their daughter today. Nobody would have a rib removed, but hey some women have sacks of synthetic material put into their breasts.

Personally I do not see the character as that, but I can see that some do. I do not judge them for it either. Applying truely arbitrary cultural standards is just that. We have no good reason for what we feal is appropriate or not. Human beings are the masters of justification. We justify what we do think or feal based on a logic we construct to make our views the right ones.

Anyway the fact that this dosent jive with some of our standards is our problem not the problem of the guy you thinks Rei is hot for whatever reason.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:44 am Reply with quote
I dont get it either in reality rei would just lie there and be like "are you done sir"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
I don't get it either in reality rei would just lie there and be like "are you done sir"

Exactly. The perfect &^%* toy. Submissive, obedient, willing to take anything you can dish out.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
Nothing quite as paradoxical as a sexual fetish towards something as fundamentaly asexual.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
I don't get it either in reality rei would just lie there and be like "are you done sir"

Exactly. The perfect &^%* toy. Submissive, obedient, willing to take anything you can dish out.

I dont know man I would atleast want some feedback. not just to be there giving it my all as she just lied there. atleast fake it or something.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nothing quite as paradoxical as a sexual fetish towards something as fundamentaly asexual.

Wasn`t the first person to ever marry a blow-up doll an American? Razz Isn`t there a whole fetish aimed towards toys/dolls and dissing real humans? It is possible Razz
And it is not confined to Japan or some other Asian countries. It happens all around the world, and as abunai said, can be happening at this very instant.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:13 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:

I don't know man I would atleast want some feedback. not just to be there giving it my all as she just lied there. atleast fake it or something.

Out of due respect to the females on this board, let's end this line of thought right now.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
Why is it that Rei Ayanami who is not only about 13 (right?) but also spoiler[not a human] became such a large sex idol?

I know this is a pretty broad question, but is it a japanese culture thing that allows younger people to be "looked at" more in a sexual way without being called a pervert/child molester/pedophile?

or is it just as unacceptable in western culture, but seems different because we tend to see japanese culture through a bit of a lens?

I was reluctant to post on this topic, but I should point out some things that come from my own experiences with anime.

First, not all people who find Rei Ayanami attractive feel this way sexually. Ever since I started watching anime seriously (I believe Martian Successor Nadesico was the first I 'got into') I have gravitated toward this type of character. Ruri Hoshino of the afore mentioned series, Vanilla in Galaxy Angels, Mea in Popotan, etc. I don't totally understand it, but I think it stems from a desire to fill some void that the character portrays as well as a desire to be there for the character.

The only scene of Shinji in NGE where I connected with him was spoiler[when he went to help the injured Rei at the time of his decision to pilot an EVA].

For me, age and body type have nothing to do with it, however I don't doubt that some were created a certain way for some twisted otaku sex appeal.

I don't think people should be judged by others simply by the cultural norms of the person making that judgement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the Rei Fans view her as being the more "innocent" of two female Eva pilots? If so, perhaps this explains the nature of her appeal (personality aside).

Asuka is the more womanly of the pilots, but guessing at how she acquired her experience disturbs me, especillay since she spoiler[made numerous references to her time in Germany with Ryoji Kaji.]; that's another discussion for another time, though.

I've seen numerous Rei figurines in Chinatown, at conventions, and online. There has to be something to her which causes such a devoted following to exist. Asuka has her following, of course, but she may lack something Rei has (as hard as that may seem).

Since Misato Katsuragi is my favorite character from NGE, though, my focus is elsewhere.

(As for Spock, maybe has has his following because he has the strength of ten human males, is a quiet man, and has a mastery of his emotions-- which he never denied having. He also has that thing going with his hands and his mental prowess. With those things going for him, maybe many of his fans view him as both masculine and virile.)
shintot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
This is only an educated guess of mine but I think it has merit to be mentioned. I don't know what the marrying age was in the US several hundred years ago, but I remember learning that because the average lifespan back then was only 40-60 at most, Asians got married as young as age 12, right when their puberty would start. If so, then despite the disappearance of such tradition (which was more out of necessity due to a shorter lifespan), the idea might still be there, where someone young (as young as 12 even) is seen as "wife material" (in other words, in a sexual way).

Many ancient, and even current civilizations allowed for marriage for young partners. Remember, these are just a few of the countries, here are some links:

United States: http://marriage.about.com/cs/teenmarriage/a/teenus.htm
Alabama: "Individuals under the age of 14 may not marry."
Missouri: "If you are under 18 years old, you must have parental consent. Anyone under the age of 15 must have the approval of a county judge to receive a marriage license."
South Carolina: "The minimum age for a female is 14 and it is 16 for a male."
This is just to name a few.

Ancient China: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12285484&dopt=Abstract

Ancient (and modern) India :http://212.58.226.19/1/hi/world/south_asia/1617759.stm

Ancient Israel:
"Girls typically married at age 12 or 13, immediately after puberty, so one might be excused for wondering what chance they had of developing an informed opinion beyond that of their fathers."http://www.womenintheancientworld.com/women%20and%20the%20law%20in%20ancient%20israel.htm
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Girls can marry at 16 in Japan. But man, California is so out of it. Course it's probably of the more dangerous places in this country. Who knows what kind of freaks are out here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3