• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3rd Madoka Magica Film's New Footage Debuts on Japanese TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
There's alot of very interesting stuff that seems to be going on there. For instance Homura fights both Mami and Sayaka while she has her time device thingie (Sayaka gets a sword into it), but later we're shown her with her post-godica bow.

Kyouko now is in school uniform and seems to have taken green mugi's place in the friendship group? Does she steal Kyuosuki from Sayaka as well?

My guess is that the film will have some of an alternative timeline (ie ep 10 of the series) plus post-godica with Homura working to get the love of her life back.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Was never a fan of how the series ended so I'm glad to see the storyline expand a bit more now with this movie.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
There's alot of very interesting stuff that seems to be going on there. For instance Homura fights both Mami and Sayaka while she has her time device thingie (Sayaka gets a sword into it), but later we're shown her with her post-godica bow.

Actually...I can't find any scenes of her with the bow at all, other than one from the end of the series, and the movie poster in the background. We've also got both a living Madoka and a mysterious-astral-being Madoka, from the looks of it. There may be multiple timelines going on here (again).

Also, at 0:46 you can see what looks like spoiler[Sayaka's witch form.]
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Nightmare is the Frankenstein monster of witches.

Aoi Yuki is so adorable ♥

That white shade to the left of Madoka's waist on the movie poster... spoiler[kinda looks like Oriko's hat]... I'm probably just imagining things.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Kyouko now is in school uniform and seems to have taken green mugi's place in the friendship group? Does she steal Kyuosuki from Sayaka as well?

My guess is that the film will have some of an alternative timeline (ie ep 10 of the series) plus post-godica with Homura working to get the love of her life back.

Maybe spoiler[Kyouko steals Sayaka from Kyousuke?]
And spoiler[Madoka erased herself from all timelines. No idea what is going on, since it seems inconsistent... but I'm sure there will be some kind of explanation.]

kotomikun wrote:
Also, at 0:46 you can see what looks like spoiler[Sayaka's witch form.]

It is. I truly wonder what that's about...

Kohii wrote:
That white shade to the left of Madoka's waist on the movie poster... spoiler[kinda looks like Oriko's hat]... I'm probably just imagining things.

spoiler[The shape looks suspicious, definitely, but Oriko's hat isn't rounded at the top.]
shiranehito

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it's just me, but I think Madoka's back in the poster looks pretty... manly. It's broad.
Though, never mind. It's just me.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:53 am Reply with quote

I couldn't resist.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I am pretty worried that this movie is not possibly going to be able to live up to the hype. I have a sense that it is going to be one of these follow-up productions where the show's creators just pander heavily to things that they know the fans liked in the first go around, and don't necessarily put together a competent new story.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
To be honest, I am pretty worried that this movie is not possibly going to be able to live up to the hype. I have a sense that it is going to be one of these follow-up productions where the show's creators just pander heavily to things that they know the fans liked in the first go around, and don't necessarily put together a competent new story.

I have been saying this, and to me, it seems more and more evident that I might know what I'm talking about (at least, I'm basing my assumptions on the parallel instances of what we know from the production for the movie to the production of the original TV series), but... Urobuchi writes because he loves to write, and only writes when he knows he can write something he's satisfied with. And in addition to that, it seems like the manuscript and screenplay impressed the production team in much the same way the series itself did--specifically, they claim to have not wanted to touch it, though it WAS too short for even a movie, so Urobuchi was suggested to write in about 30 more minutes of content (which he later claimed that he felt helped improve it in his own eyes).

While this doesn't mean that it will live up to the original series (or that it WILL be any good--that'll be left up to our tastes), it does mean that the chances of fanservice pandering just for the sake of pandering are slim. Urobuchi takes his stories very seriously. If ANYTHING, we do know he's very well in-the-know for what the general fans support in Madoka, so his story may "pander" to the kinds of things that will satisfy those fans (for instance, spoiler[Kyouko and Sayaka might get along more this time around, even despite their differences, or Mami might end up not dying and having good friends, or Madoka and Homura will... apparently evidently have lots of intimate moments]), but I'd consider that the kind of thing that could increase our opinion of it, due to the relevance to the characters, rather than find a distraction from the themes themselves. As long as they fit in directly with what the movie is trying to tell us.

In the end, though, it doesn't necessarily matter what happens during the production of the film. We'll just have to hope it does his original story justice, if not more than that. In the meantime, skepticism is justified and welcome for anything that at least deserves a critical analysis. =3
darcerin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Could we just not kill Mami this time around?] Please? *sigh*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2