• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shojo Beat: Kaze Hikaru Out, Backstage Prince In

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:
Godchild probably seemed like more of a hit than it turned out to be, just given Kaori Yuki's success with Angel Sanctuary.

The problem with Godchild is that the manga doesn't actually start where SB started serializing it. As I hear, Viz conveniently forgot about the first five volumes of the Earl Cain series which would've provided a much-needed background to Godchild, including the characters' past and their motivations.

I think was an incredibly stupid idea to just start serializing Godchild without making the first five volumes available. The art in the first five volumes is not up to par with that of the Godchild arc (though I happen to like the art in the Akai hitsuji arc more), and maybe Viz thought people wouldn't like it, but I really wonder how they expected people to care about the characters and understand the story without the background.

Viz did buy the rights to Count Cain, though, so it'll be out soon... animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9256
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Godchild was just annoying, whether or not people knew the backstory. Even the author admitted in an SB interview that the series isn't very big in Japan.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I definitely don't understand Viz's logic in the move to serialize Godchild before Count Cain. I still don't think I would have really liked Godchild anyway (it's far too episodic/monster-of-the-week for my tastes), but knowing more about character backgrounds certainly would have improved it.
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Godchild was just annoying, whether or not people knew the backstory. Even the author admitted in an SB interview that the series isn't very big in Japan.

Well, it kind of ended two years ago, so... yeah, I can see how it's not very big nowadays. But the fact that Yuki Kaori was allowed to restart the series after 5 or so years (she put it on hold until she finished Angel Sanctuary) and she could write 8 volumes' worth of Godchild without fear of it being cancelled shows that the series wasn't exactly unpopular while it was running in Hana to yume. (Btw, in an interview I read YK called the Earl Cain series her life work, or something to that effect. I'm inclined to agree.)

As for Godchild being annoying or not - Yuki Kaori's style is definitely not for everyone. That said, if I hadn't started reading the series at the beginning, I would've found Godchild annoying, too - like, "who are these people, why are they doing this and why should I care?" It depends too much on background knowledge of the characters and their motivations. Godchild (well, the Earl Cain series as a whole) seems episodic but actually it's more like a puzzle where one gathers the pieces one by one. I'm not saying it's a great, life-altering work of art, but as far as mystery manga goes, it's one of the best I've read.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:38 am Reply with quote
mufurc:
Quote:
That said, if I hadn't started reading the series at the beginning, I would've found Godchild annoying, too - like, "who are these people, why are they doing this and why should I care?"

That's not what I was thinking, when I said it was annoying. I meant that the stories were intentionally vicious in a way which pissed me off. Many of the characters in the manga are back-stabbing sadists who verbally abuse, torture and murder for the pettiest reasons. That kind of crap was annoying enough in Evangelion, but the author takes it up a notch by turning the disturbing content into sick jokes. And yes, I recognize the irony of complaining about another person trying to get a rise out of me, but in Yuki's case, it's worse, because she does a bait-and-switch with the characters. (I.E the "good cop, bad cop" routine.) I might actually care if the author genuinely wanted me to care.
Changmi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
Kaze Hikaru is my favorite series in Shojo Beat, so I am sad to see it go. It's my favorite because it is different from all of the rest. Perhaps most people did not like it because of its difference, so sadly, it was not meant to stay in Shojo Beat. I was going to subscribe to the magazine once I started college, but now I don't really have a reason to. None of the other series really interest me that much. Even the most popular "Absolute Boyfriend" to me seems like a "reincarnation" of Yuu Watase's other series. (In my opinion, once you've read one of her series, the others turn out to be similar)
mokitty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Changmi wrote:
Even the most popular "Absolute Boyfriend" to me seems like a "reincarnation" of Yuu Watase's other series. (In my opinion, once you've read one of her series, the others turn out to be similar)

I'll agree with that almost wholeheartedly. Really, I'm surprised that Absolute Boyfriend is staying as one of the "favourites". I say almost wholeheartedly because I've always been a big fan of Watase's mangas, and somehow I've found that up until now they've managed to stay somewhat fresh. I guess the different fantasy elements in Ayashi no Ceres and Alice changed the story just enough for me. And Imadoki was cute, even if more than a little farfetched in places and with a rushed ending.

But Absolute Boyfriend... I',m feeling not only deja vu, but I feel like I've seen every single panel and read every single word before. At least twice. Just my opinion of course, but it feels to me like this series takes Chobits, ramps up the unbelievability, turns down the funny (haven't I already read every single one of those jokes in her other series?), and then follows the formula to the letter. I've been really disappointed by it, and I'm hoping that she can come up with something better and more original for her next creation.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
mokitty: It's not like Chobits was any more original than Absolute Boyfriend.
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
From what I can guess, the reason that Viz decided to get Godchild without the rest of Count Cain (which they have now anyway) is because the art on Count Cain is much better. As someone said before, there was a long hiatus during the series and Godchild was made after Angel Sanctuary. It was incredibly odd to serialize Godchild first.

And I agree with all the Yuu Watase comments. Her series are most definately the same (especially the boys... *cough*) I think Watase does the best when she really throws in the fantastic. Fushigi Yuugi is completely removed from reality while Ceres is mostly. Her more recent series can't make up their mind - fantastic or not? Magic or not? blah blah blah. I don't find any of her series completely spectacular, but they're sure more interesting when they have no grasp on reality whatsoever.
She's such a fan favorite that she can do really well in the states with whatever series she writes.
mokitty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
Gatsu: Not claiming it was, but as I said my personal feeling is one of having experienced it before, and Chobits is just the only one of those hapless boy - magical/robotic/fantastical girl servant stories I've ever watched or read. I never had and still don't have any interest in those types.

I admit, it was a CLAMP bandwagon thing for me. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm more disappointed that Jenifer Morgan's leaving. Her articles added a lot of class to the magazine.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Judging by what I've seen in the newest issue, I think the trade-off was worth it. Kaze Hikaru felt rough around the edges, while Backstage Prince is more engaging.
T-Buckets13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Is there going to be a 7th book of backstage prince???? If there isnt they really need to make one!
T-Buckets13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Is there going to be a 7th book of backstage prince???? If there isnt they really need to make one!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they do, maybe they don't. However, 7 year old threads don't need to be revived just to say that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3