• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Filler's Reception in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnePieceFANatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
Also, I think that alot of the fans of Naruto may not even know about the manga. So how are they to know if it's filler or not? They'd just watch it and remember how cool it can be. With this in mind, they'll stick with it. That's how I was when I watched One Piece before reading the manga. But hey, good filler is possible if the devs are willing to make it. Look at the G8 arc in OP, great stuff if you ask me.

@Zoe: OT, but I recognize your avatar from this really old PS2 game I've had since a bit after PS2 launch. Adventures of Cookie and Cream iirc. Kinda funny, I didn't actually think anybody knew about it Mr. Green
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
OnePieceFANatic wrote:
Also, I think that alot of the fans of Naruto may not even know about the manga. So how are they to know if it's filler or not?

If we were talking about America, I'd agree with you, but I don't think that's the case with Japan. Manga is huge there.

OnePieceFANatic wrote:
@Zoe: OT, but I recognize your avatar from this really old PS2 game I've had since a bit after PS2 launch. Adventures of Cookie and Cream iirc. Kinda funny, I didn't actually think anybody knew about it Mr. Green

Yup! I loved that game, I think my avatar at every forum I've belonged to has been some picture of Cream Smile
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
This AskJohn Article should be required reading for anyone with questions about the Naruto fillers, especially this section:
Quote:
Naruto is one of the most popular and successful current anime in Japan. Naruto is also a mainstream anime targeted at pre-adolescent Japanese boys. Merely noticing the relative scarcity of coverage Naruto gets in Japanese anime magazines like Newtype and Animage implies that the Naruto anime is not highly popular among Japan's hardcore otaku community. Naruto is most popular with average, mainstream Japanese viewers who seemingly don't mind original storylines. If the Naruto television series is still just as popular in Japan while it's broadcasting anime exclusive storylines, there's probably little motivation for Studio Pierrot animators to stop producing original storylines. In fact, the longer the anime original episodes continue, the more time Masashi Kishimoto has to author additional chapters of the manga, which in turn will give animators more material to work with in the coming years. Furthermore, Studio Pierrot artists may enjoy exercising their own creativity in creating original Naruto adventures instead of slavishly adapting Kishimoto's work. So it may actually be in the best interest of Studio Pierrot to delay adapting the Naruto manga for as long as possible.
(emphases added)
nailz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that I am pretty disappointed in the whole Naruto thing. I enjoyed the first 50-is episodes, but then the animation quality went in the crapper. The filler becomes a little trying at times since there's not a lot going on, i.e. character development. I suppose the big stuff happens when the "plot" comes back, but a little char dev would be nice at least.

Of course they are going to stretch it out as long as they possibly can. It's a business. They'd be fools not to.
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
BTW, looking at the previous 135 Naruto episodes before the long filler episodes, a good year to year and a half's worth of episodes could be made from the existing manga.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
BTW, looking at the previous 135 Naruto episodes before the long filler episodes, a good year to year and a half's worth of episodes could be made from the existing manga.

EXACTLY why I have issues with it. Because that's assuming that no more manga is released at all, which is obviously not the case. Taking the fact that more manga will be released, there's like 4+ years worth of show that could be made before it got caught up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Currently, the manga has release 73 chapters since part 2 or Naruto began, which translates into two story arcs, even though the second one was fairly short. Going at the rate of 2 chapters per episode and continuing the shows tradition of extending fights spoiler[Like the Neji/Kidoumaro fight from the Sound Five arc] or if they anime fights we didn't actually see in the manga spoiler[like the Temari/Ten Ten fight from the Chuunin Exam] they could easily produce at least 40 episodes, which would allow the manga to stay far enough ahead that we wouldn't have to worry about filler again for a couple of years.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:56 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
OnePieceFANatic wrote:
Also, I think that alot of the fans of Naruto may not even know about the manga. So how are they to know if it's filler or not?

If we were talking about America, I'd agree with you, but I don't think that's the case with Japan. Manga is huge there.
Actually, I know a lot of people here who got into manga because of Naruto.

Anyway, it's the summertime; everybody has more than enough free time to watch TV! I'm sure the ratings will slowly drop when people start getting more busy or waiting in line for 3 months to get a PS3! But I doubt Naruto will be in trouble for a while.
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:58 am Reply with quote
naruto did help get me into manga somewhat; however it's totally lost it's appeal now as it looks more like a coloring book than a manga. There's just no life to it.

However I have hopes that when these chapters do get animated they'll look pretty sweet. I hope.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
Zoe wrote:

Anyway, it's the summertime; everybody has more than enough free time to watch TV! I'm sure the ratings will slowly drop when people start getting more busy or waiting in line for 3 months to get a PS3! But I doubt Naruto will be in trouble for a while.
You mean a lot of people who post at ANN live in Japan? OMG, I didn't know that (obvious sarcasm)! But the Japanese's summer vacation is a lot shorter than America's since the Japanese have school all year round and Japanese children actually have to do homework over their summer vacation, so they don't have that much time to sit around watching TV like lazy Americans do. And what does the PS3 have anything to do with Naruto's ratings? I wasn't aware that all Japanese people who watched TV also played Playstation video games. I guess you learn something new everyday. Besides, Naruto also airs in a primetime (or "golden time" or whatever they call it) timeslot. I doubt the busyness of the fall is going to affect the Japanese watching Naruto very much since most families are usually at home by 7:00 p.m., at least the target age group who watches Naruto will be anyway.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:
Zoe wrote:

You mean a lot of people who post at ANN live in Japan? OMG, I didn't know that (obvious sarcasm)! But the Japanese's summer vacation is a lot shorter than America's since the Japanese have school all year round and Japanese children actually have to do homework over their summer vacation, so they don't have that much time to sit around watching TV like lazy Americans do. And what does the PS3 have anything to do with Naruto's ratings? I wasn't aware that all Japanese people who watched TV also played Playstation video games. I guess you learn something new everyday. Besides, Naruto also airs in a primetime (or "golden time" or whatever they call it) timeslot. I doubt the busyness of the fall is going to affect the Japanese watching Naruto very much since most families are usually at home by 7:00 p.m., at least the target age group who watches Naruto will be anyway.
About PS3, first of all, we now a lot of people who watch anime are also into video games (they both attract a lot of nerds). I know not all people who watch anime play playstation, but it's hard to deny that a very large number would. Second PS3 is likely to sell like crazy (even with the high price), givin how many people in Japan bought PS3 at launch, even when a decent game didn't exist for it. But really, I was just joking about lining up 3 months in advance, and all that; That is purely a stereotype. I know very few people do that.

Also, I didn't know Japanease kids had school all year. So I guess you do learn something new everyday!
goins007

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote
Your right, the PS3 will sell like mad when it launches. I don't think anyone is doing to say other wise. However what most people are predicting is that they won't beable to keep up a strong sales push. Not when you compare it to the price of the Wii and 360 minus the HD-DVD drive.

And the PS3 hasn't launched anywhere yet. Some are wondering if it's even going to be out this x-mas. So I'm gonna guess you mean the PS2. Because the PS3 reaction from people even in japan has been luke warm at best. Better than the 360's but not as much as the Wii's. I think gamespot, or maybe engadget had a write up on that a few weeks ago.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
i Dont know about the reputation of filler eps in Japan, but for Naruto fans in Australia like my self,.. it sucks monkey balls. Laughing

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:

About PS3, first of all, we now a lot of people who watch anime are also into video games (they both attract a lot of nerds). I know not all people who watch anime play playstation, but it's hard to deny that a very large number would. Second PS3 is likely to sell like crazy (even with the high price), givin how many people in Japan bought PS3 at launch, even when a decent game didn't exist for it. But really, I was just joking about lining up 3 months in advance, and all that; That is purely a stereotype. I know very few people do that.

Also, I didn't know Japanease kids had school all year. So I guess you do learn something new everyday!
Expcet you're forgetting that while anime may attract geeky gamers in America in Japan anime is about as common as American cartoons are over here, so in Japan there'd actually be more "regular" kids who don't play video games who watch anime than there are geeky kids who do both and aren't arcades more popular in Japan than console games, anyway?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
...and aren't arcades more popular in Japan than console games, anyway?

Yeah. When I went to Tokyo, there was about one arcade per block, or around those numbers. Also, they're big into "Pachinko". When I found out what it was, I couldn't stop myself from laughing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4