• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Higurashi, Familiar of Zero Licenses Expire

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
What? Really? I thought they said that Higurashi was selling well a couple of years ago.

And here I was waiting until they licensed it so I could watch Kai legally. Guess I never will now. Sad
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

If anything it's there weren't enough "boobies ftw" for US consumers to buy it. Poor sales, not show traits, are why they aren't continuing it.

Really? because as far as I've seen both shows did spectatulary well for their company going under and only under very shoddily done distribution by FUNImation, the fact they are even being mentioned in there own ANN post should be evidence of there popularity and want in the community, regardless of if FUNi made any money off them, there sequels would have made them money, Then again this isn't FUNimation's forte now is it Rolling Eyes
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted to see the last two "answer" arcs from Higurashi animated and dubbed, but I guess that's not to be.

As for Familiar of Zero: I heard that the other seasons were... not as good as the first season. While I thought the first season was interesting, it didn't blow me away. Still, it's a pain when you like something and then never get to see how it ends.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

If anything it's there weren't enough "boobies ftw" for US consumers to buy it. Poor sales, not show traits, are why they aren't continuing it.

Really? because as far as I've seen ...

All you've seen is rumor and speculation unless you work for Funi or Geneon. Insider knowledge > rumor + speculation.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Must not have been selling well enough for them. I like both of those series a lot but I guess I will have to stick to my fansubs until someone decides to license the rest of either series if at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

All you've seen is rumor and speculation unless you work for Funi or Geneon. Insider knowledge > rumor + speculation.

Ok, well then where is the "information" proving both did terribly?
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
SaharaFrost wrote:

No kidding. Did they have that terrible of an experience with the shows or something? I mean...that's just blatantly offensive. And what do they mean by "even a minor resemblance"? Are they referring to the level of gore? The moe element? Something else? Evil or Very Mad

By their standards I am sure they consider it a terrible experience when they take the time to promote and dub these shows just to find out no one will buy them. I doubt it has anything to do with their personal opinion on them but from a business standpoint why would they want to release anything resembling them when they would most likely go down the same trail.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
What?! Goddammit, Funi, I've been dying for the sequels for ages. Way to be a ******* letdown, jerks. ~.~ And what the hell does "not even a minor resemblance" supposed to mean?

I'm beginning to second guess my love for Funi with news like this... ~_~ Can probably count on never seeing a lot of shows I love, too.

And here to think I thought the industry in America was on the upswing again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Ok, well then where is the "information" proving both did terribly?

Sophie, a Funimation employee wrote:

Hey, guys. I'm on the Acquisitions Team [ie I work for Funi so I have access to inside information that the general public does not, such as sales data]...Unfortunately, because WTC series 1 sold poorly...
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Sure, they sold poorly... did they ever take into account that the majority of people interested in these series -already bought them- when Geneon had them, and were waiting for the sequels? Not series 1 retreads?

FFS, if I'd known they'd pull a dick move like this I'd have rebought the Funi sets. ~.~

I'm tempted to organize one of those "Send the company crap" drives for support. Maybe a bunch of cicada shells for When they Cry? xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I shouldn't have waited to buy Higurashi. I loved the series but I kept putting it off and now I have no chance of getting a new copy (not at a reasonable price anyways). This is just sad news all around.

Last edited by Mushi-Man on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Max465

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Higurashi isn't a big loss for me, since I never had much of an interest in the series.

As for Big Windup, although I loved the show this also isn't that big news to me. Funimation mentioned a couple years ago they weren't going to license season 2 of Big Windup.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
If a series as good as Higurashi isn't selling, then what the hell is?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I really wanted to see the last two "answer" arcs from Higurashi animated and dubbed, but I guess that's not to be.

As for Familiar of Zero: I heard that the other seasons were... not as good as the first season. While I thought the first season was interesting, it didn't blow me away. Still, it's a pain when you like something and then never get to see how it ends.

The first season of Familiar Of Zero was pretty good overall (some parts of the series were good, some weren't as much.) Like Tuor_of_Gondolin, it didn't really blow me away either.

I actually did watch the second season and it wasn't nearly as good as the first season. The story wasn't all that interesting after several episodes and some of the characters could eventually become more annoying than anything else after several episodes as well. Although I finished the second season, after watching the entire second season, I lost interest in the series and did not watch the third season.

I heard it had much more harem elements than the previous seasons so I'll probably just stay where I am with the series.

With Higurashi, I thought the series would sell fairly well given the plot and everything, but that might have been when it initally came out. Can't say I blame Funimation for not continuing the series, if it doesn't sell, there is not much they can do other than cut their losses.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Here's to hoping someone else picks the remaining Higurashi titles up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11