• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - The Big Ones

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

However, the overwhelming bulk of One Piece manga fans are actually adults who probably don't watch the anime much anyway. And the fanbase is only getting older. With this in mind, the anime is hardly an effective commercial, especially when its quality is impaired due to excessive filler. I suspect the anime is aired more for prestige reasons than to bring newcomers on board or to remind people to buy the manga.

Well, I don't really know how TV revenue works in Japan, but One Piece is still in the top 5 anime each week as far as ratings are concerned, with 8-9% of households tuning in. If it wasn't getting the ratings, I'd have to imagine that they'd be willing to cancel it since the manga crowd is, as you point out, fairly well established by this point.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I like what Bakuman did. Three seasons of twenty-five episodes each, in a six-months-on and then six-months-off pattern. It meant that filler was never a problem, because there's no chance that the anime will overtake the manga.

The only reason an anime ever does that is because they can't financially justify animating it 24/7.

Think about this: a 15 episode filler arc costs something like a million dollars to make.

One Piece, Naruto, Sazae-san, Doraemon, Shin-chan, Maruko-chan, etc, which have all been on the air non-stop for over a decade because they get the ratings. But I bet they're revolving doors for the animators working on them, because the work schedule would have to be insane.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

There's an anime convention in Pittsburgh near where I live and Tony Oliver apparently makes regular appearances there.

Really? Because I honestly thought that the dub was one of the weakest I've heard. It boarders between bland and terrible, which isn't a good sign. Oliver is decent, but I think he sounds too effeminate for a gentlemen thief. Besides the second series, did Tony Oliver do any other Lupin projects?

I personally think that David Hayter and Sonny Strait were the best ones.
I said it was good in its own right, its not a masterpiece but i was entertain by the pop culture jokes that did make me chuckle. I also enjoyed Sonny Strait and David Hayter's performances as Lupin as much as Oliver's.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

There's an anime convention in Pittsburgh near where I live and Tony Oliver apparently makes regular appearances there.

Really? Because I honestly thought that the dub was one of the weakest I've heard. It boarders between bland and terrible, which isn't a good sign. Oliver is decent, but I think he sounds too effeminate for a gentlemen thief. Besides the second series, did Tony Oliver do any other Lupin projects?

I personally think that David Hayter and Sonny Strait were the best ones.
I said it was good in its own right, its not a masterpiece but i was entertain by the pop culture jokes that did make me chuckle. I also enjoyed Sonny Strait and David Hayter's performances as Lupin as much as Oliver's.

The main problem I had with the dub actually were the pop culture references. Lupin III was a show released in the late 1970s, with the animation and music obviously reflecting that. However, the dub adds a whole bunch of jokes and references that weren't in the original Japanese script. Call me a purist, but I prefer my localizations to have as little changed as possible. There's also that whole Nazi episode controversy as well, though I think that has to do more with the network than with the people who dubbed the series.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't really stand the majority of the cast in the dub for Lupin III Part II. The only two actors that are decent are perhaps Tony Oliver and Richard Epcar. It's interesting to compare the four dubs of Mamo, though.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Richard Epcar did wanted the series to remain true to the original version, but the producers insisted on a modernize dub and what got dub into English was the result of that decision. While it is weird for an English dub to a 70s anime to mention Ebay, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, and Die Another Day. But I let that issue slide and I enjoy the dub for what it is. Even if its not everyone's cup of tea.

The one good thing about it, is that it did introduce a majority of people to the Lupin series special thanks to Adult Swim. Though a lot of those people I talk to would only know of the Red Jacket series but nothing else that it Lupin III related.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
I couldn't believed why someone would wonder why Lupin isn't popular like the shounen action shows are. It's because Lupin is Lupin, and super punchy/slashy fight shows are not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I didn't want to comment on a 4 year old thread but you forced my hand. *ahem* How DARE you call Lupin ugly! HE IS A HANDSOME GENTLEMAN! Mad

Also people who don't want to watch Lupin III for any of those shallow reasons are missing out on some of the most entertaining anime out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6