• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Engaged To The Unidentified (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Ep 2: I'm still not quite sure what I think about this show. It seems to want to be a wacky SoL-type romantic comedy, but it takes itself too seriously, with a lot of musing about the less realistic plot contrivances. What other show points out how ridiculous it is that the loli character is in high school? I guess it'll be a plot point?

Said loli character Mashiro is not horrible, but her "cutesy" voice is grating! Also on the "too serious" side, There was a lot of mostly unnecessary exposition this ep. spoiler[after the dinner scene when the mysterious past was first brought up, and Hakuya explaining to Mashiro why he didn't want to talk about it, we didn't need Kobeni to keep going on about it. ]
At least Benio didn't have as much screen time this ep, and they introduced a character who puts her in line, definitely a good thing.

I think what like most about this show is Hakuya, who is very unassuming yet recognizably human. I want to see how they'll develop his character and the romance.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Mashiro is a treasure of the universe. So adorable when she acts like, well, a kid. She quickly shot up the imouto rankings!
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Gah something feels......off about this show. Like the transition between scenes seems weird to me. And sometimes the characters don't exactly sound right for the situation (especially Mashiro)....eh idk how to explain it really. I think the voice actors just need a bit more craziness i guess.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Enjoying this show quite a bit, and I'm happy to see that Japan likes it too. Very curious to find out just what that big dog was doing up in the mountains and how Hakuya spoiler[ended up saving Kobeni].

I love how this director seems to like to use brand new seiyuu talent for his leads. It worked very well in GJ-bu and I'm liking what I hear so far in this show. Brings more variety to the ears instead of just having HanaKana as the lead like a lot of other shows (Sekai Seifuku, D-Frag, Seki-kun, Nisekoi, and any others I may not be watching)
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm only watching this show for Kobeni's attractive figure.

There, I said it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, she does have sturdy, child-bearing hips...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
And equipment suitable to feed said children.

I am quite impressed with some of the animation, especially when it comes to movement.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Going into week two of the new season, there were only two shows on the potential chopping block: Nobunaga the Fool and this. Both have survived for another week, but this show has made a much better second impression.

Like all sudden fiancé shows, the first episodes are incredibly awkward and more wonky than funny. This was very much the same. Going into the second episode, things that were bugging me were the aforementioned awkward introduction, Benio being a wee bit too creepy, and the biggest bugaboo: Mashiro's voice. I HATE her voice. I've dropped several shows in the past because I find performances obnoxious - I was almost put off of anime altogether because of Shuffle's Japanese cast - and, honestly, if it didn't look as good as it does, this would've been nixed after the first episode. Which leads me to the big positive and the reason I came back for episode 2: This show looks great. I LOVE the art (the white outlines in particular) and the animation is superb. If Yoshiyuki Fujiwara, the director, is the animator responsible for the scene in YuruYuri that I think he is, and going by the other quality animated shows in his resume, I can't say I'm surprised it's as smooth as it is. Animators really do make great directors.

All that said, by the end of the second episode, I was laughing a lot. Little sister was funny (I hate her voice, not her character), Benio felt toned down (now she has a straight man), the toppling house gag was nice, it all just started clicking. And it still has great art and excellent animation, so yeah, I foresee myself sticking around until the end. I feel like if all shows of this ilk would skip those awkward "...and this is your predetermined fiance from when you were child" first episodes and jumped straight into the scenario they'd be much better. Or at least not as eyerolly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Benio is like my favourite part, giving her a straight man is good.

Probably reading too much into it but it was almost like they were implying that the two siblings spoiler[are foxes] or something. Could explain some level of people not thinking she is weird. A supposed injury probably comes into it somehow.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
I guess we could rule out spoiler[aliens], anyway. Not gonna lie, I was disappointed.
So what makes you think Mashiro and Hakuya might be spoiler[shape-shifting mythical foxes], and what does an injury have to do with it? :\
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:57 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So what makes you think Mashiro and Hakuya might be spoiler[shape-shifting mythical foxes], and what does an injury have to do with it? :\

The flashback involved what appeared to be spoiler[foxes that were blacked out for reason in a shrine like house in the mountains]. If you recall, Mashiro mentioned that she spent a lot of time spoiler[living in the mountains, which I thought at the time sounded a little odd], I also though her spoiler[hair can look a little like ears and a tail]. Her being a spoiler[mysterious animal herself might have no bearing on her being afraid of aliens, after all a certain Dulahan was also afraid].

Anyway after some other mentions it appears that they are part of an old family that has a strong influence, but for some reason lives in the mountains in a place that may be shrine. The grandfather was apparently who set up marriage, and she recalled that it was her grandfather who took her into those mountain trips.

The injury thing that was mentioned is still a wildcard.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:14 am Reply with quote
I didn't enjoy the second eppie as much as the first, mainly because very little was developed. We got some info on the mystery of "what happened in them there mountains" and a foil for Benio was intro'd but that was pretty much it for new stuff. I felt the stuff around Mashiro's fear of aliens was dragged out too much. I'm enjoying her seiyuu's performance actually, but I can understand those who aren't.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:34 am Reply with quote
So the cast is mostly new voice actors? That explains a lot then. It's the same with Nobunagun which has two complete newbies in leading roles (it's possible they could have done some hentai though). Sure it's nice to hear someone new besides the usual group of vets but there are certain times where the rookies just don't show enough emotion or craziness in their lines it makes the jokes and gags fall flat sometimes.

That's pretty much been my main gripe with the show. Other than that it's rather enjoyable.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
You know how one of the most common complaints of dubs is that the VA's are trying too hard to sound cute and it's just not natural? That's my problem with Yuri Yoshida (Mashiro) right now. I don't know a lick about Japanese or Japanese voice acting, but it just sounds like she's trying way too hard to sound like a kid. Her actual acting seems fine, but her voice just bugs me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
You know how one of the most common complaints of dubs is that the VA's are trying too hard to sound cute and it's just not natural? That's my problem with Yuri Yoshida (Mashiro) right now. I don't know a lick about Japanese or Japanese voice acting, but it just sounds like she's trying way too hard to sound like a kid. Her actual acting seems fine, but her voice just bugs me.

When I watched the 3rd Madoka movie in theaters 2 weeks ago, they showed a clip in the beginning with all the seiyuus talking about their characters and the movie plot. I am not sure if they were using their regular talking voice, but they all sounded like 12 year old girls lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9