• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises Nominated for Animated Film Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Even though I don't really expect it to win, I'm glad it got nominated since that automatically gives it more exposure and the chances of the fil being screened in cinemas where I live are increased.

Also: Ouch Pixar. First Cars 2 and now MU. Why won't they take the hint "we don't want more half-assed sequels"? Then again, what do they care if the godawful Cars/Planes franchise is bringing them bucketloads of money :/
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Congrats for the nomination, but I don't know if it will win, it would be a miracle if The Wind Rises win the oscar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen either movie in question, but I have to ask...what was Frozen actually about, and why was Disney's marketing of it so godawful? All the ads I saw featured a goofy talking snowman whom I already hate, and a moose dragging its ass across some ice, and it looked to me for all the world like one of the terrible talking-animal romps that Dreamworks has made a living of crapping out. And then I hear that it's getting big critical acclaim, and grossing a ton of money, and it's like...where is this coming from? Disney, if your movie's that good, why the hell didn't you let us know?
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
It's a very loose adaptation of Hans Christian Anderson's The Snow Queen that's a mashup of Disney's 90s animated films and Wicked, sprinkled with some tweaking of Disney's idea of "love" (in ways both obvious and subtle) and typical hyperactive CGI family comedy goofiness. If that sounds up your alley, I highly recommend it.

Also, in Dreamworks' defense, they've made a great effort to move away from the identity their animated films used to have.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
It may get nominated, but there's no way in hell it will win when they come to the realisation it's a tribute to the man which designed the plane that bombed Pearl Horbour and got the US into WW2 finally. Laughing
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It may get nominated, but there's no way in hell it will win when they come to the realisation it's a tribute to the man which designed the plane that bombed Pearl Horbour and got the US into WW2 finally. Laughing

There is no way in hell it can win, but more for the same reason that there was no way in hell "Secret of the Kells" could have won:
The committee doesn't like Dreamworks and Illuminations taking over the category (that they've come to expect "should" go to either Pixar or Disney), so they make a show of including two representative foreign/indie arthouse nominees: The famous critic-recognized one, and the underground industry-insider animation-fan one.
It usually can't be just the famous critic-recognized one, or that would be tokenism--So, we get Secret of the Kells AND Chico & Rita nominated. There, that looks diverse enough.

So, we get Wind Rises AND Ernest & Celestine to balance out the visual-commercial The Croods, but like anyone's putting any money on E&C.

CrowLia wrote:
Also: Ouch Pixar. First Cars 2 and now MU. Why won't they take the hint "we don't want more half-assed sequels"? Then again, what do they care if the godawful Cars/Planes franchise is bringing them bucketloads of money :/

Y'know, with TS3 and MU behind us, and the Finding Nemo sequel to follow, I look forward to a day...I don't know, maybe five years, ten years away, I'm just dreaming...when we can STOP telling angry knee-jerk Disney-Pixar fans the story of how Pixar was forced to do the sequels to properly bury legal/ownership obligations dating back to those crappy Circle 7 sequels Eisner threatened to make during his well-publicized feud with Pixar. (Well, okay, the script to Eisner's Monsters sequel wasn't "crappy", but Pixar was barred from using it anyway.)

I know, it's just a dream, but I have hope and faith, someday, education and knowledge will prevail, and we can finally rest knowing our work has been done... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by EricJ on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I haven't seen either movie in question, but I have to ask...what was Frozen actually about, and why was Disney's marketing of it so godawful? All the ads I saw featured a goofy talking snowman whom I already hate, and a moose dragging its ass across some ice, and it looked to me for all the world like one of the terrible talking-animal romps that Dreamworks has made a living of crapping out. And then I hear that it's getting big critical acclaim, and grossing a ton of money, and it's like...where is this coming from? Disney, if your movie's that good, why the hell didn't you let us know?
It's a very loose adaptation of Hans Christian Anderson's The Snow Queen that's a mashup of Disney's 90s animated films and Wicked, sprinkled with some tweaking of Disney's idea of "love" (in ways both obvious and subtle) and typical hyperactive CGI family comedy goofiness. If that sounds up your alley, I highly recommend it.

In fact, we see more of the reindeer and snowman in that goofy teaser than we see in the movie.
(But you wouldn't have been persuaded if they just told you those characters were in the movie, would you? Remember when they did those goofy ads to persuade us to go see a movie with Stitch in it, when we had no idea who or what he was, either?)

As noted, it's trying hard (too hard, IMO, too chick-flik pandering, and way too Broadway-stagey), to be an Andersen followup on Tangled's funny-sentimental classic-musical spin on Rapunzel, and if you avoided that one because "the trailers looked too goofy", you're just hurting yourself there, too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Redemption: Spirited Away won, because the Academy has snubbed a lot of people over the years, and they didn't want to screw up with Miyazaki, since he was getting older. And even if it underperformed, there's no way Frozen was going to be unprofitable. It appeals to the tween girl demo that Disney consistently markets to.

Quote:
Most of them were either in WWII or closely knew someone who was. I don't want to say they are racist...... but The Wind Rises may evoke some negative feelings if they see it.

They honored Leni Riefenstahl. So they got no excuse to flip off The Wind Rises.

Kasahara:
Quote:
I skimmed Variety every week for a few years, including around the time Spirited Away was nominated, and Disney pushed that film much, much harder in its advertising than their other two nominees.

You sure? Because in my eyes, they wanted Lilo & Stitch and Treasure Planet to win.

enurtsol:
Quote:
No Letter to Momo or Kick Heart?

Kick-Heart was always going to face the challenge of being too lowbrow for Academy standards. Momo just didn't have the buzz of the big name titles. If it were submitted next year, it would have a better chance against the likes of The Nut Job and The Lego Movie.

Zac:
Quote:
Frozen is now the crown-jewel second-highest grossing film in Disney Feature Animation history,

Someone's not taking into account inflation. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
What wins these awards are studio campaigns. Disney will be pushing Frozen, and it will win.

If studio campaigns were enough, then Avatar would win Best Picture.

Tenchi:
Quote:
Letter to Momo wasn't nominated because it's an anime film not directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

Yes, but an anime film not directed by Miyazaki was nominated in the shorts category. Again, it didn't make it, because it was not a big name, and it was going up against very big names.

Quote:
I was originally going to type "it's an anime film not from Ghibli" but Ghibli movies not directed by Miyazaki don't get nominated either.

They haven't submitted Ghibli movies not directed by Miyazaki yet.

walw:
Quote:
What's to say he won't find some other bullshit excuse to avoid attending this time?

He's in retirement mode, so he might want to visit for fun this time. He clearly hated leaving his comfort zone-animation-for even a public comment, but now that he's not busy, he seems more chipper.

Quote:
I am surprised they nominated the Croods, a film that many people reviled.

Why would you be surprised? Money talks, and if Dreamworks actually wanted to, we'd be seeing Millennium Actress and GITS: Innocence nominated, too.

Quote:
I'll believe that it's his last film when he dies, but until then I remain open to the idea that he's too much of a hardass to actually retire.

The dude may have suffered a stroke from overwork on The Wind Rises. Stick a fork in him.

Mohawk:
Quote:
It may get nominated, but there's no way in hell it will win when they come to the realisation it's a tribute to the man which designed the plane that bombed Pearl Horbour and got the US into WW2 finally.

Again, they included that Nazi propaganda movie bitch in a tribute when she died, so anything's possible.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Snow Queen. I think that's what's even called in Europe.

Disney was trying to hide the fact that it has a more serious story (boys go ewwwww) and a musical. Laughing

And it's going on Broadway of course.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Frozen yet but from what I heard it's going to be MAJOR competition. I hope the Academy puts into consideration all the other films Miyazaki made when choosing the winner considering this is his final film and all. But while I know Frozen will probably win, I'm still rooting for the underdog! Go Wind Go! Very Happy
TG72

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
It's practically a lock for Frozen for this category and for Best Song. I find it hard to take too seriously when Arietty and Summer Wars weren't even in the running for a nomination in their respective years...

I do think that Miyazaki will get the Lifetime Achievement award somewhere down the road (which would probably make for an even better moment for him).
Chocolate_Bar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

MU wasn't a sequel retard and Planes wasn't animated by Pixar. How many stupid posters and sheeple (Frozen tards) are gonna comment on this article?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Chocolate_Bar wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

MU wasn't a sequel retard and Planes wasn't animated by Pixar. How many stupid posters and sheeple (Frozen tards) are gonna comment on this article?

Enjoy your ban.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

The ads turned me off from the movie originally as well. Even later trailers that showed the other characters didn't give me much of an idea of the story, yet alone give me interest in the movie. I think what sold me on wanting to see it was when Disney posted the clip of Elsa singing "Let It Go" on their YouTube channel; I loved the animation in that sequence as well as the song itself. I did see it a couple of weeks after it went into theaters and I really liked it. I think it was 10x better than what the trailers were showing. Although I guess that's not saying much when you think about it. XP

It's super awesome that The Wind Rises was at least nominated. But I don't think it can beat Frozen, especially not with how much Disney has put into it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
It's practically a lock for Frozen for this category and for Best Song. I find it hard to take too seriously when Arietty and Summer Wars weren't even in the running for a nomination in their respective years...

The Borrowers Arrietty wasn't eligible, it was a 2010 release in Japan but wasn't released in North America until early 2012, just a hair beyond the one calender year extension the Academy grants foreign films in the category to play in Los Angeles for a week. Since 2011 was such a weak year for animation, Disney could've done a late autumn L.A. screening before the wider release in February 2012 and I think it would have had a decent shot at the nomination, but they didn't.

Whatever faint chances Summer Wars, which I actually liked, might have had for getting nominated for 2010 were pretty much shot down when not enough animated movies were submitted for there to be 5 nominations that year. There were only three nomination slots, Toy Story 3 and How To Train Your Dragon were shoe-ins, and Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist was the foreign animated film with enough critical momentum to be nominated. Even if there had been five nominees that year, Summer Wars would have to have duked it out with the not-nominated-but-still-successful Tangled and Despicable Me for the remaining slots and I don't think that's a battle the Jinnouchi family could've won.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5