• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Haruhi Fans Lobby for Restoration of Sacred Site Icon

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

I never really understood the whole "sacred site" visit phenomenon (and I know it's not exclusive to anime fans; plenty of people visit certain buildings used in movies too). It's like, whoopee, someone redrew this clock in a background from this series! Exciting!

They have these all over the places. Like in NYC alone, they have these hotspots tours for: Sex and the City, TMZ, Sopranos, Gossip Girl, Mad Men, and other TV and movies, etc.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Student no.0 wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:
Nice to see that Haruhi Suzumiya still has a dedicated fanbase.

And hopefully it's still strong enough for it to get released again in the West (and hopefully not at an incredibly expensive price either) along with Lucky Star.

+1

I would be completely satisfied and content with a Sentai re-release (would be nice if NISA picked them up though).

Top Gun wrote:

I never really understood the whole "sacred site" visit phenomenon (and I know it's not exclusive to anime fans; plenty of people visit certain buildings used in movies too). It's like, whoopee, someone redrew this clock in a background from this series! Exciting!

It's just one of those things associated with being a big fan of a show/movie. If you are a big fan, chances are that you are very interested in seeing the inspiration and origins of the work in question. Additionally, visiting these "sacred sites" rekindles the experience of the fan watching and enjoying the show as it was coming out (in other words, it's nostalgia-inducing, which people love).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Your screen name is Top Gun, and you have an F-14 Tomcat as your avatar. Don't tell me you wouldn't be interested in visiting MCAS Miramar, if you haven't already done so.

I don't even know what that is, so no, I wouldn't. Very Happy

But seriously, being a fan of something is fine, but getting to the point where you're going out of your way to see places just because they happened to appear in a TV show just feels like going a bit too far to me personally. I mean, I'm a big fan of my fair share of fictional worlds, and I like learning about the process involved in coming up with them, but I guess I don't see the need to go and visit there myself when a picture usually suffices.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
They are animating bigger and better things now. If they were not..... Haruhi would still be relevant.

I am still a Haruist, btw.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
^ "Endless Eight" didn't reuse footage. Every episode was animated from scratch. You can see for yourself [url=/2010/01/29/watch-all-8-endless-eight-episodes-in-one-video/]here[/url] (videos of all 8 episodes at once).

That is what impresses me the most about Haruhi. It's a subtle thing, but the fact they went through the effort of animating each episode rather than lazily copy and pasting the footage is amazing to me. It's why I don't have much issue with the endless eight. It's an interesting idea and experiment.

-Stuart Smith

Supposedly, the animators were not happy about it themselves, though. Imagine having to animate 8 entire episodes of the same plot points. Or storyboard them so they don't clash and are different, yet hopefully exciting. They DO actually have a progressive purpose, but it's so subtle, it's still mostly just a compilation of random things we've seen before in each episode, with a little bit of addition in each...

I also don't have as much of a problem with them now, considering they practically forced sympathy on us toward Nagato, and followed up that point with one of the best animated films out there (being a huge Madoka fan, I could claim the film was even better than Rebellion, which is inevitably another top-rank film in my eyes). Without Endless Eight's torturous repetition, I don't think I would've enjoyed the animated adaption of my favorite Haruhi novel as much as I did.
Of course, if I told myself this back in 2009, when I was ripping half of my hair out just trying to understand what motivated them to even attempt such a thing, I probably wouldn't have believed it. Anime hyper
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
Infinite 8 was a groundhogs day effect that will never happen again. It was an event to behold. It was fantastic with the 8 parter with the end that felt refreshing once it finally arrived.

People were pissed, because they're favorite parts from the light novel did not get animated. Instead being wasted on Infinite 8.

Thats not my opinion though. It wasn't wasted, I loved all of it.

Sadly, KyoAni has moved on.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
I think my opinion on "Endless Eight" in anime form is that I don't love it but I appreciate the sheer audacity of it all.

I'd rather KyoAni would make more Haruhi Suzumiya anime (besides the upcoming Disappearance of Yuki Nagato, based on the manga spin-off, which I do enjoy), but, if The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is the last of the main storyline that will ever get animated, it ended on a really high note.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
But seriously, being a fan of something is fine, but getting to the point where you're going out of your way to see places just because they happened to appear in a TV show just feels like going a bit too far to me personally. I mean, I'm a big fan of my fair share of fictional worlds, and I like learning about the process involved in coming up with them, but I guess I don't see the need to go and visit there myself when a picture usually suffices.

Never understood why certain people within fandoms feel that their way of participating is the only way or right way of participating......

People express themselves within fandoms in different ways. There is no right or wrong way to be a fan of something.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
I didn't see anything on KyoAni's site, but searching around i seen.

"a special message that showed up if you visited haruhi.tv on an Android device"

Very cool if so.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Your screen name is Top Gun, and you have an F-14 Tomcat as your avatar. Don't tell me you wouldn't be interested in visiting MCAS Miramar, if you haven't already done so.

I don't even know what that is, so no, I wouldn't. Very Happy

Then let me educate you. Marine Corps Air Station Miramar is a military airfield located near San Diego. Prior to 1999, it was Naval Air Station Miramar, which just so happens to be one of the main settings of... Top Gun. Many scenes from the movie were actually filmed on location in and around the base. I doubt the base itself is open to the public, but there's an aviation museum on the grounds that is, and there's also an air show every October (which got cancelled last year due to the government shutdown, but I hope it'll be back this year).
omiya

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

It adds to the interest and gives you a bit of insight into the inspiration for the stories. Sometimes I only found out about connections between places I visited in Japan and their use in anime after the fact, but still appreciated it.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
But seriously, being a fan of something is fine, but getting to the point where you're going out of your way to see places just because they happened to appear in a TV show just feels like going a bit too far to me personally.

It would definitely be going too far for me because I would need to go (deeper) into debt just to get to Japan. Even if I had the money I would feel like I was going too far if I spent it on an anime pilgrimage.
But if somebody has other reasons for going to Japan, or is actually already in Japan, then I do not think that it is going too far to take a side trip to see some places that are featured in your favorite shows.

Quote:
I mean, I'm a big fan of my fair share of fictional worlds, and I like learning about the process involved in coming up with them, but I guess I don't see the need to go and visit there myself when a picture usually suffices.

Pictures are often enough for many people. A lot of the people who read travel books never actually travel.
Pictures are usually enough for me, but sometimes it would be nice to have more.

If it was not going too far I really would like to see some of those anime shrines. For the Haruhi clock I think that the attraction would not really be just seeing the clock. I would want to stand where the clock is and look around at other things, and walk around to the train station, and the library, and the path where Kyon and Mikuru sat on the bench and Haruhi made the cherry trees bloom.
Being there can give you a lot of things that you just cannot get from pictures.

Last edited by Touma on Tue May 20, 2014 7:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phifedawg

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
so this is what Haruhi fans do for fun
melmouth

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Now, that explains why the place looked weird, I went to Japan early this year and visited nearly all of the locations from the anime, seeing as I was lodging nearby.
Quote:

Envy!

I read all the volumes of the light novel after seeing the anime. When I read about your trip and imagined going round to all the sites like you did, I suddenly realized why I had loved the story so much. Reading it was like having a tight group of friends, every one of whom was interesting, PLUS a great mystery. I don't have many friends, and certainly most of the ones I have aren't nearly as interesting as the Haruhi bunch. And the mystery was top notch. How pleasant to travel around the setting of such a great story, reliving its moments!
omiya

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
But seriously, being a fan of something is fine, but getting to the point where you're going out of your way to see places just because they happened to appear in a TV show just feels like going a bit too far to me personally.

It would definitely be going too far for me because I would need to go (deeper) into debt just to get to Japan. Even if I had the money I would feel like I was going too far if I spent it on an anime pilgrimage.
But if somebody has other reasons for going to Japan, or is actually already in Japan, then I do not think that it is going too far to take a side trip to see some places that are featured in your favorite shows.

Quote:
I mean, I'm a big fan of my fair share of fictional worlds, and I like learning about the process involved in coming up with them, but I guess I don't see the need to go and visit there myself when a picture usually suffices.

Pictures are often enough for many people. A lot of the people who read travel books never actually travel.
Pictures are usually enough for me, but sometimes it would be nice to have more.

[...]

Being there can give you a lot of things that you just cannot get from pictures.

Agreed, there is so much more to experience than what someone else's photos will give you.

I do blame the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series and seeing videoes of concert footage including "Yuki muon madobe nite (live) - Minori Chihara"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS9ELNE3sUI

for making me want to visit Japan, but one can combine specific events (mainly music of anime concerts in my case) and attempting to see as much else of Japan as possible, which can add pilgrimage sites whether intended or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2