• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 10 Anime and Manga at Japan Media Arts Festival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
polls, polls... one comes in, next month another will....

People, these lists are really pointless, why, because the market is flooding every year with new titles, and maybe you never will see your series there, one time Shueisha did a compilation of the best 100 series of all time, enough space to fit Naruto, ruroken and gundam W in the same bag, in reality the market changes all the time (aren't you old school fans complaining that the new fans just like the "new anime" and ignore or dislike the classic ones?)

One time, a high rep of Bandai told me "In america there is no market for classic anime" and the "market hits" here were odd ones, Akira, ninja scroll, and some others performed average in japan while in the rest of the world were the top hits on what we will call "the japanimation age" were we just discover that in the other side of the world they happen to do ultraviolent cartoons with big eyes, and we were willing to spend quite some money on it.

So what with this list and the next ones coming out? always, every year the market is going to change and the anime is going to change, we know that Evangelion, gundam and some miyazaki movies will be there, we also know that the legendary series in some point won't ever be even mentioned to give room to the new ones coming out.

Since I will agree with some titles, I disagree with most of the titles of the list, maybe Im not the target audience but certainly my favorites that are great pieces of work (anybody seen 20th century boys there? berserk?) are not in the list, so I will let the conformist to generate random titles and put them on lists so all of you are guided like a pack of little lambs on what they want you to think...Oh..that title is there..so I was right then..it was the best anime of all time...Conformists...

YYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH.......
Shuchung

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Since I will agree with some titles, I disagree with most of the titles of the list, maybe Im not the target audience but certainly my favorites that are great pieces of work (anybody seen 20th century boys there? berserk?) are not in the list, so I will let the conformist to generate random titles and put them on lists so all of you are guided like a pack of little lambs on what they want you to think...Oh..that title is there..so I was right then..it was the best anime of all time...Conformists...

YYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH.......

Berserk #25
20th Century Boys #36
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
ups my bad, I didn't see that

yeaahhhhh!!!!!

what position Grappler Baki is in? Shinobuden?

thanks M' mate
halochief_90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
I definitely agree that the manga poll is better than the anime poll, especially considering how the write-in top 10 ranged from classics like Maison Ikkoku and Five Stories to more recent fare like Hikaru no Go and Negima.
This is only pure speculation on my part, but I'm guessing that while manga is huge in Japan, it's maybe isn't quite up there with anime. Given the fact that there were nearly the same number of votes put into both manga and anime (1000 more for anime I think), it could be that some people who were there to vote for anime, decided to vote for manga as well, even though they've maybe only read on a few series'. If what I'm thinking is true, this could change up some comparisons.

Edit:Fixed quote

Last edited by halochief_90 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
free2slap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Don't care about a poll but i'm glad to see Mushishi twice in both category.,
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
As I suspected, Nausicaa is Japan's favorite Miyazaki movie (mine too). I'm actually quite suprised, that top 10 anime list is pretty similar to ANN's top 10 list, as far as titles in the list not actual order.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
The "problem" with GW that caused its exclusion is that so many gunotas reject it because it's so radically different. They want UC Gundam, preferably Tomino's work only.

Considering G Gundam and Turn-A Gundam are beloved fan-favourites, your "it's hated for being different" claim falls painfully short, and your claim that Gundam fans only want Tomino's work falls even shorter (especially when you factor in the amount of worship Gundam X gets in Gundam fan circles). Nevermind the fact that Endless Waltz is fairly well received within the Gundam fanbase, too. Wing has script problems, simple as that, and your pouty snipe at the fanbase isn't going to change that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
moin126

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Iritscen wrote:
The "problem" with GW that caused its exclusion is that so many gunotas reject it because it's so radically different. They want UC Gundam, preferably Tomino's work only.

Considering G Gundam and Turn-A Gundam are beloved fan-favourites, your "it's hated for being different" claim falls painfully short, and your claim that Gundam fans only want Tomino's work falls even shorter (especially when you factor in the amount of worship Gundam X gets in Gundam fan circles). Nevermind the fact that Endless Waltz is fairly well received within the Gundam fanbase, too. Wing has script problems, simple as that, and your pouty snipe at the fanbase isn't going to change that.

i didn't notice any script problems. You know maybe this is just looking at it to professionally.(little details Rolling Eyes )But also i tried some other gundam series and they seem, more childish. Gw in my opinion is a nice serie because, It gets you from the start with 5 different characters, who develope trough the story.
All are interesting in their own way, and slowly you get to know their thoughts and ideals. I think that makes for a good show. because there is always someone you can relate to etc. interesting characters make a good show. I agree the plot is sometimes hard, maybe some things are lost in translation. But overall its good and i didn't notice any mayor script problems that could harm the show.What got me the most was how they where really smart. and planned their tactics. Not just stupid combat :S Or natural ability .... They where trained Cool.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to suggest we stop with this post and start a new thread for this in the Anime forum. For now, though...

moin126 wrote:
i didn't notice any script problems. You know maybe this is just looking at it to professionally.(little details Rolling Eyes )

Most of the characters lack a logical sense to their actions, few really develop, and the series is rife with plot holes. The actions of many individuals and organizations (Zechs, for example) are given little explanation, and many plot elements (White Fang) just show up with no other motivation than the previous plot elements were all written into a corner and the series needed more crap to pad out its full run. The story also completely loses its way in the middle and takes some twenty episodes just to affect any sort of plot again. Nevermind the over usage of Deus ex Machina all over the place.

These are not "little details," these are cardinal rules of writing and storytelling being completely spat on.

moin126 wrote:
But also i tried some other gundam series and they seem, more childish.

Do explain (in another thread, not in here). I fail to see how Gundam Wing is any less childish than a Gundam SEED or Mobile Suit Gundam, given that they were all aimed at elementary school-aged boys anyway. And I fail to see how Wing could be any more "mature" than the various Gundam OVAs aimed at the older end of the Gundam fanbase who'd grown up with the original series (08th MS, MS IGLOO, et al).

moin126 wrote:
Gw in my opinion is a nice serie because, It gets you from the start with 5 different characters, who develope trough the story.

That's hardly new, nor hardly exclusive to Wing. SEED gave you Athrun, Kira, Cagalli, and to a lesser extent the le Klueze Team. G Gundam gave you Domon, Chibodee, Sai, Argo, and George. Astray is almost criminal with main characters, offering up Lowe, Gai, Mina, Prayer, Canard, Jess, Kaite, Agnes, with no-doubt more in store. And looking outside of Gundam, series with multiple leads are even greater in number: Mai-HiME (Mai, Mikoto, Natsuki), Ghost in the Shell (Motoko, Batou, Aramaki, Togusa, to a lesser extent the remainder of Section 9), Wolf's Rain (Kiba, Tsume, Hige, Toboe), Nanoha (Nanoha, Fate, Hayate, Chrono, Yuuno), and just about any Shounen Jump series that ever existed (Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, One Piece et al).

Just because it has multiple leads to follow doesn't make it unique or good by default.

moin126 wrote:
All are interesting in their own way, and slowly you get to know their thoughts and ideals. I think that makes for a good show. because there is always someone you can relate to etc. interesting characters make a good show.

The problem is that these characters are not written properly. Three of them are written to be so cold and silent that you never really get to know them beyond a couple contrived flashbacks, and even then they're so stern and emotionally distant that it would take a truly unbalanced person to really associate with them. Hell, Heero's so flatly written that he doesn't even develop or mature as a character beyond shutting up about his need to kill Relena. And the other four require some ridiculous Deus ex Machina (Zero System) in order to finally grow as characters themselves. It's pretty sad when your characters are so static and resistent to change that it takes a magical robot computer (along with a snappy, retconning OVA) to force character development out of them.

moin126 wrote:
What got me the most was how they where really smart. and planned their tactics. Not just stupid combat :S Or natural ability .... They where trained Cool.

They weren't trained, they were plot-shielded. Any mobile suit they sat in was immune to destruction unless they destroyed it. The most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in an anime was Heero single-handedly using an indestructable Leo to wipe out a whole fleet of beam-shielded enemy suits with a beam rifle. Not only are there plot holes involved (these same beam shields stop this same beam rifle in every other instance), but it's ridiculous that this character is able to just stand there and fire into the air and survive when every other pilot in that same suit model is instantly gunned down (purely because they're not important characters). There's no "strategy" here, it's crappy writing.

And yes, every anime has some level of plot shielding on their main characters, but it's never been more disgustingly, blatantly obvious to the point of being a distraction than in Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED Destiny (though at least when Athrun boarded a grunt ZAKU or GOUF he got kicked around a bit).

And as far as "planning their tactics," no such thing happened. They pretty much did nothing else BUT run in guns a-blazing, and then self-destructing when things didn't go their way. Well, that, or pull some predictable, generic "spy vs. spy" move seen in about a billion other action anime and managing to survive despite falling from a several-dozen-story building or basically blowing themselves up in the process. It was laughable. Granted, Gundam never really was known for genius tactical maneuvers (Char fools the Federation with a balloon fleet?), but at least other series showed more effort in showcasing strategy than having the lead character pull some unnecessarily flashy suicidal stunt and surviving by plot contrivance ("looks like I'm falling to my death, but conveniently I stuffed this seemingly useless portable helicopter in my spandex shorts for just such an infinitely unlikely situation!" or "uh-oh, it's gonna blow up, luckily, I know precisely where the override switch is on this mobile suit I've never seen before!") and character shielding alone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
markzor3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:10 am Reply with quote
wow.. very suprising that One Piece wasn't on the anime top list since the series was a popular hit in japan?
jstrahan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I guess there's no accounting for taste.
fujiwara

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Yay for Neon Genesis Evangelion! I'm glad that even after 11 years it still comes out at number one in Japan. It's testament to it's quality that it can keep pop hits like fullmetal alchemist and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex out of the top spot.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quote
Miyazaki is the man in Japan, with four movies in the top ten. Impressive.
Yukimura9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm not surprised Evangelion and Miyazaki movies are in the list. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5