• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Cancelled Psycho-Pass Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Anime hyper Apologies for judging a show just from summaries of the plot, I guess. I do try to avoid doing that. I'm guessing you think their summaries are completely wrong?

Even if a reviewer's' summary is accurate in describing events that occurred, it still becomes slanted as it is there interpretation and individual expectations that make up said summary, as such it would be a notable fallacy to use someone else's experience to base an opinion even if they end up sharing a portion of how you might take the media.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Anime hyper Apologies for judging a show just from summaries of the plot, I guess. I do try to avoid doing that. I'm guessing you think their summaries are completely wrong?

Even if a reviewer's' summary is accurate in describing events that occurred, it still becomes slanted as it is there interpretation and individual expectations that make up said summary, as such it would be a notable fallacy to use someone else's experience to base an opinion even if they end up sharing a portion of how you might take the media.

spoiler[Does Homura really turn into the Big Bad at the end? Because that's what I'm reacting negatively to. I don't particularly want to see the character I considered the main hero of the entire piece be turned into the villain at the end. That would really ruin Madoka for me forever.]

Also, I feel partly to blame for this suddenly turning into a Madoka thread. We can drop it or take it to PMs. Let me just return to my initial idea that Psycho-Pass was mixed on its lesbian characters. Yes, it had the worn-out Psycho Lesbian stereotype, but Yayoi, especially in the episode focused on her, came across to me as rather functional and a victim of the system that stigmatized having any mental problems at all (which is partly me watching it as someone with a well-managed mood disorder). And the girl who's implied to be a lesbian spoiler[who survives] was a good person and spoiler[winds up joining the team. We'll see how next season treats her, I suppose.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Let me just return to my initial idea that Psycho-Pass was mixed on its lesbian characters. Yes, it had the worn-out Psycho Lesbian stereotype, but Yayoi, especially in the episode focused on her, came across to me as rather functional and a victim of the system that stigmatized having any mental problems at all (which is partly me watching it as someone with a well-managed mood disorder). And the girl who's implied to be a lesbian spoiler[who survives] was a good person and spoiler[winds up joining the team. We'll see how next season treats her, I suppose.]

When it comes to characters with certain "Unique qualities" such as being part of the LGBT community or any given social minority the method to write side characters is... to write the character first.

I can't say for certain if Urobuchi did so, however it felt much more convincing that a character like Yayoi was not written simply to be the "token good lesbian", while she did not have as much screen time as the main leads her presence was recognizable and certainly the character was developed just enough that one could see her existing independently of the series to some degree, the important part is that she was MORE than an individual aspect.

That said, even the victims of the story arc weren't just "school girl lesbians" some of them had friends, hopes, dreams and Rikako would prey upon those aspects to corner them.

To reiterate the point, a good writer understands that if you are trying to write a character you don't just write up an overused stereotype and place them into the narrative.

Last edited by FenixFiesta on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
Honestly, the... event... in Rebellion felt like spoiler[an allegory for rape] to me. Turned me completely off of the franchise as a whole.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
I'm intrigued with all these spoilers floating around. I got to watch the show.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
(spoilers for the original Psycho-Pass ending)

I find it hard to see anti gay messages in a show where spoiler[the only functional relationship that survives it to the ending (not just in sexual, but in broader, general relationship terms) is a gay one], but if I remember correctly, there were some anti woman statements made as well along the way because of the nature of some of the most brutal scenes, and my thoughts were more along the lines of: spoiler[The strongest character of the show is a woman, the one they place their hopes for the future in is a girl, the only surviving relationship is, as mentioned, one between two women, one of them even making a statement about how the people that are going to change the future will not be the men of the past (if my memory is working correctly on that one, it's been a while since I watched that episode), and I was thinking:] How would people see this as anything but a girl power message?

It's understandable they pulled the episode. Why risk offending or hurting people who might have been affected by the tragic events.

Last edited by Knoepfchen on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Honestly, the... event... in Rebellion felt like spoiler[an allegory for rape] to me. Turned me completely off of the franchise as a whole.
spoiler[
The events had context, the common complaint is that "Rebellion's narrative choices came out of no where" when clearly the movie itself and the series hinted about the characteristics of Homura's obsession with Madoka.]
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Dessa wrote:
spoiler[
The events had context, the common complaint is that "Rebellion's narrative choices came out of no where" when clearly the movie itself and the series hinted about the characteristics of Homura's obsession with Madoka.]

I've seen the series, I've seen all 3 movies. It still felt like spoiler[rape] to me. I'm just glad I'd enjoyed F/Z and Gargantia, and Gaim had already started, or it might've turned me off of Urobuchi's work completely.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've seen the series, I've seen all 3 movies. It still felt like spoilerspoiler[[rape]] to me. I'm just glad I'd enjoyed F/Z and Gargantia, and Gaim had already started, or it might've turned me off of Urobuchi's work completely.

Not saying that it appear to be as such, simply that Homura's actions had a context.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
The decision to not show the episode makes sense given the circumstances. What I am a bit surprised is that an episode from a late-night anime (that only a tiny portion of the Japanese population would have watched) could be this relevant/important in regards to a real-life murder.

*minor spoilers*
spoiler[The episode is part of a 2 part arc where a schoolgirl kills students, and chops them up to make sculptures.]

So yeah, bad timing.

spoiler[With the 1 hour episodes, they probably put the whole arc in that episode.]
But, yeah. Really bad timing... Kind of like if Tokyo Magnitude 8 (I think that was the title) had been scheduled to broadcast right after the earthquake/tsunami a couple of years ago...
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

But, yeah. Really bad timing... Kind of like if Tokyo Magnitude 8 (I think that was the title) had been scheduled to broadcast right after the earthquake/tsunami a couple of years ago...

Fun fact, Madoka Magica's finale had a delay in production, the delay was then compounded by the cited Earthquake/Tsunami.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. "re-cuts" and "cuts"...
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
zensunni wrote:

Fun fact, Madoka Magica's finale had a delay in production, the delay was then compounded by the cited Earthquake/Tsunami.

You've got your facts a little muffed. The quake hit just after ep 10 aired. The studio was hit fairly bad PLUS scenes in ep 11/12 looked kinda like the aftermath of a quake so they chose to hold off airing them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4