• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star Anime; Strike Witches, Steins;Gate Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad mac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Don't care so much about the other stuff but oooh, D-Frag. I'll happily pick that one up.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

I keep hearing that, but most Gundam series were among the shows that topped the Cartoon Network ratings at the time of their airings. Especially Wing, SEED and 00. How is Gundam not popular in the USA, especially Wing? Sounds a bit pessimistic to me.

Wing was fine.

If being 2nd best to as well as being not far behind Dragon Ball Z is 'fine' then what's 'great'?

Lynx Amali wrote:

Seed and 00 on the other hand? Seed got horrible ratings due to the fact that CN kept moving it around and editing it.

And 00 NEVER aired on CN. It never aired in Canada too, you know, where the voice cast is from. It only aired SyFy (on the short-lived anime block) and was absolutely butchered in terms of scenes being cut for commercials.

Now I know better. Such a shame.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
I am so glad they are getting more Freezing because that is 1 of my fave harems and I really enjoyed Caitlin Glass' Satellizer.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

I keep hearing that, but most Gundam series were among the shows that topped the Cartoon Network ratings at the time of their airings. Especially Wing, SEED and 00. How is Gundam not popular in the USA, especially Wing? Sounds a bit pessimistic to me.

Wing was fine.

Seed and 00 on the other hand? Seed got horrible ratings due to the fact that CN kept moving it around and editing it.

And 00 NEVER aired on CN. It never aired in Canada too, you know, where the voice cast is from. It only aired SyFy (on the short-lived anime block) and was absolutely butchered in terms of scenes being cut for commercials.

Just adding to the comments, besides the 3 series mentioned here, I count other 9 tv series, 5 OVA's and 4 movies in the Gundam catalog. That is a lot of anime to license, especially if they are not popular over here.

I know I am no expert to say that Gundam is not popular in R1. But Justin Sevakis, Mike Toole and Daryl Surat are experts, and they also say that Gundam is not popular in North America.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Detrimont wrote:
still no hyouka Sad

Seriously!!!! I honestly have given hope that Hyouka will ever get a NA release. It is probably my favorite KyoAni show too, so that sucks. If by some miracle it does though, I will be super thrilled.

I think it is ridiculous that it hasn't been licensed. It's Kyoani so it will sell and it actually got pretty good reviews, way better than Beyond the Boundary which already has been licensed.

It just really annoys me that certain series will get licensed because of their genre no matter the fact they weren't very popular and yet other series aren't given a chance because of their genre.

Sure not everything is going to go mainstream but that doesn't mean it won't sell just as much as the generic fanservice, horror or action series that ALWAYS gets picked up.

The only reason I think it hasn't been licensed is because it is essentially "undubbable" and it is so full of Japanese puns, word play and other aspects of their culture that I bet most licensors feel like it wouldn't be successful. It definitelyhas a niche fanbase, but I still think it would be worth it for ssomeone to grab. I honestly think it is their best show and one of the prettiest too. I've contemplated buying the JP blu-rays but can't justify the price without subs.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Gundam's popularity in America should be measured by how you define "popular". While it certainly is more popular than some niche series, it's likely not as popular as SAO, Titan, or Eva.
yuetheguardian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Gundam's popularity in America should be measured by how you define "popular". While it certainly is more popular than some niche series, it's likely not as popular as SAO, Titan, or Eva.
I define Gundam by staying power, gundam may not have ever been a run away success in america but it keeps it solid fan base and really only grows. I dare you in 10 years to ask about SAO. I DARE you. but ask about gundam and your more likely to find someone who knows what that is. heck i'm not even sure AOT is going to have the staying power like eva and Gundam heck i thought deathnote would have but that fanbase has grown really quiet lately. Keep in mind i also use this against myself in 10 years unless if nageru tanigawa gets off their butt and makes more haruhi in 10 years its going to be forgotten too.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Ok counterpoint

Gundam is known outside of the anime fan community, Eva achieved the same level of success as non-anime fans do recognize what it is..

As for SAO, and Titan...... no
I use a term called flavor of the month titles... Both of these fall under that spectrum. Now the future will determine if they have the longetivity that Gundam has,,, 1979 and still going.
Eva 1996 and still going...

Hit me back up in 2034 and we can discuss if SAO or Titan is still even notable.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
IanRootBeerDubber wrote:
With Lucky Star's OVA licensed by Funimation, there'll be no need to cut out the Sgt. Frog references.

Was the Bandai release of the Lucky Star OVA edited to remove references to Sgt. Frog?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
If Funi rescues Gundam from Bandai entertainment they will be my licensing hero.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

As for SAO, and Titan...... no

SAO and Attack on Titan are not even comparable in terms of popularity. SAO was a hit among anime fans. Titan was a hit and reached outside the anime community.

I am pretty sure Titan is more than the flavor of the month (and I am not even that big of a fan of it).
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
If Funi was smart they'd release both Haruhi seasons in one set, but section off the Endless Eight onto one single disc that can easily be thrown out.

Agreed full stop
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I wonder if I should hold out and wait for Funi's version of the Steins;Gate movie, or go for the LE import. I doubt Funi will do anything special with it.

I think the LE import was worth it, mainly because you got 2 hours of extra drama cds. The OST cd, and a complete artbook + the light novels that were given out during the theater run. (which is nice if you know Japanese)

The subs are watchable, and far more faithful to the Japanese script than the dub for the t.v series was.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
I was wondering when Funi would finally get around to releasing the Strike Witches movie, so that is welcome news.

It's surprising to see that Haruhi and Lucky Star were in limbo for so long. Will Funi do some limited editions of Lucky Star and re-release the t-shirts? There's probably a few thousand still sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Twisted Evil
I'd be satisfied with a quick pressing of a few hundred copies of Lucky Star Vol. 6, similar to the way they put out singles of final volume(s) of shows like Karin, Pumpkin Scissors, Welcome to the NHK, and Kanon that they picked up from ADV and Geneon.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I wonder if I should hold out and wait for Funi's version of the Steins;Gate movie, or go for the LE import. I doubt Funi will do anything special with it.

I think the LE import was worth it, mainly because you got 2 hours of extra drama cds. The OST cd, and a complete artbook + the light novels that were given out during the theater run. (which is nice if you know Japanese)

The subs are watchable, and far more faithful to the Japanese script than the dub for the t.v series was.

Damn, for the price that does seem worth it. I will most definitely pick that up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8