• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kuroko's Basketball Manga to End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
perroloco: Unfortunately, as far as volume-specific numbers go, for Saint Seiya, the website only has vol 19's (600k). For Shaman King, just vol 17 (620k) and vol 24 (600k).
For modern comparables, those are in between Toriko 29 (540k) and Bleach 62 (660k).
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Bakuman, Buso renki, Death Note, etc.. a lot of animes are made after the mangas end, is it weird and not very common? Yes, but it has happened.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
This is what I don't get...

Their whole Seirin team is first and second year players. All of the relevant antagonists are also first year players. They could have kept this thing going another year without having to replace anyone. I'm not sure why it was written that way if they weren't going to take advantage of it.

Not to mention, Kuroko going through the entire series as the only main player never to enter "the zone" is sort of a buzzkill.

Of course, Slam Dunk was wrapped up suddenly and with so much more storyline to tell, so this isn't exactly a brand new development.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those who thought Fujimaki's endgame for the series was reuniting the Generation of Miracles (minus Kuroko) and having them play against Seirin, so I'm very surprised to see the series end so soon. I guess he felt he couldn't top the Seirin/Rakuzan match.

I'm worried about the effect it will have on the anime adaptation, though. With 106 chapters left to adapt, I hope they'll make the third season longer instead of rushing to cover everything in just 25 episodes.
Monocle_Grizzly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see end, but I'm also happy that it won't run forever.
yappers4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I've read in an official interview that the creator wanted to do an arc where the Generation of Miracles were competing on the same team in a competition of some sort as the final arc. I guess that dream won't be realized. Sad
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
simona.com wrote:
It would be very silly on both Jump and Fujimaki's part not to do a second series. it's also *very* weird that they finish such a best seller with no notice whatsoever. we'll see.

I could easily see a second series reuniting the GoM in college perhaps because by that time an entirely new world of strong competitors could be created. It would also make an interesting angle if the GoM get stomped in their first college game to show that while there were the big fish in the pond, they are now in the sea.
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
It seemed like it was sadly coming to an end, but I thought it would take a few chapters to properly tie everything up since there are so many characters.

Kuroko no Basuke is one of my favourites and also my first sport anime and manga. I'll really miss it! Sad
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
@Somewhere thanks Smile its a shame that they don't have the date for the last couple of volumes, it would have been nice to know the print runs of these series that got them cancelled.

Guys, is probably going to continue in SQ or something anyway, A LOT of JUMP popular mangas heck.. a lot of popular mangas in general, not just JUMP get sequels or spin-offs, I can totally see a "New Kuroko no basket" or something like that in SQ.

In fact sports manga from JUMP tend to get sequels, like Captain Tsubasa, Midori no makibao, Prince of Tennis, Ring ni Kakero, etc.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I am actually glad it wont be one of those shows that keep on going for 10+ years. Ending it on a high note while people still consider it "good" is better than dragging it out
shi666san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Although I found the WC final match to be disgusting and my least favorite match of the entire series, I at least wanted to get around 2-3 more chapters for a good epilogue to show us what everyone (the kiseki) is doing in the near future. Too bad that doesn't seem like it's going to be the case.

Oh, well. Other than that I'm glad it's over because it was just getting ridiculous. Might as well end it on a "high" note.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
^Pretty much my feelings. I hated the last match, it dragged so long and was so boring for the most part I just wanted to click skip on it. Even though I don't want the manga to end, if Fujimaki thinks this was the natural conclusion of the story that's okay, but I really wanted a couple proper epilogue chapters to finish tying all the loose ends, especially the broken relationships between the GoM, and it seems like just one chapter won't be enough for that.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I believe is obvious that the last chapter will be longer than a normal chapter. I will even say that it would have content of at least 2 or 3 normal chapters!
Why do you think it will be a 15 pages final chapter? It will certainly not be such a thing.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I find it hard to believe that WSJ would let its 2nd best selling series to end, and with such short notice too. Especially with Bleach and Naruto approaching their finales too, who's gonna bring the money in? The previous chapter didn't hint any such thing either, are you sure you're not mistranslating something?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-01/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2013

I take it your using this as your evidence? Well that's called an anime boost expect a drop for 2014's total numbers just like Blue Exorcist had.

Blue Exorcist 2011 3rd
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2011

Blue Exorcist 2012 18th
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-02/30-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2012

If Kuroko's Basketball can stay in the top 5 for 2014 (or sell 1 million a volume) then it's a mega hit rather than just a "big" hit.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope Fujimaki spend like 100 pages wrapping things up for the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5