• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
If I remember my Bubblegum Crisis history correctly, it was originally supposed to be 13 episodes long instead of the 8 that we got. I believe it was cancelled, in part, due to a contract dispute with Kinuko Oomori's record label. This is also the reason why she was replaced by Ryôko Tachikawa as Priss in Bubblegum Crash.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
One Piece Film: Gold - I'm not the biggest One Piece fan (I was a big fan before it was dubbed in English), but my friend wanted me to show this movie to me. I haven't read or seen the series in a while, so the movie was nothing too spoil heavy. The movie was pretty fun to watch. The animation was great and I love the setting in the movie. Big fans of the series will love the movie and probably consider it to be the best in the series. As a causal fan, I enjoy it. It was a bit long, but I didn't mind watching it. I will probably check out the dub one day. Grade: 7/10

Scramble Wars - This was a fun short and silly crossover. It was cool seeing these characters together in one big race. The interactions that we had with these characters from Artmic was a lot of fun to see. This anime is like Wacky Races with characters from Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force, Genesis Survivor Gaiarth and many others.

There was some funny moments that did give me a good laugh. I have a soft spot for SD type of anime, so I'm glad that I watch this. If you are a fan of Bubblegum Crisis or SD anime, I would give it a watch. It has some good moments and I enjoy it over Bubblegum Crash any day. Grade: 6/10
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Blood's poor Japanese. I will improve my Japanese if I study more! Do your best! One day, Blood - can speak Japanese!

It's snowing on Mt Fuji.

Noone would probably get the joke, but for some reason it sounded like some sort of weird haiku, and saying the above popped into my head.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Strawberry Marshmallow, a show about four elementary schoolgirls and a woman. It was a fun watch as I saw Chika and Nobue often getting worked up by Miu's mischief and Ana's struggle to learn the Japanese language. On top of that, Nobue's desire to relive being a kid has made her become one of my favorite adult characters I've seen so far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
On top of that, Nobue's desire to relive being a kid has made her become one of my favorite adult characters I've seen so far.

Not sure if I remember it correctly, but I seem to recall that apparently she was younger in the original manga or something, a high schooler, but changed to college age in the anime because she is seen smoking and drinking, and it would be a bit illegal. Sorry if that ruins anything.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Not sure if I remember it correctly, but I seem to recall that apparently she was younger in the original manga or something, a high schooler, but changed to college age in the anime because she is seen smoking and drinking, and it would be a bit illegal. Sorry if that ruins anything.

Then I may see about having a look at the manga sometime. Smile It's not a problem; I'm unaffected by this difference.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
You are correct, Dusky. In the manga, Nobue is only 16.

You actually got it reversed, Mr Oshawott. Ana actually struggles with English despite the fact that she actually is English. Part of the running joke with Ana is that despite being a foreigner, she's behaves like she was born and raised entirely in Japan!

I'm really hoping that another company will pick up the manga rights since Tokyopop stopped publishing it after the fourth volume.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
You actually got it reversed, Mr Oshawott. Ana actually struggles with English despite the fact that she actually is English. Part of the running joke with Ana is that despite being a foreigner, she's behaves like she was born and raised entirely in Japan!

Right; my sincere apologies for misinterpreting that. Anime smile + sweatdrop I forgot the fact that spoiler[Ana spent five years living in Japan after moving from England], which may explain how she seemed as if she was living in Japan her entire life.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
My friend's middle daughter is a bit like Ana in the fact that she struggles with English even though she lives in a bilingual household. I guess that's to be expected since she was born in Japan and is exposed to much more Japanese than English. My friend is convinced that she thinks she's 100% Japanese even though he's American!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I knew someone whose household was trilingual, and they would switch languages every week. When their kid started talking, sentences were a jumble of words and syntax from all three languages, then gradually she'd form complete sentences in one language and the next in another, then "paragraphs" and finally fluency at will in all three. So it might depend on your friend's daughter's age? Of course the three languages were related (English, German and either French or Spanish, I don't recall), so it's probably harder even growing up with it to be bilingual in unrelated languages.

Just finished Kemono Friends, which might just have the best ending of any series I've seen in ages. Very Happy spoiler[So Kaban-chan is Mirai's clone? And is she turning into a Friend or are her fingers becoming gangrenous? At first I thought it was dirt from the tree climb, but her fingers started to turn right after they rescued Lucky Beast. Though I think she should've kept her hat to protect her head, if she was giving it away then the racoon girl should've gotten it instead of Serval-chan, since she went through so much to retrieve it, only to be denied. But everyone coming to the rescue was so awesome!] I really hope they do more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
Ya gotta love Kemono Friends. That was definitely the surprise of the season in terms of how enjoyable it turned out to be.

A mini-update to my the viewing milestone I mentioned a few days ago. I have now seen 512 subbed TV anime shows to completion (Akiba's Trip got the honour) and the significance of that is that it means I have officially seen 4 times as many subbed TV shows as dubbed (512 to 130). I happen to enjoy subs, but the real reason for the disparity in numbers is that I watch so many simulcasts when they come out. On the rare occasion I chip away at my ridiculous physical backlog, I tend to watch the dub, first (unless it's really horrendous).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
Well I watched episode 12, and finished finished, Marginal #4 The Animation, and BS about this being any good idol anime. I don't think I have yet even come across an idol boy anime that I have respected, there are some idol girl anime I have, but being one does not guarantee good opinions, and they too can be pretty base. I will just say that this was no Love Live.

In this last episode, they find out the spoiler[CD they kissed to be sent in to be sent into space was not done so and they sent their senpais' instead], so to solve it one of their members then has to spoiler[travel across the country right before a typhoon and their concert to correct it]. Yes, they sent one of thespoiler[ idols that needed to perform instead of anyone else]. Also, even though it was so hard to get the rocket permission earlier as a plot point, they spoiler[get to just add two extra CDs and their cases in the day before the launch]. And I hate that stupid kiss thing. The rest of the idols boys then have to spoiler[make a plan to get the other idol boy home], instead of say the blank character insert manager talked about so often who's job is managing them. And for their plan they have tospoiler[ wait for all of the boys to get to an airport before sending the plain out so they can go on too, likely slowing it down, just so they can then do a parachute into the concert with all four of them]. There is so much wrong with that I really don't know where to start, and even their singing piece is not even just Marginal #4's, instead it is all three groups and we don't see one just for them.

This show was stupid. It was not any special nuance of being an idol story but them outside of their idol work, instead it was just an excuse to have a boys slice of life with various plots, with idol bits whenever it was convenient, it was not like we saw them practice or anything. They created a club that was kind of random garbage made out of the quirks they assigned each character, like smart one, boy that likes moss, and boy that likes Korean barbeque. Liking Korean barbeque sauce was a quirk. There really was no real depth to these characters or fun despite its attempts to pretend it did, I could not even understand why these guys were idols despite episodes set up to try and explain it. The fans are just set up as impersonal faceless beings that speak in purposeful union like some sort of eldritch creature, their manager just as bad as the one from KanColle.

The only real positive I can think of the series might be the episode with the devil or vampire plot, because it actually felt like something that used the idol setting and the characters personalities. In general though it was just as frustrating as Shounen Hollywood, none of it really felt personal, or believable enough to be fun. Although at the same time their is probably a group that like it, a group of gals that can pretend they are the manager supporting the boys behind the scenes where they thank her, or the faceless cheer screaming girls cheering them on. For me it was just stupid, the episode with all the characters acting out a drama like a rotation of moving these characters to a different story was not even an interesting change of pace. Maybe chances are that I am a hypocrite that I could watch cute girls and let them get away with more, and say that it was still fun, but that is because I can say that I had fun with that. For this I can only be truthful for myself, and I give a rating of Bad (2/10), I really don't recommend it, at least to someone with my tastes, ladies you can go ahead and say if these boys were worth it.

With the mention of Kemono Friends above, I probably watched the wrong show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:35 am Reply with quote
That sounds almost exactly like the ending of B Project. oO I dropped M4 about 5 episodes in because absolutely nothing happened in every episode and the dialog was intolerably dull. And the guys weren't even cute or fun, so there wasn't even that to hang on to. Really, when moss balls and barbecue sauce are the major plot points in an episode, it's kind of a red flag that something's seriously wrong.

If you watched this instead of Kemono Friends, yes, you watched the wrong show. Smile Not too late! Go watch it now before Spring cour starts!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah, there red flags with the show. But how does it look that I can sing praises to Love Live, but not give this a chance. I did watch Urara Meirochou and rate it quite highly despite the fact it should be pretty fluffy with pretty unrealistic characters and own set of silly or fanservice parts that I might say is not too different in concept from Marginal #4, except it switched and aimed more at dudes with moe art. But I liked it because it felt fun, jokes could surprise me and make me laugh, and it did feel like there was a little more to the characters.

I think that I can show myself as not being such a hypocrite as I can point to a bishie show I liked, and I would say shows like Yona of the Dawn, Snow White with the Red Hair, Kamigami no Asobi, and Ouran High. I can say that guys in those shows were pretty cool, and I think it kind of starts with feeling like it is treating the audience with respect, it is not enough to simply say you are aware for myself. Although on the upside it did not make me as angry as Scared Rider Xechs. Actually, and I kind of hate myself for this, but I actually liked the OP of Marginal #4, I thought it was pretty catchy and a good choice.

I have the last episode of Scum’s Wish now, but who knows afterwards.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report:

Working on getting the Merit Episode recap of Ouran out today! Thank you for you putting up with my perpetual lateness! I will have plenty to talk about this time. I promise!

Meanwhile, I have decided that I will probably we simulwatching the second season of Attack on Titan. I've read ahead, and let me tell you that y'all are going to be in for a wild ride.

[That means I know which of your favorite characters are gonna die...]

Anyhoo, back to work!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 971 of 1062