• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Haunting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
How does the blu ray compare to the episodes on Hulu? Anyone know?

They're the same. But as someone else mentioned, it's much more noticeable on the BD, especially if you're watching on a big screen.

It's also inconsistent between the episodes. Episode 23, for instance, looks worse than episode 6.
1thought

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Does it have white hard to read subtitles like the Ranma set?

Sounds like Viz should've just used the Japanese DVD masters and released that.

And if it was ever redone for Blu Ray in Japan then release that.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
Thanks for answering how the Hulu/Neon Alley Sailor Moon episodes are compared to the BD/DVD! I wonder if the BD/DVD episodes are any different from the digital versions? (iTunes, Amazon, etc...)

I also agree VIZ should have just used the Japanese masters and that's it.

I still have my ADV season 1 boxset in my collection (same with Pioneer's 3 movie DVDs). Pioneer was decent compared to ADV, in terms of quality.

Did VIZ make sure to have the episode summary/I'll punish you before the OP? ADV's release (think Pioneer's was correct) had it afterwards, which made it confusing if you're trying to find a particular episode.

Hoping VIZ will fix what needs fixing for future releases since I'd like to own a boxset of S/season 3 (used to own the Pioneer subbed VHS back in the day) and a move/specials boxset. I've never owned anything VIZ related other than some Eva manga, so yeah.
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
1thought wrote:
Does it have white hard to read subtitles like the Ranma set?

They are white with no style options. But, I haven't seen the Ranma set.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
I wonder if the BD/DVD episodes are any different from the digital versions? (iTunes, Amazon, etc...)

Did VIZ make sure to have the episode summary/I'll punish you before the OP? ADV's release (think Pioneer's was correct) had it afterwards, which made it confusing if you're trying to find a particular episode..

I did hear a couple of people complaining about the quality for the download versions too before the box set came out. Some were hoping/asking if the discs would be better but, I don't know myself. And I'm not sure if VIZ ever addressed those people. In fact VIZ is using the fact that apparently there weren't many complaints previously in reply to people now.

VIZ does have the same part after the OP like ADV.(I can't remember what the order is suppose to be exactly.) However, VIZ also has the next episode preview, which is different, after the end song, unlike the ADV set.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
If it helps any, the order should go: Usagi punish you/episode summary, OP, Eyecatch, ED, Next Time Preview.

Example: http://www.viz.com/anime/streaming/sailor-moon-episode-52/6855/sub Usagi should be narrating ("Hey, hey, hey!") before the OP kicks in, not afterwards.

Pretty sure I asked VIZ (Sailor Moon account) on Twitter, can't remember if they ever replied.

Shame to hear it's not in the correct order since seeing the OP instead of episode summary just gets confusing if you want to find something specific. IIRC, ADV had trouble acquiring the Next Time Previews (usually hilarious) but I think Pioneer didn't have that problem? Those 2004-etc DVDs are back at my mom's home, so I don't have easy access to refer to them.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:
The first arc in Railgun S is amazing, five star material.

The second arc? Its pretty meh, and its telling that it wasn't in the manga, I believe.

Even Railgun suffers from filler, I guess.

The second arc wasn't in the manga. Neither was the second arc in the first season. The big difference between railgun filler and most other series filler is that railgun filler is still canon.

Because they were all in the original light novels? The manga is just as canon as the anime in that case, right?
Quote:
Though I think I'm partially bitter we didn't get Liberal Arts City after they name dropped it early on, but judging from the name drop again at the end, I guess they're opening season 3 with it.

What kind of superpowers would people from Liberal Arts City have? The ability to quote Shakespeare at a moment's notice? Wink
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
If it helps any, the order should go: Usagi punish you/episode summary, OP, Eyecatch, ED, Next Time Preview.

Example: http://www.viz.com/anime/streaming/sailor-moon-episode-52/6855/sub Usagi should be narrating ("Hey, hey, hey!") before the OP kicks in, not afterwards.

Pretty sure I asked VIZ (Sailor Moon account) on Twitter, can't remember if they ever replied.

Shame to hear it's not in the correct order since seeing the OP instead of episode summary just gets confusing if you want to find something specific. IIRC, ADV had trouble acquiring the Next Time Previews (usually hilarious) but I think Pioneer didn't have that problem? Those 2004-etc DVDs are back at my mom's home, so I don't have easy access to refer to them.

Ah, thanks. Yeah I popped my Pioneer/Geneon discs in and the episode summary is before the OP. No next time preview though, lol. Since the order for the new set is like ADV I would guess it's probably a Toei thing too for whatever reason.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Sailor Moon. Got Cristina Vee autograph.
Thanks to Rightstuf I got it in time to it autograph https://twitter.com/animetoday/status/529275470039511040?s=09 .

Last edited by AnimenexuS on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
IIRC, ADV had trouble acquiring the Next Time Previews (usually hilarious) but I think Pioneer didn't have that problem?

How does that even work? I had assumed if you get the rights to the episode, you get the rights to the whole thing (maybe except for stuff owned by external groups, like music). Do the next-episode previews have a separate set of rights to acquire?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
I'm not so much worried about my overall health declining when I eat candy, just the integrity of my teeth. And I pretty much stopped eating the hard candies that keep sugar in your mouth for extended periods of time back when I had braces put in 18 years ago, and haven't returned to them since.

katscradle wrote:
The DVDs have the same issues, maybe a little less blurring, or whatever is going on with lines in the images sometimes. But, then in addition there’s the pillarbox problem with the DVDs where the image ends up completely in a black rectangle unless you view them on a widescreen TV. At least VIZ is going to stop doing that now.
So wait, these Sailor Moon DVDs are hard pillarboxed, just like the new Ranma 1/2 DVDs? You'd think Viz was "going to stop doing that now" after the Ranma release... but just when I think Viz can't possibly fail any harder, they beat my expectations. This is something I'd expect out of crappy Blu-Ray rips that don't crop out the pillarboxing on 4:3 shows. You'd think that you could count on a given show to look right when played on a screen whose shape matches that show, but no such luck.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with my old ADV/Geneon discs and downloaded versions with better video quality to get the previews and such. Maybe I'll get lucky and Viz will marginally improve by the time they get around to Sailor Stars.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I'd imagine the reason for that arc after the Sister's arc was get Kuroko and the others involved again and invoke the badass girl power like last season's arc especially without having Touma involved (or for some peeps who dropped the series, have him "hijack" the plot).

unfortunately its no hijack. the sisters arc have to have him in it. its an unfortunate necessary evil.

which is probably why they did the silent party filler arc to bring back the whole girl power from season 1. also they had the return of lifeline aka gensei kihara's crazy ass granddaughter. also the silent party arc also had its part for explaining on what happened to that scientist that helped misaka during the sisters arc since that wasnt explained in the manga so its not without its uses, and compared to other bad filler archs for other series , this one is kinda decent. though i admit they should have done the silent party arc first then the sisters arc last.

And I'm afraid its gonna get worse for the Touma haters if there is a season three cause they gonna have to have him for the daihasei festival arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
OK I finally got my Sailor Moon set in the mail today. I compared the BluRay to the DVD and to the ADV version DVDs.

The ADV version has film issues. It has the same film splotches and specks that you would see in an old analog movie that has been played too many times. If Toei gave Viz the same or similar masters that they gave ADV, likely part of the loss of detail is to take away the film issues and the film grain. You will get the same loss of detail when you try to clean up photos.

One thing I realized is that the Viz BluRays are slightly oversaturated even compared to the Viz DVDs - the same company's product.

Anyway, I think some of the complaints about Sailor Moon are overblown. Yes, it's not perfect. Yes, there's ghosting and oversaturation and some loss of detail due to Viz's remastering process. But the audio and video is really good otherwise. And it's a HUGE upgrade from ADV's set in every way. Heck, even to be able to see the Japanese subs and credits on the OP and ED was great - the ADV set used a clean version and put in translated credits.

Also, as a comment - I'm not a dub person. At all. But this dub was really good. Some people are going to be nostalgic over the old dub and will miss it, but this dub has much better voice actors and it's more true to the original Japanese script.

I'm pretty happy with it. I no longer regret my purchase. Very Happy
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
^
Yeah I agree with a lot of what you said DJStarstryker. VIZ's set is still an upgrade to ADV, especially the audio since it's now stereo. According to VIZ the newer masters they received were even worse than what their set looks like now. http://blog.neonalley.com/an-inside-look-at-the-new-sailor-moon-blu-ray-releases/#more-3885 .Toei apparently asked other countries if they had a better copy available too.

I love the dub even though I liked Terri Hawkes as Usagi before. I'm still keeping my pre-order for the LE of part 2 since it has more extras. There is still value to owning this release I think.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Pillarboxed DVDs of 4:3 content are a deal-killer.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Pillarboxed DVDs of 4:3 content are a deal-killer.

I am curious about this.
Why would a DVD be pillarboxed?
An ordinary 4:3 DVD should be displayed properly on any screen by the player and monitor. I have certainly never had any problem with them on my 16:9 TV.

What is the purpose of the pillarboxing? What is it supposed to accomplish?
It seems to me that it would look bad on a 4:3 display (like a letterboxed image on a 16:9 screen) and not do anything, good or bad, on a 16:9 monitor.
So why?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5