• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Detective Conan (Case Closed) (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:21 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, Detective Conan, I will be honest, I watch the canon episodes and the two part fillers, but the single episode fillers I skip. Those used to be decent to good in the past, but for a long time now they have become pretty bad. In general I am one of those people that believe that Conan has declined over the years, I will save you from my long rant though.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:16 pm Reply with quote
They have done some interesting things in the AO's recently*- they're not all bad. But when they are bad, they really suck the fun out of the show and make you wonder what the point is.

The one the week before twisted their worn-out "killed for plagiarism" trope- in which the plagiarizer was unknowingly serializing a story of a recently deceased amateur (amazingly- not murdered) about real events that... well, that part was another of the show's trope ("caused my parents suffering/death)- but being mixed together made them a little better..

*Occasionally super-weird episodes with the kids. It's been a couple years, but the one with the town where people dressed like insects stands out. ...although the recent dream one about the cafe was no good- weird, but out-of-character and irritating.

*A couple recurring gimmicks in which the other kids help Conan.
**Ayumi's Picture diaries. Done well, Conan finds clues in the pictures Ayumi drew of a crime scene.
**Mitsuhiko's casebook. Like the diary, in an effort to be a better detective, Mitsuhiko writes details of the case as they go along.
**They haven't found a good use for Genta really. The closest is like what happened in 1104- Where Genta ignorantly reveals that he's familiar with key information- but only after the cops leave (like knowing about a hidden shortcut that turns out to be the one the culprit used).

*The ones where the kids stumble on the detectives on a stake-out and "help" are a little hit-or-miss. It tends to lean on Conan and Takagi allowing the kids to put themselves in danger.

*A sure to return gimmick was a good one where Sato leads an impromptu investigation with most of the girl cast when they all realize they've all seen suspicious behavior at a mall. The only problem with that was that I was able to figure out the key to the mystery half-way through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8