• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mayu Shinjo: "I Don't Think I'll Ever Write Shojo Manga Again"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garudyne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
secondkas wrote:
Just as much as following and gushing over a heterosexual couple hooking up and falling in love with each other? Couples in shojo manga-and other genres-are also idealized, romanticized and sometimes fetishized; I don’t understand why stories with same-sex characters are judged with different standards of whether they’re portrayed realistically or not. BL is essentially a love story, some are well-written and some are sleazy, just like other stories out there. I’m not sure what happened to some of you that made you feel so offended of the genre and its fans in particular but don’t make sweeping generalizations and don’t beat it over Mayu Shinjo’s head. So she likes to draw more boys (which if you think about it, look a lot like girls anyway), what exactly do you expect her to do and advocate as a mere manga artist?

Yes, and I never said they're not. I was just focusing on bl here.

As for not understanding why people don't like yaoi/bl fans... I guess you haven't met many of them. Some of the most insulting things I've ever read have been written by yaoi/bl fans, and I've been attacked for pointing out the things I dislike about the bl genre, or for not liking specific bl couples. Of course, not all of the fans are like that (but the loudest ones are).

[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. -TK]

Last edited by Garudyne on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
There are plenty of Harlequin romance novels adapted wholesale into josei manga. Renta Manga has a whole section of adapted Harlequin novels alongside original (smutty) josei manga.

Whoa, that is weird. Manga adaptations of Harlequin romances. I did not know about those!

I kind of got sick of these Harlequin romance novels and the like a while ago as they release them so quickly, they flood store shelves. That some women cannot get enough of them even upon subscribing to them means they strike a chord a lot of women have though.

I just compared BL manga with Harlequins as it sounded like both of them have their appeal in "forbidden love," but I guess whom it's forbidden to would differ.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
Well good for her I guess nothing wrong with doing what makes you happy. Not familiar with her work or boys love manga but is it really any different from Shojo manga? I means it seems more or less the same on the surface only drawn with 2 pretty boys instead of 1 and a girl. I mean the main consumers of it are not gay men just hetero girls who want to watch boys get it on. I think people probably just take some issue with the comments because they sound a little over excited to get into the guy on guy stuff for self indulgent reasons. All manga is pretty self indulgent though people just have different taste is all. I wonder if the translation just makes it sound weird.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest. I'm not overly fond of BL and GL manga. I've made that clear on numerous occasions. But,it's simply because my views of this stuff is different from others. I was also born in a time in which the portrayals of stuff like homosexuality and lesbianism were extremely rare. It wasn't like today in which this sort of thing was out there for all the world to see.
For example,in Disney's 1973 version of "Robin Hood,"had Robin and Maid Marian taking a romantic stroll through Sherwood Forest while a love song was playing in the background. It wouldn't be exactly the same if the roles were changed to boy/boy or girl/girl. And many wouldn't exactly see it as romantic.

But,what little yaoi and yuri I have seen and read,would also be similar but also different if done as a traditional romance. I see similar elements but for someone like me,the feeling of it is different from a traditional romance. And the feeling I get from it is one of discomfort. My ideas of romance fall along the line of tradition:boy/girl. I just wish the BL and GL fans would understand that.
People like me and Ms. yogurti feel differently and aren't comfortable with yaoi and yuri. I wish those views would tolerated along with theirs. The BL and GL fans may see people like me as a bunch of backward neanderthals but that's not the case. Our views of this stuff is different from theirs. Please respect our views like how you want us to respect yours.
traveling

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Problematic is becoming such a catch all word. It doesn't really mean much. Being "problematic" doesn't mean being right or wrong, but now it used to label someone that doesn't meet some ridiculous idealistic expectations.

I don't see anything wrong with what she said. Shinjo explained that she wants to create the work in the genre she's a fan of why she is a fan of it. It's basically the same thing as a lot of male fans that enjoy yuri, moe, and CGDCT shows.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Yuzu77 wrote:
Just incredible. Rolling Eyes

I cannot tell if you are agreeing with Suzy J Webber or disagreeing with her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Well, good luck to her, but to me BL is unappealing. Don't see why girls gush over guys kissing or doing it. If you're that obsessed, go and peep at two gay guys being together.

This coming from a woman.

Well yeah I suppose you can always find a girl that doesn't fantasize about BL. Don't worry the same thing happens on the other side. We can always find a guy that doesn't fantasize on girl-girl stuff. Difficult to uncover them although I suppose they do really exist. Razz

This coming from a man.
Venus_Angel9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I see no problem here. To be honest, I always thought her female character in Kaikan Phrase was terrible. The kind of girl we're supposed to identify with but actually just makes me angry. I felt she was weak, useless and insulting as a woman, always needing to be saved by the male protagonist, even when fighting other girls. Crying at the drop of a hat and as a means to solve everything is not something I identify with. (I mean seriously, so many situations that could have been solved by just saying: "that's not true" , and explaining. Instead she just starts crying until someone mansplains it. WTF? ). And yes, I can see how that would be problematic in BL too, but since she's never written any male character that acts like that, maybe this won't happen. Anyway it's still her prerogative as an artist to draw whatever she likes.

I like BL and yaoi BTW, but I do not subscribe to the idea that one of the partners in the couple is a female role disguised as a man. There are some like that but I abhor those as much as I abhor the idea that a woman NEEDS to act a certain way and be weaker or whiny. I do not turn to BL to read stereotypical shoujo (just to clarify, I don't hate shoujo, there are some great shoujo too), but not all BL is like that. There are some great BL too.

Fumi Yoshinaga for example is great at writing 3 dimensional characters and even her female characters are pretty great, with sweet love stories. I like Youka Nitta too because the relationships in her manga feel very balanced, no power struggle, no rape equals love (as far as I know). Natsume Ono (Ristorante Paradiso, Sarai ya Goyou); has also written some very nice, realistic BL.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Stop over-quoting. Repeat offenders will be put on Moderation.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Heh, wonder what would happen if she went the reverse, going from BL to straight romance ("Since a long time ago, I've loved the world of straights....... I really like things like friendship between straight couples and fights with other couples, kind of a world that LBGT can't enter........ I don't think I'll ever write BL manga again.") Laughing
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
It's still a person eschewing one gender to write unrealistic, fetishizing stories about the other for straight peoples' satisfaction.

Uh, no. A large part of the audience for BL is not straight. I've done a poll on my BL community for years now and have over 1000 responses to the question of how the reader describes his or her sexuality. HALF are het. 2% gay. 2% lesbian. One quarter are bisexual or pansexual. 6% are asexual or other. The rest are trying to figure it out.

That last is extremely important. BL is where a lot of women come when they're questioning their sexuality. They're not looking for examples in BL. They're looking for a community open to discussions about it, with fiction exploring it, and members who are completely accepting of all kinds of sexuality.

I also have a poll for what sex and gender the readers self identify as. 95% are women biologically. But only 60% identify as female.

Call the stories what you will, unrealistic, yes they are. Written for women, mostly yes. But just because they're written for a specific sex doesn't mean there isn't a huge population of other genders reading, and it certainly does not imply their sexuality in the least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4