• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Only Toonami?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:41 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
That's a strange opinion to hold when Japanese properties regularly go through the same sort of revamps. Even Duel Masters has gone through traditional animation with Shobu to CG stuff with his younger brother. Then there's Yu-Gi-Oh!, Gundam, Battle Spirits and others that start fresh fairly often.

Well, as gloverrandal pointed out, they're not really the same at all. But I was actually speaking more about length of series. Very few series last as long as anime does, because networks don't want that many episodes. 52-65 is the magic number that allows them to rerun shows after that. Outside of Spongebob, I don't know of any kids show, especially these days, that can claim to have as many episodes as any of the Yu-Gi-Oh series. Especially action cartoons with an actual plot to them. Networks already don't think kids are able to follow a story that goes on for over a few episodes, let alone 100.

GVman wrote:
Like I said, it worked for mattress sales. It may have had more to do with audiences being card-gamed out.

Other card games were and still are doing just fine. Vanguard did better than Kaijudo in America despite not even being on TV which is pretty amazing when you think about it. I doubt it had anything to do with anyone being "card-gamed out" or any kind of over-saturated market. It might be more accurate to say card games are a competitive market since they're all fighting for your hundreds of dollars on booster packs so only the strongest survive. I remember around that time 4Kids tried to make their own card game franchised called Chaotic which underperformed as well. Meanwhile games like Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh did and continue to do just fine. So in that regard marketing is going to be a key part in getting your game compete with the big leagues.

And I don't think you can really compare a trading card game to... mattresses.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Well, as gloverrandal pointed out, they're not really the same at all. But I was actually speaking more about length of series. Very few series last as long as anime does, because networks don't want that many episodes. 52-65 is the magic number that allows them to rerun shows after that. Outside of Spongebob, I don't know of any kids show, especially these days, that can claim to have as many episodes as any of the Yu-Gi-Oh series. Especially action cartoons with an actual plot to them. Networks already don't think kids are able to follow a story that goes on for over a few episodes, let alone 100.

I consulted TV.com, and these are the number of episodes of each Yu-Gi-Oh! series:

Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic (including Season 0): 237
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: 211
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5-D's: 269
Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXaL: 116 (still ongoing)

I'm going to look for long-running children's western animation series and see how they stack up. These are the ones that have outdone at least one Yu-Gi-Oh! series in episode count, not including ZeXaL.

The Smurfs: 510
Rugrats (including All Grown Up!): 239 (138 without it)
SpongeBob Squarepants: 238*
The Fairly OddParents: 236*
Phineas and Ferb: 228*
Johnny Test: 226

* These series are still ongoing.

The Scooby-Doo franchise I'd count as a special case, as some series are direct continuations of others much like Dragon Ball Z is a continuation of Dragon Ball or Naruto Shippuden witjh Naruto, and some are not. However, none of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series share the same characters, each being a leap forward in time. None of the individual Scooby-Doo series approach any of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series in length, but ONLY the mystery-solving Mystery Machine series (including Mysteries, Inc.), they count up to 263:
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?: 34
The New Scooby-Doo Movies: 20
The Scooby-Doo Show: 40
A Pup Named Scooby-Doo: 30
What's New, Scooby-Doo?: 87
Mysteries, Inc.: 52

Counting the non-mystery stuff, which still uses the same core cast, there are 460 episodes of Scooby-Doo total:
Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo: 158
The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo: 13
Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!: 26

These are series I found that did not outdo any of them, not including ZeXaL, but have 100 or more episodes (I think Dexter's Laboratory would be part of this list too, but the TV.com episode guide for it is incredibly screwed up):

MAD: 206
Total Drama (includes Island, Revenge, Action, and World Tour): 189
Adventure Time: 180*
The Flintstones (1960 series only): 169
Dora the Explorer: 159*
The Penguins of Madagascar: 144
Codename: Kids Next Door: 143
Regular Show: 143*
Camp Lazlo: 142
Courage the Cowardly Dog: 141
The Powerpuff Girls: 141
Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy: 133
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003): 131
Johnny Bravo: 129
Recess: 125
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: 124
Chowder: 120
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: 117* (including 2015's 5th season)
Batman: The Animated Series: 110
Hey Arnold!: 107
Animaniacs: 100 (including Wakko's Wish, the intended final episode)

* These series are still ongoing.

The big thing is how the TV executive system works on American television, as well as the existence of manga in Japan. For the latter, with the exception of Sazae-san, every long-running anime series I can think of was adapted from a manga, which, like American comic books, is free to go on until the audience becomes too small. Otherwise, they tend to be pretty short too, telling their story in 13, 26, or 52 episodes and is done with it. American television has every executive desiring to leave their fingerprints on the channel, and to do so, they will put in their own shows. The easiest way to do so is to cancel shows that will leave the least stink, which would be the most recent shows on that channel. Hence, either they'll barely last, or they'll last a very long time.

Bear in mind that the 65-episode rule has largely been discontinued, probably because kids are savvy enough to look online and binge on streams and thus can watch more than one episode per week.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
A couple issues. First off, this one:

Quote:
The final follow-up, 2005's Zoids Genesis, was only shown on Toonami Jetstream.

This actually never happened. The plan was to distribute it on Toonami Jetstream, but it actually never happened. I heard the series was dubbed in it's entirety, but I heard supposed reports of it airing in some Asian markets. No rips ever surfaced, so it's anyone's guess who was all in that dub.

Second:

Quote:
For me, the absolute best Toonami show that nobody remembers is s-CRY-ed.

This... never actually aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami block, rather it ended up airing on Adult Swim's Action block. I actually saw this when it aired on the Adult Swim block. I think I remember people discussing back in the day that the show would've been a better fit on Toonami rather than Adult Swim.

So... yeah.

Either way, Toonami has been an interesting ride over the years. Some shows that aired on it, I haven't seen since it aired years ago.

not unless they would have to include some edits for that series for it to be shown in the late evening. also Zoid Genesis never got an english dub. according in a previous panel during the anniversary, there was some serious backlog during discussion so no US company never got the chance. the only english dubs i know are from Animax Asia which are of course are just as bad as 4kdis.

Also IGPX definitely wasnt that bad. both the animation and the acting was great, but the storyline was a little off after season 2. it should have ended at season 1. also the series was doomed from the start the minute it became public that CN was pulling the strings of the series. Considering that english dub companies have a bad rap (no thanks to 4kids) even i know that the die hard otaku community wasnt gonna take this series seriously at all which is why most people didn't bother watching this. and unfortunately they didn't learned their lesson cause they try to copy marvel and give an anime like feeling for the remaking of the thundercats series which as we all know bombed even more than IGPX.

it would have been better for them to just bring CN Japan's version of Power Puff Girls aka PPGZ to toonami instead.

and the biggest mistake was their plan along with the nfl to americanized eyeshield. it really left a bad taste for viz media , which is probably the reason why sentai filmworks never even bothered giving this a new english dub when they licensed it. the other was bringing other series like prince of tennis and hikaru no go. they was gonna bomb on TV like there is nobody's business.

the same can be the same for gash bell.though mainly cause of its ridiculous edits which werent 4kids level but bad enough for people to stay away and go to the fansubs. and dont get me started on both blue dragon and rave master. both were so butchered and so badly massacared that viz dropped it completely and no company have even picked up rave master after tokyopop went under. that bungle along with the mess they did with eyeshield nearly gave did Viz in.

If it wasnt for shows like Naruto and Inuyasha on AS, Viz Media right now would be given the same bad rep as 4kids in the otaku community.

so while toonami gave some anime series its popularity, it unfortunately doomed others into fansub central. kinda the way it will be alongs are there are idiots in charge over there who dont know BS about the anime otaku community and what they like and dont like when it comes to showing their favorite series on TV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I consulted TV.com, and these are the number of episodes of each Yu-Gi-Oh! series:

ZeXal actually ended at 146 episodes and Arc-V is the current series at 35 episodes.

But I feel the need to point out a lot of the shows on your list are a bit misrepresented. A lot of them seem to be counting each 11 minute segement of a normal 30 minute episode as it's own episode, which is a bit odd. So in essence a lot of the series in the 100s mark would be cut in half, sometimes cut into a third if it's a series with 3 segments per episode.

(Though networks these days seem to be getting really cheap and sometimes only air one 11 minute segment as a 'new episode' rather than the traditional 30 minute episode with the two 11 minute shorts, much like Nickelodeon was really singty with Spongebob episodes and anytime they decided to air a new one they promoted it as some huge mega-event that needed weeks of hying up. Seems like they just draw out the seasons longer than they have to be)

Quote:
The big thing is how the TV executive system works on American television, as well as the existence of manga in Japan. For the latter, with the exception of Sazae-san, every long-running anime series I can think of was adapted from a manga, which, like American comic books, is free to go on until the audience becomes too small.

I'm only focusing on the series aimed at children rather than short 13 episode adaptions of manga aimed at otaku. Pretty much all the long running series are aimed a kids and either based on a long-running manga, like WSJ stuff or a toyline like Yu-Gi-Oh and Vanguard.

Quote:
American television has every executive desiring to leave their fingerprints on the channel, and to do so, they will put in their own shows. The easiest way to do so is to cancel shows that will leave the least stink, which would be the most recent shows on that channel. Hence, either they'll barely last, or they'll last a very long time.

This along with the season format is why I don't think shows last very long. Especially series with nasty politics behind them like superhero shows or Transformers. Those series usually get canned and rebooted every time the license changes hands or a new movie comes out.

My original point was basically saying I doubt the Kaijudo cartoon could have promoted it's card game very long considering it was most likely, and indeed did, only last a few seasons, or 52-65 episodes. The idea a cartoon like it could last hundreds of episodes like Vanguard or Yu-Gi-Oh just doesn't seem possible in this market since all the marketing shows here only last a few seasons before being removed for some new re-branding of the toyline.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I liked "Megas XLR" a lot. I hope that it's brought back. As for "Kajiudo:Rise of the Duel Masters,"it was a good idea. The thing of having the monsters as real was a creative idea. Too bad it wasn't handled well. It could have worked if it was handled better.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Kaijudo was a card game show where no one played card games. I find that a very odd choice on their part.
levonr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

also Zoid Genesis never got an english dub. according in a previous panel during the anniversary, there was some serious backlog during discussion so no US company never got the chance. the only english dubs i know are from Animax Asia which are of course are just as bad as 4kdis.

Darrel Guilbeau said it was recorded and he is dieing for it to be released. They are "sitting on it for some reason".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X27FMQx6doY

I read that the dub did air in Philippines Cartoon Network: http://zph.proboards.com/thread/581
I assume after it failed to be released in the US they went with Philippines Cartoon Network so it didn't go to waste.
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I didn't get into Toonami until 2002, with Rurouni Kenshin & G Gundam being my first two shows from the block. Looking over what aired in that black, though, there are a couple of titles I really enjoyed from it, aside from the two I already mentioned. There was the 2001 anime reboot of Cyborg 009, which I enjoyed immensely & wish would one day get a proper & complete uncut release (probably will never happen, though, due to licensing issues). The other Mike didn't mention wasn't actually anime, but Megas XLR was such a love-letter to the medium that it can't be ignored; it's a shame that the powers that be were able to allow IGPX to get re-aired but not Megas as well (let alone Cartoon Network apparently not allowing any sort of home video release, either).

Now, why was is exactly that they weren't able to do this with Cyborg 009? I actually own an Uncut DVD with the first several episodes but as far as I can tell that was the only release of it.

I loved Megas personally, being a Jersey guy myself I actually found it oddly relateable....few works of fiction have gotten that right like Megas lol. It was a fun love letter to anime too yes, the Sailor Moon episode was one of my favorites :p. A lot of the American cartoons since the resurrection have become some of my favorite failures, Sym Bionic Titan, ThunderCats 2011 and Beware the Batman specifically.

A lot of the big failures seem to be gone and hard to rewatch so I vaguely remember a lot of them always (I started watching in 2002 I believe). I believe this aired there, a good series I felt like didn't make a lot of waves was the '03 Astro Boy series. I haven't seen it in years though, so can't say how well it holds up now.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I know the English dub version of the '03 Astro Boy series had some script changes. Apparently, the execs felt Astro was too different from a US superhero, and wanted to change that during the localization.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to answer one of the question asked in the article, and I don't care if I get mocked for it. Yes, I watched D.I.C.E. Now I'm sure some people may ask why would you watch such a horrible show, and the answer is relatively simple. I watched it because it was so bad that it made me laugh. I'm not ashamed to admit that I own the season 1 & season 2 (yes, there was a season 2 that never aired in the US) series sets.

I'll also point out that Eyeshield 21 would have made it in the US had they not edited out so much of Hiruma's true characterization. Removing the guns & blackmail, as well as merging 2 or 3 episodes into a single episode, truly hurt Eyeshield 21. If it were to be dubbed, I'd want to see it in its true form.

And to provide a brief correction to the article, Eyeshield 21's anime was always made by the NFL. The manga its based off of wasn't. However the anime has the NFL in the closing credits because they helped furnish making the series. If only SOMEONE would do an Eyeshield 21 OVA and actually FINISH the series, I'd truly be happy. In the meantime I can watch all the episodes legally on Crunchyroll.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Similarly, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will always be about Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo, and Donatello.

The new CG series is about Leo,Raph,Mikey, Donny,Splinter, & April with a dash of Casey Jones.

supersqueak wrote:
Aww no mention of Yu Yu Hakusho huh? Still an all time favorite of mine. I guess that one did originate on Adult Swim though. It was a really nice surprise when it went over to Toonami though it did mean that it was censored more but it was awesome to watch it after school.

It probably would've gotten a mention if not for originating on Adult Swim and getting death slotted but I guess that was a better fate than what happened to stuff like MAR, Prince Of Tennis, & Bobobobobo.
jlaking

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
It probably would've gotten a mention if not for originating on Adult Swim and getting death slotted but I guess that was a better fate than what happened to stuff like MAR, Prince Of Tennis, & Bobobobobo.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo got a complete run on Toonami, I would that is a better fate than what YYH got.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
Zoids: Chaotic Century is one of the series I really, really wish would get a uncut, subbed dvd or blu-ray release. Seeing as how it didn't do so well, I guess I'll have to keep dreaming. Sad
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

also Zoid Genesis never got an english dub. according in a previous panel during the anniversary, there was some serious backlog during discussion so no US company never got the chance. the only english dubs i know are from Animax Asia which are of course are just as bad as 4kdis.

Darrel Guilbeau said it was recorded and he is dieing for it to be released. They are "sitting on it for some reason".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X27FMQx6doY

I read that the dub did air in Philippines Cartoon Network: http://zph.proboards.com/thread/581
I assume after it failed to be released in the US they went with Philippines Cartoon Network so it didn't go to waste.

which is what i was saying. that was the dub version that animax did and that aired on the eastern side of CN like in the philippines and austraila. I'm afraid that no US company got the chance to do it though. however i definitely know darrel wanted the series to be dubbed and released but considering all the hub bub with the franchise owners and it was at the same time that toonami was singing its swan song, it wouldnt surprised me if they halted productions. though its unknowned whether or not if one was produced by a US or Canada dubbing studio. hopefully we would get an answer during the franchise's anniversary since they probably gonna have a panel either for this year or next year's conventions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
levonr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

which is what i was saying. that was the dub version that animax did and that aired on the eastern side of CN like in the philippines and austraila. I'm afraid that no US company got the chance to do it though. however i definitely know darrel wanted the series to be dubbed and released but considering all the hub bub with the franchise owners and it was at the same time that toonami was singing its swan song, it wouldnt surprised me if they halted productions. though its unknowned whether or not if one was produced by a US or Canada dubbing studio. hopefully we would get an answer during the franchise's anniversary since they probably gonna have a panel either for this year or next year's conventions.

No animax didn't dub it. Salami Studios in Hollywood dubbed it. The show was dubbed in the US for a planned US stream. After the stream was canceled it aired in Philippines Cartoon Network which had a fast food toy deal with Zoids Genesis from what I read.
Darrel Guilbeau didn't say he wanted the series to be dubbed, he was listing the characters he voiced and when he came to Seijuro from Zoids Genesis he was baffled it was never released in America since it was done years ago.

What franchise anniversary panel?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8