• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Passes on Goddess Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
If Media Blasters couldn't afford the asking price, and I'm pretty damn sure that's what happened here as I don't see MB passing up on continuing their current A-list title voluntarily, there is absolutely no possible way that AnimEigo could even dream of being able to afford it, especially after spending a huge chunk on licensing Yawara.

I'm hoping it's anyone but Geneon, not that I have a problem with the quality of the product Geneon puts out, but it would mean that the time I actually see it on store shelves in Ottawa would be... highly unpredictable... and, when it does make it over here, it would be around $10 CDN more expensive than what I'd pay for an anime that gets better Canadian distribution.

Last edited by Tenchi on Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It's a popular show that is probaly selling well for MB but probaly not enough to justify another huge licensing fee.

MB are playing their cards safe.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
It's a popular show that is probaly selling well for MB but probaly not enough to justify another huge licensing fee.

MB are playing their cards safe.

My own view is that the license for the second season cost too much, so MB passed on it.

I don't know how many of you noticed this, but MB did manage to get Ah! My Goddess into Wal-Mart, which meant it had a very wide release that very few of the non-Geneon/Manga/Bandai/Viz/FUNimation companies seem to get anymore. Now returns...that's another thing.

Last edited by adam_omega on Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper Why the **** do the companies keep screwing with AMG?!? (this is mostly venting) I mean seriously. AE had the OVAs, Geneon the movie, MB season 1 of the TV, DH has had like 4 different versions of the manga, can't we settle on one thing and stick with it. -_-;

*sigh* I expected MB to keep with the continuity, but it looks like instead they wanna give me an excuse to watch the fansubs for season 2. Anime hyper
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: Given its age, Animeigo probably got Yawara on the cheap. I think the real reason they were so hesitant about picking it up for so long was they weren't sure there was a market for it. But now that one of Urasawa's manga have been released by Viz, they might be able to tap into a wider audience for the show. And this is the same Animeigo which eventually got the re-mastered OVA of the series, so it's not impossible for them to get season 2, especially if they've been saving up enough collateral through their samurai flicks.

Heero: Now you know how Lupin fans feel. Wink
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Heero: Now you know how Lupin fans feel. Wink

Heh, I was gonna say "well, at least AMG didn't have to deal with funky name changes like 'Rupan' did", but then I remembered, oh yeah, it DID. Heh, but in defense of AMG, wtf? I mean, at least Lupin didn't have the manga issues and to its credit is like 20 years OLDER than AMG!
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
You guys are forgetting the fact that Pioneer/Geneon also had the Mini Goddess TV Series as well ... at any rate, MB simply said that they passed on the second season and that Richard York, who I have been in contact with, said that he wasn't privy as to the reasons why they passed on the second season.

When I receive comfirmation on that I'll pass it on but let's just be thankful that we were fortunate enough to get the first seaosn on DVD, the best so far ...BTW, Geneon has put out a lot of quality anime shows and they've done a pretty good job with the titles that they've licensed. Last Exile, Ai Yori Aoshi, Stellvia, Tokyo Underground ... just to name a few ...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I've personally noticed that an anime US company doesn't tend to jump on an anime series when the previous seasons were released by another company ...
So you haven't noticed series like Comic Party (Rightstuf, ADV), Saiyuuki (ADV, Geneon), Full Metal Panic! (ADV, Funimation), Slayers (CPM, ADV), Kenshin (MB, ADV), and Super Gals! (ADV, Rightstuf) ? Licensing pastiche has been going on for awhile.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see who will pick it up - a show this popular will certainly get picked up by somebody. I just hope we don't get another group of VA's! I thought NYAV did a solid job with season 1, but I wouldn't mind a return of Bridget Hoffman as Belldandy (from the movie and Mini Goddess). She's always been one of my dub VA faves, but then again Kikuko Inoue is my favorite Seiyuu! Very Happy
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
That's just weak, man.

If someone else picks up AMG season 2, at least use the same VAs! (I just got into it recently, and so far, it's pretty bitchin'.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I've personally noticed that an anime US company doesn't tend to jump on an anime series when the previous seasons were released by another company ...
So you haven't noticed series like Comic Party (Rightstuf, ADV), Saiyuuki (ADV, Geneon), Full Metal Panic! (ADV, Funimation), Slayers (CPM, ADV), Kenshin (MB, ADV), and Super Gals! (ADV, Rightstuf) ? Licensing pastiche has been going on for awhile.

Well, when it comes down to anime specifics as far as companies go, I'm not all that informed but I have been collecting for over 20 years now ...

But, I can see where you're going ... hopefully either Geneon or ADV will pick up the rights to the second season. Or maybe even Bandai but FUNI? While I've picked up some of their titles I'm not real happy with FUNImation ... they just don't impress me all that much ...
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I can picture Bandai Visual cutting out the middleman and releasing it themselves. (Ooh, pretty!)
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I say spread the word and encourage people to buy season 1 and if sales continue to do well then maybe Media Blasters will reconsider.

MB are a great company and have gone on a bit of licensing spree as of late, i hope they keep this up.
Colonel Wolfe

Nobuyuki wrote:
I can picture Bandai Visual cutting out the middleman and releasing it themselves. (Ooh, pretty!)

That would be sweet considering that they are releasing Gunbuster. Laughing
Tenchi

Hell, yeah, that would rock!

Bandai Visual had super-efficient distribution at Canadian HMV stores right off the bat, and the prices are about the same as Manga Video's prices (closer to $20 than $30 CDN).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6