• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Artist Megumi Igarashi Appears in Court on Obscenity Charges

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile: Full frontal figma The Thinker which will be sold at general retail.

Japan's double standards are funny.

Oh, and funny that Kanamara Matsuri would come up while I'm watching episode 16 of Heaven's Lost Property.

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
good, I rather have her arrested than see a vagina shaped ship in Japan. Laughing

I would travel to Japan just to see that.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
If she gets out of jail with a slap on the wrist and a promise not to produce any more "obscene" material... will she just continue making 3D sculptures and models of mosaics?
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
So tentacle-hentai anime/manga is OKAY but not these. Haha. Seriously, I've seen worse than what this woman has made come out of Japan.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Fun fact you can't really capture in photographs. Michaelangelo's David is roughly 14 feet tall. He's also got a great butt.
Speaking of David's butt...

...Michelangelo actually fubared a little. He ran out of marble, which is why the right cheek is as flat as it is on the top.
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
This makes Japan look ridiculous. You couldn't dream up a better hypocritical farce than something like this, and it makes Japan seem like they're run by buffoons obeying nonsense laws. I guarantee that if one man, just ONE, were arrested over the Kanamara Matsuri, you'd see the law repealed within a week.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:16 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Greboruri wrote:
Sorry, but the hypocrisy is just stunning, especially when you see what happens at the festival.

Festivals ? Laughing
How about drawing manga/doujinshi with prepubescent characters having sex ? It's ok. But oh my, draw one uncensored penis or vagina (of adult characters) and the whole world comes crashing down on you. That's Japan.

That is illegal though, it didn't used to be, but it is now. Any that are being made are probably being self published online.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:53 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

(wondering if ANN mods will censor Michelangelo's David)

You want something tragic to laugh about ? The fresco in the Sistine Chapel for many centuries has had the genitalia of the characters painted over with the images of loinclothes. It was not "politically correct" for the times. The times being after Michelangelo finished the painting. The restoration in the 1980s finally did away with the censorship and modern audiences can look at the painting in its fully glory like Michelangelo would have seen it. Stupidity I'm afraid is everywhere.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
Japan has bizarro laws. You wouldn't even know that canoe was modeled after a vagina unless someone pointed it out to you.

Meanwhile, we have anime, manga, and visual novels with all types of legitimately obscene content like adults having sex with 7 year olds or panty shots of 10 year olds and that gets a pass.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
Ummm.... correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have time to read everyone's comments at the moment but from what I've read, both the article and a few posts, I don't think the issue is simply having created something obscene, it's DISPLAYING it in public for all to see.

Despite all the weird(er) stuff they make over there, lolicons, hentai, gender benders, they don't put posters of them up for all to see on the streets or on daytime TV, or even on shelves at stores selling, they're covered up in their own sections, not on a shop window

I think that's the issue, not simply the fact that she draw it altogether.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
There is nothing obscene in human body (or sex).

Those fake hypocritical morals are insult to humanity, what actually obscene is those stupid laws.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
^^^

So, you're okay with nudists walking around in for all to see?

Last edited by the-antihero on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Ummm.... correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have time to read everyone's comments at the moment but from what I've read, both the article and a few posts, I don't think the issue is simply having created something obscene, it's DISPLAYING it in public for all to see.

Despite all the weird(er) stuff they make over there, lolicons, hentai, gender benders, they don't put posters of them up for all to see on the streets or on daytime TV, or even on shelves at stores selling, they're covered up in their own sections, not on a shop window

I think that's the issue, not simply the fact that she draw it altogether.

Uhh, although I have never been to japan, I think the 18+ products do have their own spot on shelves in stores. There is actually surprisingly little censorship on doujins and hentai. Lolicon and gender bender posters DO get put up in some places of town if they are being marketed.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Those fake hypocritical morals are insult to humanity, what actually obscene is those stupid laws.

So, you're okay with nudists walking around in for all to see?

Personally, yes, I would be.

Please give a logical and reasonable answer why not, preferably one which is not prejudiced, or clouded by emotions.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

I think you are being a little bit extreme calling the laws an "insult". There are many reasons why and how genitals became an obscene part of the body, and it stretches to the earliest humans. First, with the invention of clothing, body parts naturally became covered with comfortable cloths that offer warmth and small protection. Second, growth of the ideas of faithfulness to one's spouse spurred the behavior of only having intercourse with your soul mate, leading to the shamefulness of exposing your genitals to people other than your loved one. There are other reasons as well such as peer pressure and protection. Imagine how easy it would be for a rapist to rape someone if the woman were walking around with their vagina open. Sometimes it not the cultural aspect, but rather all the other factors that contributed to this. There may not be anything obscene in the human body, but that still doesn't mean you get to walk around flashing your junk at people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6