• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: LA County Holds Off on Charging Power Rangers' Medina in Fatal Stabbing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
Eldritcho wrote:
Good on them for actually taking the time to perform a formal investigation before declaring someone officially guilty. Now if only every case was handled as such...

I wouldn't be surprised if someone planted evidence to make it look like he was a murderer.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
KH91 wrote:
The thing that gets me with this case is the sword.

Why? Owning a sword, even one with a sharp blade, is not all that unusual among fantasy, history, or martial arts enthusiasts. An actor that did work on a series involving samurai fits right in with the rest. Nor is it unheard of to use such weapons for defense. There was a case in Baltimore 5-6 years ago, where a recently burglarized college student took his sword with him to investigate a noise, and ended up killing a burglar. Ultimately that was ruled self defense.

Notably, in this case, and that case, all it took to kill was on blow. Swords are designed for killing people, and it doesn't take all that much to inflict a wound that causes someone to bleed out and die. A lot of internet commentators don't seem to realize that, though I don't think I've seen anyone falling into that trap here.

Eh...Too much detail for what you thought my post meant.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Now that I think about it, this sounds exactly like one of those Phoenix Wright cases.

vgiannell5 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if someone planted evidence to make it look like he was a murderer.

The bone from a T-bone steak, presumably?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
That means that, at least for the time being, the authorities don't suspect a foul-play.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
What the article doesn't say is if he was released from jail or if he's still being held pending charges. Anyone know?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
Unless it is proven that their statements are false and the evidence staged, this is a clear case of self-defense.

The bashing in or kicking in of the bedroom door is clear intent that the intruder meant bodily harm or death.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
What the article doesn't say is if he was released from jail or if he's still being held pending charges. Anyone know?

He was released either without being formally charged, or with the charges dropped (the articles I've read haven't made it clear), pending further investigation.

Basically, it appears to be a case of self-defense, so they released him, but they're not closing the case until they get a more clear picture of exactly what happened.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't know any of the details, so this may in no way apply to this particular case, but regarding armed self defence against an unarmed assailant: Keep in mind that if an unarmed man advances on you despite your holding a sword, and you don't attack, it'll probably soon be him who holds the sword. By that point it could be too late for self defence.

Advancing on someone holding a sword (not that we know that happened in this case) would also seem to indicate that an assailant is either highly aggressive or not in full command of their senses.
ryukage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
It seems that cooler heads are prevailing in the investigations.

I'm all for keeping edged weapons at home for self-defense. They're statistically far less likely to kill the wrong person than firearms.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
I don't know any of the details, so this may in no way apply to this particular case, but regarding armed self defence against an unarmed assailant: Keep in mind that if an unarmed man advances on you despite your holding a sword, and you don't attack, it'll probably soon be him who holds the sword. By that point it could be too late for self defence.

So pulling Ghirahims on people holding blades is more common than I had thought?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
So pulling Ghirahims on people holding blades is more common than I had thought?

Not really, since:

1. Nobody in their right mind usually attacks anyone holding a sword if they can help it (with a few notable exceptions).

2. If they did, the person with the sword would probably attack them (or possibly even stab them accidentally).

Any weapon you're not willing to use could be taken if someone calls your bluff, though. I was just responding to earlier implications that it might not be self-defence because the alleged defender had an advantage.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Ah, all right then. I see it happen with guns sometimes, but it's more impressive with a sword as swords don't have safety locks.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
It's a good thing that this will be an ongoing investigation and hopefully, it will be proven that Medina has only acted out of self-defense and not intentional murder but regardless if he is found innocent or guilty, this will definitely leave him scarred by this incident and hope that he seeks the therapy that he needs to endure such a terrible predicament.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:04 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
It's a good thing that this will be an ongoing investigation and hopefully, it will be proven that Medina has only acted out of self-defense and not intentional murder but regardless if he is found innocent or guilty, this will definitely leave him scarred by this incident and hope that he seeks the therapy that he needs to endure such a terrible predicament.

Apparently, Shutter's sister thinks he's guilty due to the belief that he didn't act in self defense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2