• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Business Minded

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Surprised I must be really out of the loop, I never thought that we were in another boom, I knew we've been doing way better than the Apocalypse of the tail end of the 00's, but when I think "anime boom" I imagine things like dozens and dozens of anime dvds on the shelves of a brick and mortar store, articles about anime in otherwise unrelated video game magazines and several magazines devoted to just anime and manga and so on.

But now I see the light and I'm very happy to realize that yes, we are in another bubble, I just hope that if/when it goes pop it wont be as destructive as last time.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The definition of "moe" I was using was "cute girls and fanservice". I know there are others, but it seems a reasonable enough one.

And there were plenty of bad shows in the early 00s as well. That's a big part of why the crash happened. But there was good, experimental stuff as well.

The industry got very conservative for a while post crash. Most industries do. And variety shows took a lot of the tv slots previously used for anime. Not to say that the late 00s didn't have some good shows, but they were rare exceptions - maybe one or two per season.

Last edited by Rogueywon on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
The definition of "moe" I was using was "cute girls and fanservice". I know there are others, but it seems a reasonable enough one.

It's been discussed to death and your definition is anything but correct.

Let's not even go into this because it's going to be another "What is moe" argument. I suggest you just do better research on it.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Rogueywon wrote:

It's been discussed to death and your definition is anything but correct.

Let's not even go into this because it's going to be another "What is moe" argument. I suggest you just do better research on it.

Sigh.

You want to turn it into a debate about semantics, go ahead. I don't have the time.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:

And there were plenty of bad shows in the early 00s as well. That's a big part of why the crash happened. But there was good, experimental stuff as well.

The industry got very conservative for a while post crash. Most industries do. And variety shows took a lot of the tv slots previously used for anime. Not to say that the late 00s didn't have some good shows, but they were rare exceptions - maybe one or two per season.

So? It's not very much different from anything past 2010. The only thing that sets this decade apart from the 00's is probably the rise of fujoshi centric shows like Free! If you still keep pushing this conservatism then they already have a long time ago when 2/3 per season were blatant toy commercials.

Anime's TV slot has very little to do with the crash. Rather, it's more because of content, which interestingly enough features adult themes unsuitable to be aired earlier. Gundam Seed had a huge controversy because it aired implied sex scenes when kids were watching.

What am I trying to get at? The trends and outputs of 2000-2010 and now haven't changed a whole lot. Anime didn't suddenly "get better" after a specific year. It just so happens they ended up lining more to your tastes now.
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
In the end, it's always been like this when it comes to the quality of our anime shows: part of them are good, part of them are bad, and we remember those that were good, those that were really bad and those that for some reason got to us on a personal level.

It's the same with any other medium, really.
DillMan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Are there ever Japanese releases that feature English subtitles? And then why or why not?

I actually got a few blu rays a year or two ago off the Japanese Amazon site and did not even consider that they would not have have subtitles, so they are essentially useless to me besides being authentic and fun to display.

I would be fine getting the new Evangelion Blu Rays straight from Japan if they had english subtitles, but I am guessing will not have them though.

Why wouldn't they be included? Do companies realize how much money they could make by adding subtitles for foreign viewers?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
DillMan--

Most of the $$$ is made from Japanese Otaku who pay out huuuge sums of $$$ for single disks with maybe 3 episodes on them. They don't put out English subtitles because they're afraid of reverse importation.
DillMan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
DillMan--

Most of the $$$ is made from Japanese Otaku who pay out huuuge sums of $$$ for single disks with maybe 3 episodes on them. They don't put out English subtitles because they're afraid of reverse importation.

After reading that, unless I missed something, I do not quite get it, or I do not see why the situation I brought up still does not occur.

Anime is made, produced, released in Japan, it would make sense to buy it from there regardless of what language you speak or how you want your subtitles.

I understand the other part, if Funimation releases something subtitled then Japanese people can buy it for less than the cost of series in Japan in most cases. That makes sense.

But why don't the Japanese just slap english subtitles on their own products and sell them internationally? How does that change anything with their own sales to people in Japan? They can still sell licenses if they want, they can still delay them, etc but now people internationally can buy their products. Still does not make sense that they would not allow it.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I find it even crazier that the Japanese don't put Japanese subtitles on most of their anime and live action video releases (e.g. movies and concerts), particularly when television broadcasts in Japan include subtitles of songs for many music shows.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Ahem, BACK to the subject of the 90's bubble, and why this isn't:

Hoppy800 wrote:
I just can't see anime booming again like what happened in the 90's, due to what anime is being put out, while it's doing fine when it comes to profit, quality and variety are slowly declining due to various factors such as not adapting riskier material, the advent of mobile game adaptations, and a lack of a push for independently created anime.

A bubble has to have some looney gold-rush delusion on the part of the entrepreneurs that utterly ignores the real-world warnings of "you'll be sor-ree" for overlooking some hard detail of the market--
In the 90's-00's case, it was the fact that companies were buying EVERYTHING, fresh off the air and unproven, believing they could make it sell because everything else was--and Japanese licensors were selling them the season's current-ratings hits by the shovelful just for the bragging rights--but nobody was looking at that little detail about fans unable or unwilling to buy all those single disks.
Or the rise of the Internet fan-forum culture that could praise or pan bad word of mouth on a series while it was still airing on Japanese TV, months ahead of its arrival.

The market's evolved past many of the things that created those delusions:
Like Justin says, the market's all boxset now, which was one of the main cripplers of the 90's bubble, and dubious local hits aren't bought and packaged sight-unseen, now that they simulcast on Funi and CR at almost the same time as they air Japan-side. When a series hits Funi boxset, it's already an established property, and there's an demonstratable market for it, among fans who either do want to buy the series on hard-disk/dub, or are actually curious to find out.

The "new gold rush" for licensed series showing up on simulcast is low-investment, and doesn't seem to be losing as much for letting the market thin out its own chaff--We've got more of the product with less of the risk.
For this to be a "new bubble", we'd have to have low-rent streaming sites popping up like weeds, all expecting to be the next Crunchyroll without a clear income source, and...we don't.

Paiprince wrote:
That's really ironic coming from someone who has a profile pic from Coyote Ragtime Show.

(Yes, someone else for whom Coyote Ragtime Show is one of the single lasting iconic symbols of the 00's Licensing Bubble...) Cool

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThisJustThis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
DillMan wrote:
Are there ever Japanese releases that feature English subtitles? And then why or why not?

Refer to this thread. The ANN Retail forum also has lists for English subs/dubs not released in the US. In cases where there are multiple English-language releases, the subtitles are not necessarily from the same source and quality. The domestic (Japanese) releases will probably have lower quality translations unless they get them from an English source or international release.

Last edited by ThisJustThis on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
DillMan wrote:

There have been a few but they're very rare. Other than situations like Fate/Zero where they are used for import releases in the U.S. (and that probably accounts for at least half of the T.V. series that get them), there's no apparent reason. Three shows I can think of that didn't fall in that category were the first season of Dog Days, Black Rock Shooter (TV series and the OVA), and, if I recall correctly, Tiger & Bunny.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese rarely will include English Subtitles on their shows since it costs time and money, for the chance of selling a few measly more units over seas. I wrote to Justin about this awhile back in another Answerman column. Besides with how cheap people are here in the United States bitching about Aniplex, how many people would really import a show with 2-3 episodes on single discs not that many.

Now shows like Garden of Sinners, Fate Zero/UBW, Aniplex of Japan was convinced by Aniplex of America that including English Subtitles would move tons on units over seas at the same import prices. Which proved to be true.

I would import the new Evangelion TV series but for the price it's going to command unless it has subtitles which I doubt, I can't justify the cost even though I understand enough Japanese.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I just can't see anime booming again like what happened in the 90's, due to what anime is being put out, while it's doing fine when it comes to profit, quality and variety are slowly declining due to various factors such as not adapting riskier material, the advent of mobile game adaptations, and a lack of a push for independently created anime.

Paiprince wrote:
Eh, I used to subscribe to the tried and true mantra of what's new is crap back in the day too, but after watching lots of series spanning from the 60's to today, I came to realized that anime has always been what it is: a myriad of flavors that won't please everyone. The only difference was its boom occurred internationally during the Western animation ghetto age thus was regarded as a novelty which soon wore off.

Nope. You're both wrong.

Anime is in a pretty good place right now. The best it has been in since the late 90s. I'd argue we're by no means there just yet because there still isn't much going on in film but as far as TV shows go we're pretty comparable. We've seen an absolute glut of diverse and inventive shows the last couple years or so. If you can't see that you really need to take off the nostalgia goggles. That or stop focusing purely on the negative. Anime still manages to hit some astounding lows these days but there has always been crap and it has never really mattered.

That said, clearly anime doesn't exist in a vacuum. Especially being the niche industry that it is, financial considerations matter immensely. We're in a really good place right now largely because we're in a boom period. Prior to that, in the late 00s and very early 10s, we weren't. And as a result we didn't see a lot of diversity or creativity in the industry. There were exceptions of course. But no, anime has not "always been what it is". That's every bit as silly and reductive as the "everything sucks now" mentality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6