• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heroic Legend of Arslan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
[quote="jr0904"]
yuna49 wrote:

considering that its the same creator that did FMA, you can't be surprised on his age. if they made his age like in the novels, it would be DOA (Dead On Arrival) to both japaneese and US audiences.

Yeah I noted that about Arakawa. But I think the second sentence is dead wrong. First, there are tons of heroes in manga that are older and sell like hotcakes. One Piece or Monster or Berserk or Jojo etc. Second, that doesn't even apply because his age isn't older in the books, he's just more mature, as a Prince of the times would be.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
[quote="sunflower"]
jr0904 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

considering that its the same creator that did FMA, you can't be surprised on his age. if they made his age like in the novels, it would be DOA (Dead On Arrival) to both japaneese and US audiences.

Yeah I noted that about Arakawa. But I think the second sentence is dead wrong. First, there are tons of heroes in manga that are older and sell like hotcakes. One Piece or Monster or Berserk or Jojo etc. Second, that doesn't even apply because his age isn't older in the books, he's just more mature, as a Prince of the times would be.

He's not simply more mature, he's more intelligent, more insightful, and a better judge of situations and people. Of course he still needs to learn a lot, but he doesn't start from zero (and he definitely doesn't need anyone to scream at him about why slavery is wrong), and his main strengths are not being really cute and kind. In the novel you can see why people follow him, in the Arakawa manga and TV anime... not so much. Novel Narsus would have spoken two words with Arakawa's Arslan and then would have told him that he wishes him well but he doesn't do charity cases.

Personally I think Arakawa just didn't "get" Arslan, and didn't know how to write him, so she turned him into a more stereotypical "spoiled but sweet and well-meaning hero who needs to learn about the world!" character.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

True however considering on how Moribito's novels didn't do so hot, it will be just as i said, i highly doubt the novel versions of arslan would do very well in the US

SHD wrote:
He's not simply more mature, he's more intelligent, more insightful, and a better judge of situations and people. Of course he still needs to learn a lot, but he doesn't start from zero (and he definitely doesn't need anyone to scream at him about why slavery is wrong), and his main strengths are not being really cute and kind. In the novel you can see why people follow him, in the Arakawa manga and TV anime... not so much. Novel Narsus would have spoken two words with Arakawa's Arslan and then would have told him that he wishes him well but he doesn't do charity cases.

Personally I think Arakawa just didn't "get" Arslan, and didn't know how to write him, so she turned him into a more stereotypical "spoiled but sweet and well-meaning hero who needs to learn about the world!" character.

I wouldnt go that far.

also i highly doubt the novel version of narsus would dismiss arakawa's arslan just like that.

Better to have a prince who is naive BUT well meaning and insanely pure hearted which is exactly who the anime & manga versions of Arslan is so you can mold him into your image, which is exactly what is happening in the manga and anime versions & you can pretty much see it in later eps that arslan is acting more and more like narsus. almost everyone who is been into the series up to this point have at least picked uped on that much.

also it seems that arakawa is using the aspects of what she did in FMA and to be frank you kinda cant blame her considering on how popular the anime and manga versions are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
also i highly doubt the novel version of narsus would dismiss arakawa's arslan just like that.

Well no, he probably would've also rolled his eyes at Daryun, asking him why he thought he'd help this boy, before telling them both to get out and stop drawing attention to him.

jr0904 wrote:
Better to have a prince who is naive BUT well meaning and insanely pure hearted which is exactly who the anime & manga versions of Arslan is so you can mold him into your image, which is exactly what is happening in the manga and anime versions & you can pretty much see it in later eps that arslan is acting more and more like narsus. almost everyone who is been into the series up to this point have at least picked uped on that much.

Except that's not what Narsus is supposed to be doing. It's a valid concept I guess, but it's not what Narsus is supposed to be doing. Even if this is what Arakawa is consciously going for, it's a butterfly effect.

jr0904 wrote:
also it seems that arakawa is using the aspects of what she did in FMA and to be frank you kinda can't blame her considering on how popular the anime and manga versions are.

Are you trying to say that popularity is the only measure of a story's worth, especially when it's an adaptation? And that an author should just use the same aspects and tools and ideas in all their stories because hey, they're popular?

And anyway, lots of people who read the manga or watch the anime have nothing to compare it to because they haven't read the novels nor even watched the old anime (which had its share of changes, too, but it also had much less time to work with, being an OVA). So for them this is "Arslan Senki", this is the version that they imprint on. Even if they opt to read the novels later (that most won't, because soooo many words), they won't become their basis of comparison, it will be the TV series or the Arakawa manga.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
episode 24 was great!

the one on one fight alone is worth it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
called it, told you it was stupid of Arslan just to walk up to people who had come to kill him and tell them who he was. although apparently his plot armor is explained as the Divine protection of Mithra heh.

btw, wasn't arslan's army outnumbered by like 2 or 3 to 1? even after getting into the fortress how exactly did they win?
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
called it, told you it was stupid of Arslan just to walk up to people who had come to kill him and tell them who he was. although apparently his plot armor is explained as the Divine protection of Mithra heh.

btw, wasn't arslan's army outnumbered by like 2 or 3 to 1? even after getting into the fortress how exactly did they win?

I hate to keep talking about the OVAs, but it helps to understand that spoiler[ this version ignored the climactic battle against more enemies over by Rajendra, and instead made the much lesser one against the Count and Etoile bigger than it should have been to have a high note to end on. In the latter, all the men had joined the army so there was no one at the castle to defend it and stupid Etoile led them straight into it. It was a slaughter, and all the women killed themselves and their children right after the Count jumped and gave them the idea. Hermes wasn't even there. ]

It looks like this will end the same place as the OVAs. Boo. I wanted to know some of what happened afterwards.

The Hermes-Daryun fight was great though. Farengis was badass and truly a heavenly body lol. I was hoping Gieve would show up, but alas he did not.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
another thing that just occurred to me; how does Arslan keep getting left unguarded. He was left alone with Count Barcacion, one of the enemy leaders, who even still had a knife on him and could have stabbed Arslan in the back pretty much at any moment. Then Étoile shows up and attacks him without anyone stopping her (that's twice in the same day now?)

But then this isn't exactly new
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
Farengis walking forward into a room with 200 archers, and somehow not being hit was some goofy bullshit.

But that fight with Hermes made up for it a bit.
sven7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
I simply cannot get past the reviewers poor attitude when it comes to this show. I feel like all she does, and has done over the course of the series, is complain. I feel like it's on ANN to at least give reviews to people who might genuinely try to enjoy the show.

Does the show have subpar animation at times? Yes, nobody denies that. Yet, the plot truly holds the show up. Does the reviewer even watch this show? She said that Arslan retakes Ecbatana? WHAT?! They're not even near the capital -- this is a keep. This is merely the first stage of Arslan's quest to retake the kingdom. I can't see why she expects the show to wrap up all of the open subplots when it's obviously been pacing for an additional season. The Arslan universe is quite large -- there are a lot of novels in the series. To me, and I could clearly be wrong, the show paces as if there will be more than just this season.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
I just felt bad for Elam. Everybody was just sitting around and talking instead of, you know, trying to stop the bleeding or something? It was like "you've done your part, no use in wasting energy on actually saving you". Laughing
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Rose, Arslan hadn't won his kingdom back. Far from it. This is just a minor military victory on the way to the capital. There will be no decisive ending to this story at least in this season. It's only covered about a quarter of the books that have been written, and there's no convenient stopping place from what I can tell. I hope that means they'll continue the anime so we get some real answers.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
It looks like this will end the same place as the OVAs. Boo. I wanted to know some of what happened afterwards.

The Hermes-Daryun fight was great though. Farengis was badass and truly a heavenly body lol. I was hoping Gieve would show up, but alas he did not.

Yeah, I hope they get to continue. It definitely seems like they expect to be able to.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
Farengis walking forward into a room with 200 archers, and somehow not being hit was some goofy bullshit.

That's what happens when you give stormtroopers bow and arrows.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode #24:

Arslan acted kinda like a snob there at the beginning of the episode, with him walking towards Étoile without him weapon drawn -- despite Lusitania's troops' clear intentions of going after Pars' general -- and basically saying "yeah, I'm Arslan. Whacha gonna do 'bout it?" And then acting surprised when said Lusitania soldiers start swinging their swords (and injuring Elam). That was a facepalm moment for me.

Secondly, despite the amount of clothing she wears, it is good to see that Farangis' Plot Armor is still intact and working Laughing

While the TV show, as a whole, has followed the same path the OVAs did (well, they are based on the same source material after all), I don't think that the end point will be the same. Unless the last episode will rush through the whole events that happened, that is. I'm really hoping that a 2nd season will be greenlit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 17