• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hideaki Sorachi Tops Japanese Poll on Favorite Manga Artists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animelytical

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
FuzzB wrote:
Registered just to say this:

Honestly, I find anyone a moron, who says that his favourite manga artist is someone who have created only one series (or at best 1-2 very short ones). That doesn't not mean the author is bad or anything, just that it's not your favourite author, but your favourite series.

A favourite author should be someone who had made at least 2 bigger series and you end up liking all of his works.

You registered just to say that?!

There is no reason that distinction has to be made. If the one series shows enough within it to enable someone to call the mangaka their favourite, that is fine. Someone's favourite can be to do with consistent quality over many different series, or for creating characters and stories that people can relate to or find extremely memorable or influential within on their lives. Surely that's up to the individual? Must they like another author more just because they have more works that they like?
MetalHunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Top three come to no surprise. Well Gintama being so high up is kind of a surprise, but, eh, it's good insight.

What surprised me the most was that Kubo made the list. People keep saying that people hate him yet he made top 20. As a Bleach fan that makes me so happy.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
FuzzB wrote:
Registered just to say this:

Honestly, I find anyone a moron, who says that his favourite manga artist is someone who have created only one series (or at best 1-2 very short ones). That doesn't not mean the author is bad or anything, just that it's not your favourite author, but your favourite series.

A favourite author should be someone who had made at least 2 bigger series and you end up liking all of his works.

Yup I agree but also that the author could have made a SUPER long running work. I think that would count too because in that one work all of the author's ideas and quirks come out
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Surprised but awesome to see it. Gintama really is something special.

Honestly, I should catch up, as I'm so many chapters behind on Gintama.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
OK folks: Your attention, please.

Please do not reference FuzzB's post in any posts from here on out. This is not a request.

Thank you.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Is your manga a bestseller, new or being constantly (re-)adapted? Was it a weekly publication so it can´t leave anyones mind? (Female targeted weekly magazine stopped existing in the late 80s btw.) Is it young male targeted? Is it a light read? Congrats it will be on the list as this is a popularity contest only. No Osamu Tezuka. Lol. Titans does look distinct now but Hajime Isayamais @ No.12 Rolling Eyes ? Before the Falls looks (and reads) better. World renowned artist Takeshi Obata at No.19? At least i know all who charted and Chika Umino does shows up at the tail end.
Dr.Slump or pre Z Akira Toriyama was a master and Masashi Kishimoto needs to be higher as his art is insane for a weekly series but a choose Hiromu Arakawa as my favorite here and i have read all her works that aren´t a comedy about talking cows.

True art though won´t come form a weekly format that puts deadline before everything else and mangaka are paid by the page so a hiatus means a pay cut. Kentaro Miura, present day Takehiko Inoue (they didn´t vote for Vagabond or Real let´s be honest) and so on do it right.
They take breaks (but not time off from work) and don´t ask me how Sakamoto Shinichi does it. All A-level American artist (who aren´t Greg Capullo) and especially Europeans take their time too and i always feel something when i see Naoki Urasawa, Frank Quietly or Juanjo Guarnido pick up a pen. I don´t when i read the perfectly good looking and charted Tokyo Ghoul:re. I understand that most of these mangaka work so hard that they have less of a life then automaton but they are only turning out their B-level material and being a slave to their editors. This isn´t "art" but pure commerce only and the Mona Lisa was painted from 1503 to 1507 and not in a week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I really would have liked to have seen some more representation from properties aimed towards girls/women. There are a lot of fantastic shoujo and josei artists and perhaps all except CLAMP have gone unnoticed in this survey.
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised about this tbh, since 52% were male you would think Oda would rank higher, with gintama's audience being mostly female and all.
It's good to see ishida-sensei and yana on top 10 tho, they're always so nice to their fans, especially ishida.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Cocoa Fujiwara in there. Really like her art in InuBoku...and I still get sad when a new volume arrives. She passed away so young. At 13, her rank is the highest of the mangaka who's work I collect (that made this list).

Cutiebunny wrote:
There are a lot of fantastic shoujo and josei artists and perhaps all except CLAMP have gone unnoticed in this survey.

Not a fan of Io Sakisaka? Personally, loved the art in Strobe Edge...and hope to see Blue Spring Ride get licensed.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Gintama is quite funny enough for it and its author to be quite reputable.

Also, Yoshihiro Togashi does have some fans even if hiatuses are his thing. . . . .
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The lack of Tezuka I think is a mistake considering he's often revered as the God of Manga. There is only 1 manga-ka, dead or alive, that I find to be as close to Tezuka without him being Tezuka and that is Ishinomori.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Inoue Takehiko should have been Higher, or first! Seriously no more Other authors? *sigh*

Glad Chica Umino is there though.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
All of them are quite influential and I can't agree more.

It's a shame that Ai Yazawa didn't rank though.
spindafortuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
it might be too much to wish for but i hope mizukami satoshi is at least on the top 50
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
After about more than eleven years of Gintama serialization, Sorachi is still on the improving on his storytelling - with last arcs, that is nothing but seriousness in for about a year, he's really got a new level in manipulation of reader emotions, and his art is clearly evolving in this years.

And it's good to know that his fans really aprecciate that, according to this pool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3