• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Group Therapy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:52 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
also the reason why its daunting for those unfamiliar with the franchise is that it original source materials for stay night , type zero and hollow ataraxia are based off of their Visual Novels which are 18+ ero VN so it make understanding the series very complicated. not to mention that stay night have three routes and all according to type moon are original source which there lies the problem.

I think the comment about it being daunting was more about there being already so many anime adaptations, so people don't know where to start. It helps that the fandom is bipolar when it comes to this, too, half the time saying one thing, half the time saying another. Zero isn't based off a Visual Novel, but off a Light Novel, and isn't 18+, and Realta Nua (the release adapted for UBW 2014-2015) is also not 18+, and Hollow Ataraxia recently got a non-18+ release.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
Whats with referring to female otaku as fujoshi?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
Ah, Kamigami no Asobi. I enjoyed you more than I was ever supposed to.

I gave that one my "banana award" for that season - an anime that was so bad it's great. Seriously, there was several times during my watch through where I just burst out laughing. The flowers appearing behind the boys when they were introduced. The entire school play episode. As someone who enjoys fluffy reverse-harem stuff, I found the series hilarious.

So yes. Thank you KnA for the laughs and cheese.

I think I liked it for similar reasons, but I would not quite call it so bad it was good. Indeed I found things like the flowers or the magical girl like transformation of a dude kind of funny from being in kind of like that way. Rather than take itself too seriously it felt like it said something like: Sure you can like this if you are the target audience and want some bishies, or you can laugh how it is a bit silly. It stopped itself from so many traps like a heroine who is half interesting and does things, and it really does not feel possessive of her, like the times a guy does that is treated as bad news.

I honestly felt it was entertaining with funny things like that play, the school stands, and melodramatic wall slams.
Waffitti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
One thing I never got about K-ON was that they chose to make the surnames of the band the same as the surnames of the members of P-Model (aka Susumu Hirasawa's band). What they played was miles away from "light music" and Hirasawa's disgust for pop culture is no secret (even tough he hasn't watched the show, it seems like the exact type of thing he would look down at. Just look at Maromi!), but he seems to take it lightly.

The other members might enjoy it? Katsuhiko Akiyama & Teruo Nakano have both acknowledged it (Sadatoshi Tainaka retired, so he won't comment) but knowing how cuckoo they are I doubt it.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Waffitti wrote:
One thing I never got about K-ON was that they chose to make the surnames of the band the same as the surnames of the members of P-Model ...

The writers of the anime are not responsible for that. The names were chosen by Kakifly, the creator of the manga.
I thought that he did it as a tribute or homage because, as a musician himself, he respects them. But I have no source for that.

Sawako Yamanaka and Nodoka Manabe are named after members of The Pillows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Just personal preference. I tried K-On, wasn't for me. So, I am one that doesn't understand why it was so popular, as having not established any sort of connection to the show, my viewpoint would be very different to those that found something they enjoyed.

"Wasn't for me" is a far cry from "don't understand why it was so popular". Even if the show wasn't to your tastes, can you not understand why other people might feel differently and not be wrong about it?
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Not to be That Guy, but... augh. I'm sorely tempted by the new K-On release, but "no music videos" seems like a real sticking point. :/ For someone who didn't own the original DVDs, can someone explain exactly what these were? Are they what they sound like (i.e., full animated short videos for various songs), or something else entirely?
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
^
About the music videos:
The music was English dubs of the songs Fuwa Fuwa Time, My Love Is a Stapler, and Brush Pen Ballpoint Pen. I think that they used the original instrumental tracks.
As far as I can remember the video was just clips from the show, but I am not certain of that. If I have time I will check them.
EDIT: The video is just clips from the show. The videos are only about 90 seconds each. The English vocals do not sound quite right to me. I do not think that the singing is bad, but I have listened to the originals so many times that the different voices sound wrong.

I think that we got those because Bandai USA could not get permission to use the clean OP and ED.
Since there was no mention of them in the review I guess that Sentai could not get permission either, even though they do have clean OP and ED for K-On!! and the movie.

Last edited by Touma on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
also the reason why its daunting for those unfamiliar with the franchise is that it original source materials for stay night , type zero and hollow ataraxia are based off of their Visual Novels which are 18+ ero VN so it make understanding the series very complicated. not to mention that stay night have three routes and all according to type moon are original source which there lies the problem.

I think the comment about it being daunting was more about there being already so many anime adaptations, so people don't know where to start. It helps that the fandom is bipolar when it comes to this, too, half the time saying one thing, half the time saying another. Zero isn't based off a Visual Novel, but off a Light Novel, and isn't 18+, and Realta Nua (the release adapted for UBW 2014-2015) is also not 18+, and Hollow Ataraxia recently got a non-18+ release.

well i definitely know the realta nua games arent ero. everyone knows that much.though hollow ataraxia getting a non ero release is definitely new to me. especially considering that it haven't gotten an anime series as of yet and Type Moon is more focused on Apocrypha as well as the Fate Grand Order games.

but the zero novels? highly doubt it. considering the amount of crap that went down.especially when it came to young Sakura. the BS she went through should at the hands of the Matous should have given Zero 18+ status immediately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
but the zero novels? highly doubt it. considering the amount of crap that went down.especially when it came to young Sakura. the BS she went through should at the hands of the Matous should have given Zero 18+ status immediately.

Nitroplus' site seems to currently only have the 4th novel for sale, but it's not noted as being 18+. There isn't any age restriction in it, unlike some other books with 18+ or a 15+ restriction.
Waffitti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
The writers of the anime are not responsible for that. The names were chosen by Kakifly, the creator of the manga.
I thought that he did it as a tribute or homage because, as a musician himself, he respects them. But I have no source for that.

Sawako Yamanaka and Nodoka Manabe are named after members of The Pillows.

My reaction is grounded in how big of a style clash it is. Both bands (the Pillows less so) are a totally unexpected fit with the everything of K-On. I can only speak for P-Model, but I can safely that it's one of the least moe bands out there. It's kinda like finding out that the music of Rugrats was done by two members of Devo. Frankly K-On isn't my thing, but I would find a lot more enjoyable if Kakifly had given Azusa Nakano her namesake's glorious 80's hair (Nakano's the one jumping around a lot in the beginning).

I knew that the author was kind of a rock fan in general, but discovering that he's really into guitars I get the reason for the reference. Susumu Hirasawa is legendary among Japanese guitarists and is crazy good at playing it (fun fact: That song was written for Yuko Miyamura).
MrBonk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
I went into K-On expecting a music oriented show. Didn't come out with that. But it's really enjoyable for the first season with some really good music.

The 2nd season however is not that enjoyable for me. It's unbearably devoid of anything worthwhile.
I don't want to bother with the Movie.
Hell, I doubt the story could ever be ever developed into anything , especially romance less they stir the wrath of the insane Otaku.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Nitroplus' site seems to currently only have the 4th novel for sale, but it's not noted as being 18+. There isn't any age restriction in it, unlike some other books with 18+ or a 15+ restriction.

true.but that was mainly for the anime version which was toned downed a bit. but the novels and manga definitely had all the graphic details of sakura being tentacle raped in the matou mansion.everyone in the forums was pretty convinced both the manga and/or novels of zero would earned the 18+ or 15+ rating easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:07 am Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Just personal preference. I tried K-On, wasn't for me. So, I am one that doesn't understand why it was so popular, as having not established any sort of connection to the show, my viewpoint would be very different to those that found something they enjoyed.

"Wasn't for me" is a far cry from "don't understand why it was so popular". Even if the show wasn't to your tastes, can you not understand why other people might feel differently and not be wrong about it?

I can understand they would feel differently, that's a given. I just don't know what exactly drew them in to the series. And, it's nothing I've looked into either.

Purely, from what I experienced, I just don't see the draw.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:20 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
true.but that was mainly for the anime version which was toned downed a bit. but the novels and manga definitely had all the graphic details of sakura being tentacle raped in the matou mansion.everyone in the forums was pretty convinced both the manga and/or novels of zero would earned the 18+ or 15+ rating easily.

Like I said, it's the novel that's on sale there, and it's not 18+.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4