• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comet Lucifer Blu-rays to Have English Subtitles in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Julliant wrote:
I've spent a couple thousand on Anime DVDs/Bluray, so if Japan starts having English subs in their releases, they'll have my money.

Totally! Instead of purchasing 40+ series for those 'couple thousand dollars' you'll now get 4!

Good investment.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
traveling wrote:
Pretty much every modern Bandai Visual release has English subs.

Yeah, most do. It makes me wonder who it is on their staff that does all of the translating. I would not mind having that job at all. It seems like a few other Production companies could use an on staff translator like that. Laughing

trilaan wrote:
But are they usually well done with proper spelling and grammar and such? That's what I'd need to know.

Yep. I own way more imports than I care to admit, and only on very very rare occasion has there been a questionable translation and the punctuation is always on-point. They are as reliable as any domestic translations, to be honest. Maybe even more so.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
So I find it unlikely that this will become a common enough practice that some of the more obscure shows that don't get licensed get English subs.

I'm of the same line of thinking.

The Japanese releases with English subs that I've noted, are all series that end up being licensed. And, the stuff that won't be brought over, that really hold my interest, are things that won't be getting English sub releases in Japan.

Or, should I have hope in Japan doing English subs for a re-releases of Hyouka, REC, Kimi to Boku and Kamisama Kazoku?

Unless I'm missing some information, but something like Nyaruko-san F didn't get subbed. Now that is something I'd import from Japan. And, if I have missed info and the disc release for that OVA did get subs...I will be importing it from Japan. Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Julliant wrote:

Provided the subs are good and not Engrish or dumbed down, bonus if they have translation notes.

I've got a few JP imports and the only one that have been flawed is the Mononoke Hime BD from Ghibli. I can't remember which it was, but one letter is uppercase throughout the entire movie. Other than that the subtitles on the JP imports I have are fine. No Engrish or dumbed down subtitles.

Oh, interesting. I suppose it means that they're serious about the translations and thus would get good translators. I've always been curious how they're able to tell good translations from bad ones.

The sales will still be minuscule though, as I presume they'll only be sold from Japan, and English-speaking fans would have to import them at Japanese home video prices.

CrownKlown wrote:
The problem with your theory is that this is licensed, and pretty much all of the shows that get released in Japan with subs are the major shows that will get licensed. So I find it unlikely that this will become a common enough practice that some of the more obscure shows that don't get licensed get English subs.

It is still possible if the show absolutely bombs before any western localization companies can get the license, or if there is some legal snag preventing anyone else from getting the license. Those would be scenarios where the Japanese companies making the anime might have enough faith to translate them immediately, though for the former, they'd probably already know a show's popularity by the time they work on its home video release.

Comet Lucifer is most certainly not the case either way though, as the article says Sentai's already on it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
I have disposable income, so if I can buy subbed blurays directly from Japan, HELL YEAH. I can give the money directly to the people making the anime I love. Sure, it costs more, but I can help the actual anime industry, not the middlemen.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:13 am Reply with quote
It seems to me the Macross franchise is what could benefit most from this due to the Harmony Gold problem in the USA.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Oh, interesting. I suppose it means that they're serious about the translations and thus would get good translators. I've always been curious how they're able to tell good translations from bad ones.

The sales will still be minuscule though, as I presume they'll only be sold from Japan, and English-speaking fans would have to import them at Japanese home video prices.

The most often situation is that the video publisher would take the subtitles tracks they own, which are created via licensors like Crunchyroll/Sentai Filmworks in this case, and put those on their discs. Since Bandai Visual is both the video publisher and international rightsholder for English-speaking territories, it's a simple transfer to a new department. (overly simplified of course)

Sometimes it doesn't happen that way. Warner Home Video used to produce their own subtitles for their releases in 2012-2013, but they stopped shortly after (most likely seeing little effect on sales).

Last edited by ultimatemegax on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
It does seem possible that this tactic could be popular for shows where the licensor doesn't want to allow North American licensed and released BDs for fears of Region A reverse importation. One example so far would be Gundam Unicorn, where the only North American release so far is a DVD.

Some licensors already are reluctant to allow North American BD releases (whether not at all, for extra money, or only after a time delay), so it's difficult to predict whether this trend means that shows that would not have gotten an North American BD release now at least have English subs on the Japanese release, or whether it means that more licensors will use this as a primary strategy and delay or refuse more North American BD releases, trying to push international fans to buying the Japanese release. It could be good or bad for English speaking fans on different particular shows. (At the same time we have some Japanese companies like Aniplex and Pony Canyon trying to sell directly in the North American market with closer to Japan-- but still cheaper-- prices.)

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, the less money going to another middleman, the better for the anime's success.

DmonHiro wrote:
Sure, it costs more, but I can help the actual anime industry, not the middlemen.

If it's more expensive, then yes, by you personally paying more for your one copy than you would otherwise you are giving more money to the anime, helping make that production profitable, and helping ensure more anime like that are produced.

The sentiments about middlemen being useless or "the less money going to middlemen the better" are both generically and specifically ignorant, though a common economic misconception. The middlemen are performing a job of authoring and distribution that otherwise would have to be performed in-house. Less money to the middlemen means more money spent internally. If the middlemen, because of better knowledge of the particular international anime market, are able to market the show better, choose a better price point to maximize profits, or do anything else that improves the show's profitability, then that leads to more profits for the Japan anime industry than doing things in house.

It is true that often on a particular show the rights holders trade the risk/reward of international sales for a guaranteed payment, with the licensee holding most of the risk (as well as the chance of a runaway hit.) However, since the middlemen have to license the show, strong profits for the middlemen will lead to other people seeking to become licensees, which will bid up the price for the rights, leading to more profits for the anime industry. (It also will lead to co-productions by licensees as well, helping the anime industry.)
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Since Bandai Visual is both the video publisher and international rightsholder for English-speaking territories, it's a simple transfer to a new department. (overly simplified of course).

Bandai Visual is a pretty special case indeed. They are simply doing the same thing on their Japanese Gundam releases that they did on their North American releases. They are also dubbing their Japanese Blu-Ray releases of Gundam UC and Gundam Origin, using the same NYAV Post studio in New York that they did when they released more anime directly to the North American market and retailers, instead of exclusive distribution of occasional releases through TRSI.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
Now if only The Origin LE EP1 BD didn't cost TWICE as much officially distributed here in NA as it does in Japan.

For literally. The same. God damn. Package.

It also applies to the old Unicorn BD releases. Range from twice to nearly 3 times as much.

It's strange considering the Premium 0079 Blu-rays cost 44,000 yen. And most of the other series cost between 25,000 and 30+ per HALF.

*Le sigh*

I [expletive] hate Bandai Visual/Sunrise.

It's not like it's going to bankrupt them to sell at a cheaper price. Gunpla is essentially a non-stop money train that could easily make up any supposed losses.
lem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
First that I've heard of this title *off to do some googling*

For the newer fans/newer to ANN

Thanks!! to the fantastic work of WTK we can see what's already available on this spreadsheet:
(JP/HK/TW/KR) DVD/Blu-ray Release List with (EngSub) and/or (EngDub)

And here's the ANN thread for these type of releases
(JP/HK/TW/KR) DVD/Blu-ray Release List with (EngSub) and/or (EngDub)
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
Now if only The Origin LE EP1 BD didn't cost TWICE as much officially distributed here in NA as it does in Japan.

For literally. The same. God damn. Package.

It also applies to the old Unicorn BD releases. Range from twice to nearly 3 times as much.

It's strange considering the Premium 0079 Blu-rays cost 44,000 yen. And most of the other series cost between 25,000 and 30+ per HALF.

*Le sigh*

I [expletive] hate Bandai Visual/Sunrise.

It's not like it's going to bankrupt them to sell at a cheaper price. Gunpla is essentially a non-stop money train that could easily make up any supposed losses.

"For literally. The same. God damn. Package." This is incorrect. What Sunrise sold in North America via RightStuf and internationally through Daisuki was the "Collectors edition" sold via Bandai Visual's store. This had additional bonus materials included that were not included elsewhere on sites like Amazon. To compare Bandai Visual's edition (which was only sold at its MSRP) to a standard edition sold at Amazon (which Amazon discounts 26%) is irrelevant as they are two separate products.

Your complaints are essentially pointless as you could buy the Japanese standard edition at that price. If someone wanted to import the Collector's Edition previously, they would have to use a middleman. Sunrise eliminated that for their international version to allow those fans to purchase it.

Please refrain from mistakenly confusing different editions in the future. It will save you a lot of stress.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
I think ANN might as well make WTK a part of the staff since this person is good at finding native Japanese BDs with Eng. subs.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I have disposable income, so if I can buy subbed blurays directly from Japan, HELL YEAH. I can give the money directly to the people making the anime I love. Sure, it costs more, but I can help the actual anime industry, not the middlemen.

Same. If that is an option, I always go for that. And, to be honest, with the exchange rate as it is right now, you can get most JP releases for only a slight mark up over a lot of US LE releases, and the packaging is usually substantially better, as is the technical quality. Case in point, the Baccano Blu-ray LE import cost me roughly $150. The US LE release literally cost the same amount before it went OOP. Now it costs much more than that, while you can still get the JP release, with dub and sub, for that price.

KrownClown wrote:
The problem with your theory is that this is licensed, and pretty much all of the shows that get released in Japan with subs are the major shows that will get licensed. So I find it unlikely that this will become a common enough practice that some of the more obscure shows that don't get licensed get English subs.

Surprisingly, that is not the case quite often. And even a lot of the shows that are licensed here might not have a BD release, like in Japan, or a set that is remotely equivalent in terms of content.

Black Rock Shooter does not have a US release, or license, but the JP Blu-ray release has English Subtitles and a butt ton of content, including a chipboard artbox, an artbook, the Blu-rays, the OST, and a freaking figma of Black Rock Shooter. It cost me $200. A release with that much content in the US would probably have cost about the same.

Mai Hime and Mai Otome do not have a US license, but they have a Limited Edition Blu-ray release in Japan with English subtitles.

RahXephon is not currently licensed to my knowledge, and never had a Blu-ray release in the US, but it has an LE Blu-ray release in Japan that includes the movie as well as the series with English Subtitles. Also roughly $175 for all of it.

Kanon(2006) does not have a Blu-ray release in the US, while Japan does.

Haruhi was unlicensed for a good bit of time, but has had multiple dubbed and subbed JP Blu-ray releases that get you the entire series for about $230.

A good number of Gundam releases were never licensed, or never had BD releases.

Anyway, that gives you an idea. Smile

Kadmos1 wrote:
I think ANN might as well make WTK a part of the staff since this person is good at finding native Japanese BDs with Eng. subs.

I know right. I love that person. They have kept me informed for years now. Without him, a lot of shows would have at least one less sale. Laughing
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I need to start buying anime monthly again. I just finished collecting Tiger & Bunny. Took a good year to get all of the limited editions. I'm so behind I still haven't finished collecting DOG DAYS' lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3