• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Robert Rodriguez in Talks to Direct Cameron's Live-Action Battle Angel Alita Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I love Battle Angel Alita. Hopefully Robert Rodriguez can make a somewhat decent adaption to this series but I'm just worried that this film might get shelved unless they start getting serious about it very soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Robert Rodriguez? With Cameron still involved in a producing and writing capacity, at least this would free him more to do those Avatar sequels.

As for Robert Rodriguez, I really haven't liked any of his recent films after Planet Terror and his last film Machete Kills was just dreadful and that huge flop Sin City 2 was 9 years way too late. I really hope that this long overdue adaptation will finally get the justice that it deserves and plus, I am kind of interested to see Rodriguez go outside his comfort zone and actually have an actual budget under his control because Robert Rodriguez with a $200+ million budget? At least that would be something new from him.

Anyways, with Rodriguez involved, I expect a Danny Trejo cameo.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Brought it up elsewhere, but is there even an audience for these type of movies anymore, after T5 flopped?
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
DragonSpikeXIII wrote:
Dammit Jim, why didn't you pick Alita over Avatar ten years ago...

Because there's just such a huge story you can tell about blue Pocahontas people in space. I mean, I doubt 4 three hour long movies are barely enough! I miss old Jimmy, the guy who did Abyss and Aliens and Titanic. sigh... It's depressing to think that by the time Avatar 4 is released he won't have made a non avatar movie in 25 years.... O___O
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
I've never seen BAA, but... wasn't this a sci-fi story about a robot-girl with an arm-blade?

Yes. Along with losing that arm-blade (and other body parts) every now and then.

... Thinking about it, I'd feel a lot better about this if Cronenberg were attached, but, well, here we are.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Robert Rodriguez has to have been picked for this project because one of his best quality's to film studios is making profitable films on time and under budget.

And under budget is what Alita needs to be as it will flop regardless.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GATSU wrote:
Brought it up elsewhere, but is there even an audience for these type of movies anymore, after T5 flopped?

$440 million worldwide and 10th highest grossing film of 2015 so far is a flop now? Confused

The US film industry is so going to crash.

{Merged serial posts. ~nobahn}
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Ushio: With P&A, the budget for T5 is probably at least half that much. And you gotta split the take between two companies, since Paramount doesn't own Terminator.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I am really surprised we are potentially getting this string of anime based movies for real now. I mean first they cast ScarJo for Ghost In The Shell, Nat Wolff in Death Note and now Robert Rodriguez may finally be taking Battle Angel Alita off of James Cameron's hands? Shoot will we finally see Cowboy Bebop and Akira eventually too if these other things happen? Shocked
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
They need to make it, have it fail......... because it will and move on with our lives. Five people want it to happen, the rest are no longer into the culture.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
Hey ya guys didn't want to wait after the Avatar movies
Dannyhibiki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Just got to say, I remember first reading news of this project (on this same website) while slacking off in a high school computer media class in, like, 1999.

Crazy that this live-action Alita is still being floated around.
Keichide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
It would be better if they made a 50 Episode long Anime Series out of it, containing BAA and BAA: Last Order.. But i think i read somewhere that, that would not be possible because of the Live Action Movie from Cameron.

But imagine Production IG or Ufotable making the Anime Adaption O___O
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
I read this article on Variety. Ignoring that James Cameron has been singing and dancing about this movie for longer than I've known anime to exist, because that's a thing, the story behind Gunm/Battle Angel Alita is described as "a young woman's search for meaning and love".

I've never seen BAA, but... wasn't this a sci-fi story about a robot-girl with an arm-blade?

Yes, but "a young woman's search for meaning" is very definitely a major part of the franchise. It comes up at virtually all points in the story. The "search for love" part is only an occasional component, with one of the two most prominent times being near the beginning.

Hearing another competent director's name associated with the project is heartening that movie might now actually happen sooner rather than much later. While I'd love to see Cameron direct this, I am also thoroughly fed up with waiting for him, and there is enough of an over-the-top aspect to BAA that I don't see a problem with Rodriguez's established style.

As for doing it as a TV series, I think the whole manga could be satisfactorily done in 24-26 eps. There's a lot which could be trimmed/condensed without significantly hurting the story; for instance, the background tale for the vampire lady (forget her name) covered two full tankoubon, but I think that could be condensed into a single episode if need be. The writing definitely stretches at points and is action-heavy, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, Cameron made Avatar first to test out the CG tech he intended to use for Alita!

He wanted to nail the photoreal rendering and mo-cap so that he could have Alita be a CG bybrid, played by an older actress but with the robo body of a young 14 year old girl.

I don't know if Rodriguez is a good fit. He's good at the exploitation action genre stuff. Maybe with Cameron overseeing this it could work out?

Either way, Avatar was a huge hit. Cameron's just following the money. The man loves pushing the boundaries of film tech and Avatar sequels are the only way FOX will give him a big budget to explore his tech fetish and desire to do difficult scenes underwater.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
The man loves pushing the boundaries of film tech and Avatar sequels are the only way FOX will give him a big budget to explore his tech fetish and desire to do difficult scenes underwater.

Cameron is not beholden to any company for money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3