• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam: Where to Start and What's Worth Watching

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Am I the only one who thought the second half of VOTOMS is where it started to get great, and that the original ending was magnificent?

No sir, you are not. While I think the peak is the Kummen jungle war and the first half of the arc that follows, I thought the ending was a grand slam, and was left totally satisfied. I've been avoiding the OVAs (aside from Mellowlink) because I'm pretty sure they'll screw it up.

As for the Macross franchise, I view almost everything in it as being in continuity with DYRL, because it's the DYRL version of Zentraedi designs that keep getting used. If that makes all the other sequels (except II) into TV shows and OVAs within the Macross TV world, then so be it; I've never liked where they took the franchise after the original, and looking at it in this way not only keeps my precious SDF Macross TV unmolested, I don't have to implode my brain over the stuff that happens in Seven being compatible with the original timeline.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
If you want an example of a review of the MSG franchise that's actually good, look at the Anime Overviewer's Gundamania on Youtube. He goes into almost every series, tries to be fair and balanced even with the ones he didn't like, and goes over why said series is good/bad.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
I watched most Gundam shows, but I avoided four.

-The main SEED duology.

My favorite ones are Z and Wing.
stowrag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
Can't say I really agree with everything, but it's still always nice to hear someone else's take, so good article overall.

I do think that even though time hasn't been kind to it (especially the english dub), Wing is still worth watching. It successfully takes separate elements from everything that came before it and blends them into a story unique enough to stand apart. Nothing else in Gundam (unless it's in something I haven't seen yet: G no Reco, IBO) has explored the neccessity and role of human beings in war the way they did with mobile dolls, and Relena was a stand-out female character with great development in a franchise that seems to have a lot of bad things to say about women.

And for 00, I just have to disagree. While the quality admittedly steadily declines from season to season to movie, for me it never got that bad, and the only thing I'd seriously advise skipping is the movie. The first season was a fantastic new direction for the franchise, and the second was a... decent retelling of the classic Zeta storyline (although with some really bland antagonists). It's most redeemed for me by it's extended, sometimes too big, cast. Saji and Louise especially really stand out for me. They're great examples of what happens when ordinary people (who don't happen to be psychics) get caught up in the conflict.

Nothing else really worth commenting on in the article as far as I'm concerned, and I'm sure my opinions don't really mesh with the fandom as a whole. Still, nice article.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
I have seen all of these (and more as the Ok Evolve) to completion besides Build Fighters/G-Gundam/AGE. These certainly aren´t the "worst" but 2 of them are new and i don´t have another bad to so-so Gundam in me while G was a red flags from the start even back then. I suggest to start with the original 0079 show, to then catch up with the Origin + all the One Year War OVAs , to then treat yourself to Zeta which is the best (tv) mech anime (Macross Plus exists after all) to this day and close it off with Char's Counterattack. The rest can be viewed in any order but i would suggest 00 as the next tv project and Turn A Gundam should be watched last (or after watching all pre Seed shows.) Here is where i disagree in the same (slightly random) order Lauren put them:

(MS IGLOO is too long but i would recommend it once for the atmosphere even if there are better manga about the topic.)

0083: Stardust Memory Maybe? Is one of the best Ova´s ever!

Char's Counterattack is a must and the angsty nonsense with the children has been done away in the latest manga.

Gundam Unicorn is a canon braking angst fest but it does look pretty so it´s not a complete waste. It´s a modern F91 in my eyes.

(Gundam F91 may be a forgeable mess but the visuals and music are worth it and the Crossbone manga "sequels" are all childish trash.)

Victory Gundam is my favorite TV Gundam after Zeta but it has noting to do with the UC century i will admit and shouldn't have been a show for kids.

Gundam Seed is a definite NO but i does have strong music and Destiny is quite hilarious at times so that one is a "maybe" for me.

Gundam 00 is the director´s best work and was well received but i will agree on the abysmal movie. Space Flower Aliens in a post 9/11 show ~What?

I am also about to stop watching Iron Blooded Orphans if the next 2 episode continue to slowly fall apart as they crawl along. Viewers (including me) described it as "follow up" to Wing (also my first) or the similar 00 after the pilot but i feel that i am watching another AGE by now. I like that the leads are unrepentant murders and the production value are good (dat ending song!) but mediocre isn´t good enough anymore and the entire franchise needs better written woman all wound.

I am lastly way more into the post-The Origin Gundam manga line that into anything Sunrise has done on the animated front in that timeframe. They need to close some of their studios (cough Studio 8 cough) to refocus and a new writing staff is a must.
See you all for the inevitable Macross write up next year (and VOTOMS fell apart during the second half if anyone cares but the original ending was quite good).

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
WeskerGriff wrote:
As for what I would recommend. I would suggest new fans who want to get into the UC start with 0080, 08th MS Team, and 0083. All three of those series have awesome action scenes and all three of them are short. Then I would work back with the original MSG, Zeta, CCA, and then Unicorn.

While I see your point, those all assume familiarity with the general setting. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy them, but might be better to watch the movies for First to start.

amagee wrote:
She was incredibly consistent with her scoring. She gave either a "yes", "no", or "maybe". What it seems you and a ton of other people here actually wanted was a 2500 word individual editorial on each series defending her determination of whether or not she would recommend it. This is absolutely asinine.

No, she wasn't. The reason stated for Stargazer is relevance to the main story. If not being relevant to the main story is a big enough minus to score a 'no' then 0080 and 08th MS Team should have gotten that as well. She docked one series more for something than other series which are guilty of the same thing. That is by definition not consistent.

I don't know why you think I want a 2500 word essay on each one. I would be plenty happy with something like: "Felt too short to get involved with either the characters or their actions." 13 words, far less than she actually did write for most of the series. You can express an actual opinion without that many words. Actually even the relevance to the main story point would be ok if it was consistently applied with the same weight to all the series.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
All these Gundams to watch. I really have to get on it! I'm really enjoying Iron Blooded Orphans and I watched Gundam Seed Destiny back in the day. I've been meaning to watch Gundam 00. I know this list doesn't say it's worth it, but the bishounen!

I found the list very helpful! Time to step on it though.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
I see the idea behind this article, but once again I think ANN misses the mark on an editorial by making it too much about the writers opinion and not enough about providing the viewer with information to make up their own decision. Still could have been worse I suppose. To me the only ones I wouldn't personally recommend to start are Seed, AGE, G-Savior and some of the latter timeline U.C series until the viewer has watched the base ones like the MSG Movie Trilogy, Zeta Gundam and ZZ Gundam in order and yes I would recommend the latter because how can you fully comprehend CCA and Unicorn without having seen ZZ Gundam as well.

By the way why does the site editor come in here and answer and supervise the thread instead of the author herself? I just find that kind of weird, almost like he's been tasked to act in her stead and represent the article or something. Usually it's the other way around and the editor stays behind the scenes.
nakobass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Worth watching, Wing, G, Seed, 00, Unicorn, Build Fighters.

Maybe, Everything else.

No, Age
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
It's probably fair to list G-Gundam as a "maybe" since it is rather different from most other Gundam incarnations. Then again, that is probably why it is my favorite. I always liked its take on the usual war is bad theme that appears throughout Gundam. Instead of open warfare, we have nations admitting that they will always struggle for dominance and that they should set some rules to minimize the damage.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:

By the way why does the site editor come in here and answer and supervise the thread instead of the author herself? I just find that kind of weird, almost like he's been tasked to act in her stead and represent the article or something. Usually it's the other way around and the editor stays behind the scenes.

We make no requirement that our freelance writers engage with or participate in the thread that results from their article, so if something needs clarification, explanation or communication otherwise, that falls on me as the person in charge of editorial. If the writer decides to step in they can, but we don't make that a requirement.
checarlos87

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I never quite understand the bad treatment SEED seems to get in the West. I think it's quite a wonderful series. I'm not comparing it to any other Gundam series, mind you. Just on its own, it's quite great.

The characters are deeply developed and the war themes are well explored, with different sides exploring different solutions to the conflict. The conflict between the many opposing sides is intricately plotted and well-paced: spoiler[Kira vs. Rau, Murue vs. Natarle, Athrun vs. Patrick, etc.]

Also the real-life references and not-so-mild political statements just make the themes even more weighty: the Earth Forces have a base in Washington, DC and most of its top brass looks like US generals; the ZAFT forces are against nuclear weapons because the Coordinators were bombed with nukes (by the Earth Forces); the neutral island nation of Onogoro plays a pivotal role in the war.

SEED is also a mature enough work to bring conflicting attitudes into the mix. The neutral space colony of Heliopolis is criticized for its reluctance to take a side in the conflict, yet Onogoro's neutrality is exalted later in the story. The theme of finding peace is also problematized since even the neutral parties realize that they also need the most powerful weapons in order to bring about peace.

All these themes are far from innovative, but I believe they are well developed in SEED through relatable, moving, and in the case of Rau, intricate characters. spoiler[Rau is also one of anime's greats in the hall of antagonists.]

On top of all that, the music is simply masterful. Even crapola SEED Destiny has an amazing soundtrack.

I don't know how SEED fares compared to the rest of the Gundam universe, but as an anime series I think it's absolutely top-notch.

Last edited by checarlos87 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It's probably fair to list G-Gundam as a "maybe" since it is rather different from most other Gundam incarnations.

G is kind of its own thing. Do you want dragon ball in your gundam? If so, G is definitely worthwhile.

Rivailloli wrote:
I've been meaning to watch Gundam 00. I know this list doesn't say it's worth it, but the bishounen!

00 is also just different. I don't think it is worthwhile as a gundam, but I think it does enough right to make it worthwhile to watch for just a mech show.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Age is the only series I don't mind the "not worth watching" category and even then the first 15 episodes were not bad. SEED fans have a habit of liking Destiny (IE me), Victory is easily the most well structured and entertaining out of the UC stuff, F91 has very gorgeous animation and action, 00 has the highest production values of any of the TV series, G-Reco was not that hard to follow, and ZZ being glossed over like that is a disappointment representation, it had a lot of darker moments as it went on. Hell, ZZ improved after the first quarter. Turn A has nice scenery and music, but aside from Corin Nander and to a lesser extent Harry there isn't much going for it for the first 35 episodes. It is a glorified tribute to old mecha anime Tomino worked on (I've seen them all from Brave Raideen all the way to G-Reco; Dunbine spinoffs like Garzey's Wing and Wings of Rean included), if you know what to look for it isn't that gundam-y.

Apologies if that sounded mean, I'm a gundam fan too and I disagree with some of the things in this article quite a bit.
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
So, my thoughts:

C.E. 73 Stargazer - I personally loved it more than SEED proper.

AGE - You're better off watching the first 15 episodes of the TV series and then switching over to the Memory of Eden compilation film for the rest of it. Makes the story far better with its focus on Asemu and Zeheart.

Endless Waltz - While certain cameos and references might confuse you if you haven't seen the TV series, it is perfectly watchable on its own and was my personal entrance into both Gundam and anime in general when I was 4 years old.

G-Reco - Steer clear of this one.
Side note: G-Reco and Turn A are confirmed to take place in the same world, which is also the same world as MSG. The Universal Century precedes the Correct Century(Turn A) by at least 3,000 years while G-Reco's Regild Century follows Turn A a considerable amount of time later. And fun fact, Correct Century's Black History(Dark History) automatically makes the Correct Century the future of all Gundam timelines, including those released post-Turn A, essentially making all series linked together to some extent, though still separate for the most part.

Turn A - Personally, for me, way too lighthearted, not what I expected from Gundam. I can recommend it as a just for fun series, but I don't take it seriously personally.

Gundam 00 - The first season is definitely the best season, but I never had a problem with the cast. The movie is a great action piece, but very light on story and they fudged the ending.

Gundam X - Hands down my personal favorite with some cool mobile suits.

MS IGLOO - The first six episodes, the ones that follow the Zeon side, are worth watching, hokey MS animations and overexaggerated facial expressions aside. Haven't watched the Federation one so can't really comment on it.

SEED - While I love SEED, it is definitely very, very preachy and does border on annoying at times. SEED Destiny suffered from outside influence and thus died halfway through when the last half of the story was tossed in the trash and rewritten. It was also supposed to get a feature film to tie up the story, but that never happened due to the director falling ill. I had hoped the HD remasters would revitalize the movie.

Mobile Suit Gundam - I both do, and do not recommend this series. While the story is definitely a big draw, as is the world and aesthetics of it, it is so hard to watch it as the animation and art have aged horribly. The movies help, but they don't really alleviate the problems, only shorten the amount of time you have to suffer through them.

And Iron-Blooded Orphans is quickly climbing my list of favorite Gundam series. How long that'll last is anyones guess though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14