• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Myriad Colors Phantom World (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Seemingly neither of them or the other girls seem to have a problem with him feeling her up that way.

Feeling her up? Shocked More like swatting mosquitoes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Hmm, not much fan service this week unless the Chinese style dress count but that's more stylistic for training.

For some reason, I liked the "date" part better than the fighting since they were trying to help out with Mai's memories. No headphone girl this week but a lot of Mayonnaise-sama. The little girl with the teddy bear was kinda distracting in the backgrounds honestly. I hope she isn't just there every episode for filler cameo appearances.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I thought I was looking at a particularly flattering 2D mirror when this face showed up because that's pretty much how I reacted to the entire episode. More weak comedy and what felt like a cheesy "moral of the story" episode and I'm done with the series already.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I think Reina's chances took a big hit... But yeah this show isn't impressing me either. Amagi Brilliant Park had something driving the characters, but this show doesn't have anything like that so far. But I'm sticking with it to see if it gets any better.

P.S. I really think that someone tricked that poor little girl into wearing twin tails on the wrong side of her head.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I dunno about anyone else but I was instantly pulled into Ranma 1/2 when they put those Chinese outfits on and jumped around. Anime hyper

Mai remembering herself how she wanted to and not how she really was, was also funny.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
episode three

I'm enjoying that the work they're putting in to making the main character useful in stupid ways.

While I'm not in love with the show, I think I'm enjoying a bit more than many others in this thread. It's not laugh out loud funny, it's certainly not deep or clever, but I'm finding it fun and likable (this episode included).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I think Reina's chances took a big hit...

Chances with Haruhiko or Mai?

I like the show well enough, though with this episode I felt something I've never felt with KyoAni's other LN based works: that good old "this feels kinda rushed" feeling most LN adaptations have. Probably could have gotten two episodes out of this, especially since Mai is a major character, but it came off as compacted instead.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Cam0 wrote:
I think Reina's chances took a big hit...

Chances with Haruhiko or Mai?

Haha! Anime hyper

I can't figure out if she's actually yuri for Mai or she just has that "I super-admire my senpai and want to be just like her and I'll praise her a lot" complex.

I'm still hoping for HaruxRei; the show literally keeps throwing them on each other.
Whether it's a running gag or not, I don't get tired of this. I'm getting the feeling that Haruhiko thinks of Mai as a big sis, as their interaction seems pretty sibling-like. Reina though...seems more like the type of girl he would be attracted to. If he had to date her in this ep instead, I bet he wouldn't look as bored. Anime hyper
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I can't figure out if she's actually yuri for Mai or she just has that "I super-admire my senpai and want to be just like her and I'll praise her a lot" complex.

I think it's the latter, though it's often confused for the former.

Chiibi wrote:
I'm still hoping for HaruxRei; the show literally keeps throwing them on each other.
Whether it's a running gag or not, I don't get tired of this. I'm getting the feeling that Haruhiko thinks of Mai as a big sis, as their interaction seems pretty sibling-like. Reina though...seems more like the type of girl he would be attracted to. If he had to date her in this ep instead, I bet he wouldn't look as bored. Anime hyper

I'd say Haruhiko is infatuated by Mai (he likes big boobs, apparently) but I think he'll probably develop feelings of 'real love' for Reina. Just look at the way he blushes at her in her china gear.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
That Ruru sure is quite the little tattle-tale.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
This show is nice to watch but plot wise, it's sort of iffy for me. I don't like Ruru at all now because I feel like she adds nothing to the show at all besides some dumb comedy which I really don't get a giggle out of it. Peter Pan did it better with a silent flying fairy -- Ruru's just a major detraction to my enjoyment of a pretty colored show and that's my only reason for staying with the show so far.

The episode took a predictable turn with the two Phantoms whom I guessed to be Mai's "friends" from the first flashback. And I really don't know what they want us to get out of Haruhiko being a walking encyclopedia. It doesn't really add anything to the show in the long term, imo. It'd be more interesting if this role serve a role larger than exposition/info-dumping for the audience.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
Well from the dynamics of the group so far Haruhiko does seem to see Mai as more of a big sister, regardless of thinking she looks good or anything. While he clearly seems at least more attracted to Rei, I think that there was at least one blush and looking away from her that he did in this episode. I am pretty sure Rei said that she has previously gone to an all girls school, which apparently had such things as sis-crushes (whatever the female version of a man-crush is, like bromance) and she has latched that onto Mai. Well she is clearly uncomfortable with seeing her on a date with someone and her not being able to help, but she also just wants to be included.

I imagine that his body would be aching like crazy for suddenly being made to do things it is not used to. Also kind of funny she got her own past wrong, so she probably should have apologised for being a bit of a bully. I am kind of liking Ruru more, especially with her saying his dirty little secrets and such.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
@EmbraceMe

Ruru is more a callback to Hand Maid May than to Tinkerbelle. That show even had a squid/octopus figure as well.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I think Ruru is supposed to be annoying. Anime hyper Haruhiko keeps swatting and squeezing her because the audience would like to do the same.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Ruru's also supposed to be funny, though, but she's just obnoxious. I think the only joke I've laughed at was when she said her whole name, and that was a weak joke.

This episode was incredibly stupid. If they wanted to do a memory transfer thing, couldn't they have used some magic technique rather than mumbo jumbo faux science? I'm losing patience with this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9