• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Western Cartoons Go Anime in South Park, My Little Pony, Gravity Falls

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livinew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh look, Sailor Moon and Speed Racer references. Have never seen those before in a western cartoon. Rolling Eyes

At least South Park is a bit more original.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I like the Utena pony. I'm down with that. That episode of South Park was pretty hilarious though. Some great quotes from that one...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Gravity Falls also had a whole episode about a yandere visual novel villian so, there's that. Haven't watch South Park in years but I laughed my butt off watching the yaoi parody. Laughing Some of the fan art submitted were actually pretty good.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I actively wonder if some of that Craig/Tweek art isn't real from the internet. Because I'd believe it. Best episode of SP in a while.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
That South Park episode was great! Very funny indeed and a lot of great quotes.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
^Entertainment Weekly tweeted a request to send in fan art before the episode aired, so I think it was all real. Which is just amazing. I saw thw ep after seeing all the buzz and Twitter, and I think I had forgotten how offensive South Park is willing to go. Not that I didn't find it funny, but I was surprised they *went there* ("Japan decides who's gay" "It all started with the rape of Don King...")

The Gravity Falls ep had a fantastic Mad Max parody which really made the episode for me.

The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror was actually good this year! I liked the Godzilla parody, especially all the Simpsons characters reimagined as Japanese villagers.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Great episode of South Park, and I liked how they used real fan art for that. Just surreal to see that and how far they went with it. Just perfect. The MLP cameos are nice to see. Liked the Simpsons Treehouse episode because I'm a sucker for Sideshow Bob stuff. Embarassed
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
livinew wrote:
Oh look, Sailor Moon and Speed Racer references. Have never seen those before in a western cartoon. Rolling Eyes

Dude, don't hate. My friends and I loved those shout outs and actually paused the episodes to talk about them. It's okay to enjoy things even if they aren't obscure.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of ironic about South Park, because the art style reminds me of Patalliro, so...
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
I like the Utena pony. I'm down with that.

Definitely. If you told me a select number of anime characters were being referenced in MLP, I never would have guessed Utena.

Or Ranma, for that matter.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
But is it a good thing when the references are either:

a. the same ones over and over again (Sailor Moon, Speed Racer)

or

b. The weird side of anime that the general public always assumes anime is like. (yaoi, shipping fanatics) Do we really want those sort of beliefs about our hobby reinforced?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
livinew wrote:

Dude, don't hate. My friends and I loved those shout outs and actually paused the episodes to talk about them. It's okay to enjoy things even if they aren't obscure.

I think he was referring to the fact that, they are the go to references, and he was hoping for something different.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
livinew wrote:

I think he was referring to the fact that, they are the go to references, and he was hoping for something different.

Not to mention that they've been the default Cartoon Network/All Smarmy-Hyperactive Western Cable Animation "Anime is teh Geek" jokes for the last fifteen years.
I do not exaggerate: FIFTEEN. Pre-Millennial. Minimum. (See PPG joke on other thread.) There are Gravity Falls viewers who have literally never been alive to consider badly-dubbed Speed Racer a racist-cultural symbolic stereotype, and if you mentioned it to them, they'd probably think you were talking about the Wachowski movie.
And "All Anime is Sailor Moon" just celebrated its twentieth anniversary as an anime-disparaging joke....What, no Pokemon, also at a young chipper sixteen?

At least the MLP writers were, um...let's be tactful and say "girly" enough to slip in pet-favorite Utena and Ranma jokes, and South Park was current enough with their stereotypes to try an "All anime is yaoi" joke.
At some point, especially with jokes, you just have to give up cherished traditions handed down from father to son. Rolling Eyes
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
If that ponified Rei dies, can she be replaced?
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I actively wonder if some of that Craig/Tweek art isn't real from the internet. Because I'd believe it. Best episode of SP in a while.

I mean I can send you some links....................................................... D:
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3