• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Weirdest Short Programs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Pandora in the Crimson Shell is also missing from the poll. Crying or Very sad

Totally would have had my vote too. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Loved Sekko Boys this past winter season though I don't think its quite a weird as some of the others on the list but its out there. Like the way they would tie-in some of the history/folklore and it had to best theme song of the season.

The current season's Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro seems destined for this list next time...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
As for weird shorts, I've given up any attempt to figure out whether Komori-san Can't Decline has any actual running plot arc, since I can't figure out whether anything actually happens in a single five-minute episode (apart from the otaku appeal of staring at the heroine's literally volleyball-sized breasts), and almost a minute and a half of that is credits. Confused

(And when did Ghost Rider join the NYPD?)
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I have a real fondness for well-made shorts. The format can allow for really weird things to be made, too. Loved Sekko Boys, and Japan Animator Expo was a treat.

Ah...Pillow Boys/Makura no Danshi. It held no appeal to me, but I watched it because of how uncanny and somewhat creepy it was. From odd scenarios (waking up in a co-workers car after a party) to the fact that there were no background sound effects, it certainly was an experience.
Miporin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
While there isn't anything much to the anime, the Donyatsu manga (available on Crunchyroll) is actually a pretty interesting story.

(And as for satisfying winter shows, I'd go with She and Her Cat: Everything Flows and Pandora in the Crimson ShellConfused)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Comical Psychomatic Medicine is definitely one of the weirdest (but not too out there)
animes I've seen.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Interesting about the short anime. I'm only familiar with the old Adventures of Mini-Goddess, which doesn't exactly fit the characterization as "flash-animated comedy" or "shoddy attempts at drama".
DevoKarasu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm even suprised that Teekyū didn't make it to the list. Sad
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Koyomimonogatari should be added to the poll. Not that I think a lot of people other than me are going to vote for it, though.

I dunno, I read the title of the last episode, spoiler[Koyomi Dead] and that's what I got. Pretty satisfied there.

Oh, and a certain character's appearance after the end credits.

I'd vote for Mahou Tsukai Precure as well: There's been some lackluster visual direction, and I found the writing in episode 9 underwhelming, but apart from that it's been a really fresh take on the show, consistently inventive and entertaining and has easily the strongest character relationship for me since Suite, possibly earlier.
RagnarIV

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Nephry wrote:
Slightly disappointed that Strange+ isn't on here...that sure was a weird one (in a good way).

My thoughts exactly. I loved every minute of that!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
For weird shorts, it's kind of surreal watching the censored and uncensored versions of My Wife Is The Student Council President, as the censored version doesn't bother animating or pixellating around the naughty bits and instead just throws away half the episode in favor of non sequitur stick-puppet-theater segments. It's not good, mind you, but it has so little to do with the story of the episode, it's kind of a kick to watch the two versions side-by-side.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite shorts from the Japan Animators Expo was I can Friday by Day where every second was a WTF moment. Laughing
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
I picked Ajin,Haikyuu!! and Mr. Osamatsu as my favourite winter anime. I loved Durarara's conclusion and Gate. And of course,Sekko Boys!

On the other hand, it's amazing how The List keep coming with new lists every week. It's like your ideas are almost completely infinite. So, have you ever tried animes with most violent towards animals? Nobody can stomach that.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, one I can think of is Ippatsu Kiki Musume, aka Miss Critical moment. That should have made the #1 list to the fact that's insane. I mean blowing up a snake with a broom stuck up your a$$, or something like this. I saw this anime back when I used to torrent years ago. Actually ANN did a column on this show way back.

Let's not forget Neko Ramen.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Before becoming a full-fledged 20-minutes-per-episode TV show, Super Milk-Chan produced 14 8-minute shorts in 1998. They were beautiful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3