• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Joshua Seth, Colleen O'Shaughnessey, More Return for Digimon Adventure tri. Film's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
I'm so excited that Joshua Seth is returning to rephrase his role as Tai now I'm looking forward to watching this movie more than ever. Very Happy
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
I'm vey happy that they managed to get both Joshua and Colleen, although I was pretty sure that Colleen would have made it since she's still voice acting. I'm surprised Joshua managed because of his current career, but most likely the amount of fan demand was one of the major reasons. It's also possible that out of the VAs who retired, he was the easiest to get a hold of.

The song...Yeah they should have just remixed the original Digimon theme. Butterfly is a great song, but the original theme got me hyped for the show. With that said, this is only the trailer, who knows what the actual movie will have. I'm hoping licensing for the music wasn't stingy.
Jaymie wrote:

And it's not like Laura Jill Miller reitired, UGH! She's sitll active!
I liked the old theme song better too.

Lara's working for Disney right now so she's most likely not only too busy to do the role but her contract would make it difficult for the dubbing companies to work with her. Both Matt and Joe's VAs are retired like Tai's and, like mentioned before, either had busy schedules and/or weren't easy to get. There can be a lot of factors that go into trying to get VAs back and it's not always cut and dry.

I'm partially convinced that the reason Doug Erholtz didn't reprise TK is because he can't do the voice as well as he used to. It's also likely he simply didn't want to, OR that they already cast JYB because they didn't expect Erholtz to return. If they one day ever hold a VA panel for Tri, hopefully we'll get a clear answer.

Overall, having half of the original VAs for the digi destined and most for the Digimon is pretty exciting. Can't wait until September!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:46 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
I'm still really upset about the loss of Kari's voice actor though. She had such a distinctive voice that no one will be able to replace. But so did Joshua and Colleen, so at least we have a few victories!
Yeah she had a very unique voice, a little soft with a hint of tomboy in it. It is goo that they have managed to get this many back. Though she was one of the ones that is irreplaceable.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:

Lara's working for Disney right now so she's most likely not only too busy to do the role but her contract would make it difficult for the dubbing companies to work with her. Both Matt and Joe's VAs are retired like Tai's and, like mentioned before, either had busy schedules and/or weren't easy to get. There can be a lot of factors that go into trying to get VAs back and it's not always cut and dry.

In the case of Lara Miller, I had tweeted Lara myself about returning and she said at the time that she would love to return if she was asked. So in her case, she seemed clearly open to the idea but as far as I'm aware, she hasn't said why she wasn't selected. Is she in a voice acting union? It seems like being in a union seems to be a barrier for a lot of old school anime voice actors to return to dubbing in modern times.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
With Tai and Sora's VAs returning, this calls for a Kirby victory dance of the greatest proportions. Seriously, this is fantastic news. It would have been perfect if everyone returned, and it sucks that some of them weren't even asked.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Nyron wrote:
The hero returns

Now what was Joe's excuse?

Joe's voice actor retired.

uh that is what i thought about seth and collen as well.especially for seth's case since no one have heard from him in nearly a decade. then again his case could be somewhat the same case for the VA that voiced tenchi for the original no need for tenchi series until funi pulled all the stops to get him for the new Ryo-Oki OVAs.

but yea. i was more or less sure he also retired for VA as well. they really must had went all out to get him out of hiding, while its gonna please long time fans in the process. unfortunately its starting to feel more and more like the dub version of tri is gonna be somewhat "americanized" and not use the original japaneese scripts. and if that's the case, Tri is more or less will end up like the new YGO movie.

D.O.A to the otaku community. at least its dub version will be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Southkaio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I thought that Joshua Seth retired from the voice acting business to be a magician.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
I thought that Joshua Seth retired from the voice acting business to be a magician.

and he did,but it didn't hurt him coming back to reprise an old role.He even said once he has retired from voice-over but he's not dead.
PhantomVash808

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
So glad Joshua Seth came back but disappointed Kari's voice actress couldn't return.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Really should have just added a slight remix to the original rather than this techno crap. That being said, still not happy with JYB being T.K. Especially since 1 I'm tired of his voice and 2 T.K.'s 02 VA is in the freaking movie. Also I see they couldn't get Matt's original VA back either or Kari's. A shame

They can't. Saban still owns the rights to the music.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I'm so excited that Joshua Seth is returning to rephrase his role as Tai now I'm looking forward to watching this movie more than ever. Very Happy

Yup! So hyped!

Damn, I'm glad those two are now back! And I see even Agumon's VA is back too, epic.

DigitalScratch wrote:
I'm vey happy that they managed to get both Joshua and Colleen, although I was pretty sure that Colleen would have made it since she's still voice acting. I'm surprised Joshua managed because of his current career, but most likely the amount of fan demand was one of the major reasons. It's also possible that out of the VAs who retired, he was the easiest to get a hold of.

Yeah, this is so good as is, we got back a lot more than I had expected and now even Tai's despite him being retired.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Yeah she had a very unique voice, a little soft with a hint of tomboy in it. It is goo that they have managed to get this many back. Though she was one of the ones that is irreplaceable.

Yeah, she's the one I'll miss (provided they got back Tai and Sora's as they now have) as I said in the other thread, but I'm so happy with the cast I can't really complain. Really would have liked hers back though like you said since she's got such a unique voice that's perfect for the character.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
PhantomVash808 wrote:
So glad Joshua Seth came back but disappointed Kari's voice actress couldn't return.

If fans are vocal enough, Eleven Arts might summon Lara Jill Miller up to voice Hikari in the other three films of DAt.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'm happy that the original voice actor for Tai is back. It surprise me how many people dislike the old Digimon dub from Saban when you think a lot of people would defend it due to nostalgia. I mean people will defend the old DBZ dub from Funimation back in 1999-2003 with Bruce Faulconer's music and call it better than the Japanese version. What Funimation did to DBZ back in the old days of Toonami was just as bad as what Saban did with Digimon in my opinion. They both had bad voice acting, corny dialogue, bad censorship and try to Americanize the show to appeal to American kids of the 90's.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
My only worry really is the soundtrack. I mean, It's not a deal breaker, but this Digimon theme has some weird techno theme going on, while to original song was more upbeat and cheerful. I'm okay with the original anime's English ost, but for the movie's sake, if they had to redo the soundtrack for some confusing licensing issues, I'd just rather them go with something a little closer to the original.

That said, Joshua Seth coming back for Tai was awesome. After him saying he would do it, it would have been a real shame if they got someone else to voice him. Worries gone, I'm aboard the hype train.

My thoughts exactly.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
PhantomVash808 wrote:

unfortunately blame the union/non union rules for that. otherwise miss walgreen probably would have reprised her role as kari.

Spawn29 wrote:
Personally I'm happy that the original voice actor for Tai is back. It surprise me how many people dislike the old Digimon dub from Saban when you think a lot of people would defend it due to nostalgia. I mean people will defend the old DBZ dub from Funimation back in 1999-2003 with Bruce Faulconer's music and call it better than the Japanese version. What Funimation did to DBZ back in the old days of Toonami was just as bad as what Saban did with Digimon in my opinion. They both had bad voice acting, corny dialogue, bad censorship and try to Americanize the show to appeal to American kids of the 90's.

i guess your werent around in the 90's then cause there is a real reason why. in that era , anime in the US only related to one thing only. ultra violence and highly sexual that is for adults only, and leading the way were infamous series like akira , ghost in the shell (1995 movie), ninja scroll , vampire hunter d , guyver , and especially mad bull 34 which seriously pushed it to near borderline softcore hentai at times.

also that version of DBZ that funi did was more or less a corolation of the agreement they had when they got the license from Pioneer/Geneon Ent. Also their edited dub version is actually decent.its more or less what made Sean and Christopher R Sabat household names in the otaku community as well as a lot of other Funi VAs.
Also as a note on the so call americanization that Funi did to DBZ,nothing was severely edited.the only thing that was edited were the bad language and blood. and as for the music,they were in the same boat when bandai licensed Gundam Zeta aka they didn't have the rights from the original license holders to use any of the music at that time.

I think you must be talking about the Pioneer/ Ocean Studios version of DBZ which was bad bad bad all around. and saban's version of digimon is worse. luckily for them, the horrors that 4kids and nevlana did in the mid 2000's took the hate and heat away from them as well as the popularity of the power rangers franchise was back then. otherwise they would be the most despised company in the otaku community instead of 4kids and nelvana.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4