• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Kyoto Animation's Taichi Ishidate

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Everything I've read makes me really admire how Kyoto Animation does business and their overall production approach, which makes me sad because I have essentially zero interest in the vast majority of what they've produced. Ah well, can't win 'em all.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Violet wouldn't work as a movie as-is. Having read all of the shorts, it's too episodic to be contained in a film without being an editing nightmare and nearly as incoherent as Suicide Squad's story became. The stories are too different, though they each build up the main theme Akatsuki tells about Violet herself.

Now if you say "the final short in novel 1 would work as a movie," that's a different situation. It's a long, self-contained short that tells an interesting story with interesting characters and would fit in the timespan of a movie. My only issue with that is the ending is a bit of a cliffhanger to build anticipation for the second novel. It would likely have to have an epilogue or such added to it from the other material to fit.

I haven't read the novel, but it seems okay to me to make it an anthology of shorts of some sort, won't mind the disconnectedness or incoherence, or cliffhanger.
Though my main reason I wish it'll be in a movie format is because it seems to deserve a 'movie quality' detailed animation (wouldn't want to get overexpected and thus disappointed if it turns out to be a series with an okay animation quality -- even though KyoAni set a high standard, the thing is, after being teased with 'that trailer' you just can't....).
If they can pull it off in a series format then it would be great.
Merengues.Pop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:
Kyoto Animation and ufotable are the only animation studios that can consistently deliver high-quality animation at will. More anime studios should follow their company management style.

ufotable? That despite the delays of the God Eater anime and some of pretty poor drawings in later episodes of Unlimited Blade Works?

God Eater and now Zestiria the X show that indeed Ufotable has troubles when the schedules are way too tight, and they tend to produce useless episodes for some reason... On the other hand, the production of Fate/Zero and the Kara no Kyoukai films show what they can do when they take their time to polish everything.

In any case, I much prefer KyoAni with their more traditional approach than the CGI fest that Ufotable produces, not that there's anything bad with it, just matter of preferences.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't KyoAni actually own most of what they produce? They also constantly cash in very good profits, how comes other studios do not replicate the formula?
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
Merengues.Pop wrote:

In any case, I much prefer KyoAni with their more traditional approach than the CGI fest that Ufotable produces, not that there's anything bad with it, just matter of preferences.

KyoAni actually uses a lot of CG as well, probably as much as ufotable, just in different areas, and for a different kind of aesthetic, so I don't know if that's really a fair critique.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Recently seeing Tamako Love Story confirmed my view that this studio produces the most effective character animation of any company.

Watch Kyoukai no Kanata Mirai-Hen. Hands down some of the best character animation work by KyoAni.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
I see alot comparing and arguing Ufotable vs Kyotoanimation. that's really stupid. kyoto animation is clearly the better studio in terms of animation. anyone who believes otherwise really needs to look at ufotable animation without any of its effects and see how stiff it is. ufotable has such top class looking shows because of its digital team which is responsible for all the effects and cgi (including the 2d effects which no are not drawn by the animator for their shows). if it wasn't for their digital team none of us would be arguing about this.

so let's have a look here. -
a studio with an incredible animation team, incredible production team and an incredible digital team AND a great pr team vs a studio which has a horrible animation so much that for key moments in UBW only 3 people were able to do them. 1 of which were freelance. a pretty horrible production team(dem delays and shortcuts tho). a great pr team and a great digital team.

I honestly see no competition in the slightest outside of Ufotable giving staff the opportunity to spend time with fans of the shows they work on most of the time.
quaton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tsuruoka-san and the Sound Director said to me

Tsuruoka IS the sound director (he has worked on all Kyoto Animation works in that role iirc). They are the same person and not 2 different ones, fix this.

Kougeru wrote:
I've found every one of them to be very enjoyable (didn't bother with Free...not my style)

Understandably Free! is not everyone's cup of tea due to various reasons.
However I'd strongly recommend the High speed! movie which has a similar setting but a much better execution as well as water presentation (it's easily Kyoani's strongest showcase project for animated liquid). Plus it's a self-contained story in just under 2 hours where no prior knowledge of Free! is required. Also it's by the same director as Full metal Panic!, Hyouka and Amagi brilliant Park.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Violet wouldn't work as a movie as-is. Having read all of the shorts, it's too episodic to be contained in a film without being an editing nightmare and nearly as incoherent as Suicide Squad's story became.

Somehow I'm reminded of how Production I.G decided to make the Miss Hokusai anime a movie, even though it clearly didn't work at all as one. For the same reasons.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
quaton wrote:
Tsuruoka IS the sound director (he has worked on all Kyoto Animation works in that role iirc).

He was not the sound director for the first Munto OVA episode. But I do think that's the only exception.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
I see alot comparing and arguing Ufotable vs Kyotoanimation. that's really stupid. kyoto animation is clearly the better studio in terms of animation. anyone who believes otherwise really needs to look at ufotable animation without any of its effects and see how stiff it is. ufotable has such top class looking shows because of its digital team which is responsible for all the effects and cgi (including the 2d effects which no are not drawn by the animator for their shows). if it wasn't for their digital team none of us would be arguing about this.

I'm pretty sure Nozomu Abe does his own 2D special effects.
Anyway, I don't really see what is wrong with Ufotable leaning heavily on digital effects. Just like other studios have their strengths, CG effects is one of Ufotables.
I prefer KyoAni personally, as well, but, like mentioned before, KyoAni also uses a ton of CG. They just have great character animation as well.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Kyoto Animation and ufotable are the only animation studios that can consistently deliver high-quality animation at will. More anime studios should follow their company management style.
Ufotable has average animation, it only looks good because of all the special effects and CG overlays.

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
@Kougeru KyoAni tends to have great scheduling compared to other studios, hence the animation quality. Budget is important, but shows like Gundam SEED Destiny and Attack on Titan are amongst the most expensive pure anime, yet they have atrocious animation. Even parts of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex are horribly animated. That's why most KyoAni shows look and move good.
Because budgets in Anime are not evenly spread out, that's you have scenes of people standing around talking, with barely any movement, and then a fluid fight scene, it's Anime 101.
EngDabiza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:42 am Reply with quote
Merengues.Pop wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't KyoAni actually own most of what they produce? They also constantly cash in very good profits, how comes other studios do not replicate the formula?

They own most of the stuff but not all, Koe no Katacha, Amagai and Hibike arent their own but they own other stuff, I don't think it is easy to replicate their formula since it will have a lot of risks if one series fail and while KyoAni is good financially they aren't exactly that great for the period of 2007-2011 they didn't make it to thelist of top profitable studio and even now they sometimes get beaten by A-1 which have the exact opposite formula as them.

DontmesswithKarma wrote:

so let's have a look here. -
a studio with an incredible animation team, incredible production team and an incredible digital team AND a great pr team vs a studio which has a horrible animation so much that for key moments in UBW only 3 people were able to do them. 1 of which were freelance. a pretty horrible production team(dem delays and shortcuts tho). a great pr team and a great digital team.

I honestly see no competition in the slightest outside of Ufotable giving staff the opportunity to spend time with fans of the shows they work on most of the time.

I don't want to change the topic to Ufo vs Kyoani but not getting what you mean if they have a team responsible for making their shows look great then"if it wasn't for their digital team none of us would be arguing about this." is completely unnecessary, they both have different priorities and style and liking anyone of them is fine and Ufotable also have a great management when Bamco isn't involved so ignoring God Eater which affected the last bit of UBW they are fine especially how young their staff is compared to KyoAni. I am expecting great stuff from HF since it AniplexXTM and they work great together and hope i am not disappointed. and no it wasn't just 3 people in UBW a lot of scenes are uncredited and we don't know who did it.
RainbowBuffaloCornman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Man. KyoAni is easily my #1 studio ever. People give them crap about some of their works (Kyoukai no Kanata for example) but I've found every one of them to be very enjoyable (didn't bother with Free...not my style) to some degree. Their art is the best. You can always see the hard work and care they put into their art.

As for future works, I really hope they're doing the final season for Full Metal Panic. Their schedule is mostly empty (Violet not having a date yet), so I'm praying the event in October will announce KyoAni as the studio >.> It would be amazing for them to go back to a franchise from a decade ago, but it wouldn't be too surprising to me since they did work with Shoji Gatoh on Amagi a few years ago. Praying hard because their works on FMP were absolutely the best.

While a lot of their works aren't my thing except FMP and Amagi, I respect and admire their working environment. They treat employees like human beings, make everything in-house and with love, and are bosses at character animation and stunning visuals. As a dude studying film directing and screenwriting along with storyboard art, I would like to work with these men and women on a movie after I established myself by making short to feature length indie films, move to L.A., do internships with Warner Bros and Annapurna Pictures, study more on film along with hustling, put my name out for the public. When I am offered the chance to direct my first legit wide release film, I wanna find a way to get in touch with KyoAni and pray to god that they wanna work with me. Learning Japanese is a must of course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2