• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Gasero wrote:

I understand this juxtaposition, but it was still Vegeta against the power of a god, and the outcome doesn't make sense.

Vegeta trained with Whis and Beerus. I don’t see with a bit of a push it is so outside the realm of abilities that he could have beat Toppo. Unless you think it is impossible for anyone to have beaten Toppo.

Toppo trained with Belmond, who also trained Jiren! Jiren, the opponent who Vegeta (and Goku, also trained by Beerus) has barely been able to harm for the entire tournament.

Your calculations still seem off.

So Belmond trained Toppo and Jiren. That still doesn’t mean Toppo was stronger than Jiren. It’s not about calculations but logic.

I don’t see how it is outside the realms of possibility that Vegeta could beat Toppo especially when he put everything into the fight. Vegeta and Goku couldn’t beat Jiren what does that have to do with Vegeta being able to beat Toppo?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
I think the main issue is that Toppo, after unleashing his God of Destruction powers has been wiping the floor with everyone he has been going up against, 17 and frieza can't even touch him, and Vegeta's finisher move, Final Flash, was pretty much brushed aside by Toppo, showing how much difference there is between the two. The fact that Vegeta is suddenly able to close that obvious power gap simply through willpower (no new form, no external power up) makes it come off as bad writing.

I can understand that if two fighters are somewhat close in power, and the slightly weaker one managed to surpass the other through sheer willpower (good example of this would by in one piece with luffy beating lucci, they were both torn up by the end of the fight, luffy somewhat worse so, but he pulled off a last minute finisher move due to his determination). But when you have two with a major power gap between them, it shouldn't be that easy.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote

So Belmond trained Toppo and Jiren. That still doesn’t mean Toppo was stronger than Jiren. It’s not about calculations but logic.

I don’t see how it is outside the realms of possibility that Vegeta could beat Toppo especially when he put everything into the fight. Vegeta and Goku couldn’t beat Jiren what does that have to do with Vegeta being able to beat Toppo?

Bringing logic into this battle at this point would be an exercise in futility.

Logically, Vegeta would still be physically exhausted from his battle with Jiren and barely able to muster enough power to fight another opponent. What actually happened is that Vegeta was able to recharge his energy to an amount powerful enough to defeat Toppo, an energized opponent who was one of the strongest in the tournament and who had the strongest power in the universes. And this was AFTER in the same battle, Vegeta used one of his strongest techniques and it didn't even scratch Toppo.

As #844391 just explained, the difference in power is inconsistent. We should be able to compare Goku, Vegeta, Jiren, and Toppo and make predictions about their relative strengths, but we can't because the show doesn't follow its own logic. It's bad writing.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I think the main issue is that Toppo, after unleashing his God of Destruction powers has been wiping the floor with everyone he has been going up against, 17 and frieza can't even touch him, and Vegeta's finisher move, Final Flash, was pretty much brushed aside by Toppo, showing how much difference there is between the two. The fact that Vegeta is suddenly able to close that obvious power gap simply through willpower (no new form, no external power up) makes it come off as bad writing.

I can understand that if two fighters are somewhat close in power, and the slightly weaker one managed to surpass the other through sheer willpower (good example of this would by in one piece with luffy beating lucci, they were both torn up by the end of the fight, luffy somewhat worse so, but he pulled off a last minute finisher move due to his determination). But when you have two with a major power gap between them, it shouldn't be that easy.

Vegeta did use the Final Explosion against Toppo which is definitely more powerful than the Final Flash.

And also watching the episode I didn’t get that Toppo was soooo ridiculously much stronger than Vegeta. Definitely not in the realms of Beerus vs Vegeta in BOG or Jiren vs Vegeta & Goku. And I think Vegeta is more powerful than 17 & Freeza at this point.

Toppo was definitely stronger than Vegeta but yeah I do think a bit of determination Vegeta could beat Toppo. I mean Toppo got a major power up because he threw away justice and Vegeta was able to beat him because he held onto who he was. Yeah I get that Toppo was training to be a god of destruction okay so what. He still suddenly got a large power boost for throwing away his ideals. But Vegeta being able to beat him through his own determination is too much? In the end it came down to a clash of ideals/philosophies. They both got power boosts from the same source.

People act like Vegeta jumped from 1 to 1000. He has also been training with Gods.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Toppo the man who threw away his Pride and Justice which he believed in for the power to ensure his universe would survive vs Vegeta, the Prince of All Saiyans who threw away nothing. For his family, his promise to Cabba, and his own Saiyan Pride, he will face down a newborn God of Destruction.

To my mind, This was a great episode. Also, Vegeta's entire character arc starting from Z now seems pointing towards this one glorious moment. (Even if wasn't planned out at all as is the case with most by Toriyama.)

And also watching the episode I didn’t get that Toppo was soooo ridiculously much stronger than Vegeta. Definitely not in the realms of Beerus vs Vegeta in BOG or Jiren vs Vegeta & Goku. And I think Vegeta is more powerful than 17 & Freeza at this point.

Toppo was definitely stronger than Vegeta but yeah I do think a bit of determination Vegeta could beat Toppo. I mean Toppo got a major power up because he threw away justice and Vegeta was able to beat him because he held onto who he was. Yeah I get that Toppo was training to be a god of destruction okay so what. He still suddenly got a large power boost for throwing away his ideals. But Vegeta being able to beat him through his own determination is too much? In the end it came down to a clash of ideals/philosophies. They both got power boosts from the same source.

People act like Vegeta jumped from 1 to 1000. He has also been training with Gods.

Well said. It seems to me that basically everything Toppo done under Belmond to become a junior God of Destruction is most likely the same sort of training that Vegeta (and Goku) been doing earlier in the series under Whis, only he mastered a level or two further than them. The power gap then shouldn't be that hard to bridge through sheer determination. Meanwhile with Jiren, we still have no idea what his powers really are, so we can't compare other than he's just much stronger than everyone else.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the clash of ideals in this episode.

Vegeta's set up for this arc was related to his family, so it's about time that motivation actually became relevant.

Equally, Toppo's setup for this arc started in the moment where Kahseral told him about how a hero shouldn't be intimidating. Toppo wasn't strong enough to actually keep his strength *along* with his ideals, but became a brute. It's cool because Toppo's a good guy and doing it for survival.

This theme of sacrifice was there with several of the fighters in the ToP so far, like the U6 Namekians and Gohan when going against Obuni, but they stayed true to themselves despite those sacrifices. I think that's the point and I like it.
KAIZOKU MUGIWARA NO LUFFY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
JIREN NEXT TIME GONNA OBLITERATE EVERY SINGLE ONE BECOUSE HE'S JIREN THE GRAY!!!!!!!!!! ALSO HYPE FOR THE UPCOMING DLC FOR XV2 GONNA BE HYPE
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
All the Universe 7 team needs to do to win is stay in bounds. They don't even need to defeat Jiren. As long as they have the highest number of fighters left when the time runs out, they win.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Another thing that I love about this episode is that it was meant to be the opposite of Final Atonement to me. . A lot of people seem to think that Vegeta was trying to sacrifice himself again and just got lucky & survived.

Personally I didn’t get that at all. I think Vegeta had no intention of giving up his life and believed he would survive the attack but it would be strong enough to beat Toppo.

The evidence is in Final Atonement before Vegeta sacrifices himself he says Goodbye to his family & Goku. There are no such Final words here.

In the episode Vegeta does think of his family again along with his pride & promise to Cabba. These are his motivations to fight on. But I also see them as his motivations to survive. Hence to me that is the difference between the two episodes. Final Atonement Vegeta sacrifices himself for his family. Whereas in this episode his family is his motivation to live. Toppo has given up on everything to survive and hence can’t beat Vegeta who has a reason to live beyond just surviving.

The promise to Cabba is actually the main evidence because why would Vegeta think of that if he intended to give up his life? He couldn’t wish U6 back if he died or even lost to Toppo.

As I mentioned earlier Vegeta dying or even losing would have missed the whole point of the themes of the episode.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the themes of these plot arcs are enjoyable, but the inconsistency in power levels is really bothering me. The writers are depicting these themes using terrible pacing and progression throughout the tournament.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Gasero wrote:

I understand this juxtaposition, but it was still Vegeta against the power of a god, and the outcome doesn't make sense.

Vegeta trained with Whis and Beerus. I don’t see with a bit of a push it is so outside the realm of abilities that he could have beat Toppo. Unless you think it is impossible for anyone to have beaten Toppo.

Toppo trained with Belmond, who also trained Jiren! Jiren, the opponent who Vegeta (and Goku, also trained by Beerus) has barely been able to harm for the entire tournament.

Your calculations still seem off.

I don't think it's ever been stated in either the manga or anime that Jiren was trained by Belmond. All that's been stated was how Jiren has reached or even surpassed the power of a God of Destruction, being stronger than even his own GoD Belmond.

Also, having the same trainer doesn't mean two characters can't still have a significant gap in power. See the difference between characters like Krillin and Goku, or Chiaotzu and Tien.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
I don't think it's ever been stated in either the manga or anime that Jiren was trained by Belmond. All that's been stated was how Jiren has reached or even surpassed the power of a God of Destruction, being stronger than even his own GoD Belmond.

Also, having the same trainer doesn't mean two characters can't still have a significant gap in power. See the difference between characters like Krillin and Goku, or Chiaotzu and Tien.

I think that the gaps in power are mostly the result of inconsistent writing. In Universe 7, Saiyans are believed to be the strongest and no other race would surpass them. However, in Dragonball Super, Frieza matched Super Saiyan Blue Goku in strength.

If DB Super focused more on strategy then it did on power levels, characters like Krillin and Tien would have still been relevant.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Marimo0 wrote:

I think that the gaps in power are mostly the result of inconsistent writing. In Universe 7, Saiyans are believed to be the strongest and no other race would surpass them. However, in Dragonball Super, Frieza matched Super Saiyan Blue Goku in strength.

If DB Super focused more on strategy then it did on power levels, characters like Krillin and Tien would have still been relevant.

Even before Toriyama came up with all the alien stuff and Goku was just a boy with a tail, the difference between Goku and Krillin was still there. Their match in the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai highlights how Goku was much stronger and faster.

And Saiyans weren't the strongest race, they just strove to be the strongest. Plus the reason Frieza and to a lesser extent King Cold were so powerful is because they're mutants of their race, according to Toriyama.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
Ep 127,

I don't even know why they bother having a time limit in this tournament, last episode there were what, 4 minutes left? and at the end of this episode there are 3 minutes left. Not only does Jiren stop to tell everyone how they are no match for him every few minutes in between fight rounds, the fricken god of destruction takes time out to tell Jiren's backstory. I honestly would have laughed out loud if the timer had counted down in the middle of his story and Universe 7 had won due to numbers, seriously, it would have been a perfect end to the fight. Furthermore, Jiren's whole backstory is seriously underwhelming, his family and friends died so he decided to get stronger and strength is justice and...that's pretty much it.

Oh, and "Jiren's weak point" is to hit him with a powerful attack when he's unguarded...NO SHIT?! That's like saying the way to kill him is to cut off his head, rip out his heart and burn his remains.

That said, I did enjoy the opening fight up until all the talking started, one of the best ones so far, as well as 17's exit, although I'm assuming they'll just dragonball him back later.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:07 am Reply with quote
RIP 17 the true MVP of the entire tournament...until they resurrect him later

Seriously Jiren is basically Goku. No matter how powerful he is he can still get hurt if he's attacked while his guard is down. And I've seen more painful backstories than Jiren's than I care to remember
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 40