• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Unveils 1st Full 2-Minute Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jirg1901

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Trying to be faithful by remaking visual sequences from specific versions of the franchise in live action and completely ignoring the consistent story setting and characters that that actually matter isn't a useful way of trying to be faithful.

A story where the Major being a cyborg makes her super special and unusual is not Ghost in the Shell at all.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Good intentions don't mean anything if the end product is bad. Plenty of directors have said that before and the product ends up being nothing like the source material. It's just marketing. At the end of the day live action adaptions are only for people who refused to watch the anime/cartoon or read the comics/manga because "that's for kids/nerds". Hollywood movies by default do not care about the fans, they care about the casual movie-goer who probably won't even know it's an adaption in the first place.

Ajc228 wrote:
For all the people who are complaining about whitewashing, a movie of this budget would never have been made without an A-list Hollywood actress headlining it. Unfortunately, this is just a fact. Ghost in the Shell does not have the deep cultural penetration of a franchise like Star Wars to cast whoever they want and still turn a profit based on brand recognition alone.

Star Wars is an original movie, not an adaption. Despite the fact it's just a rehash of A New Hope, Ray is not Luke so it's not like they turned Luke into a girl for a remake or anything. Maybe if this movie didn't star Motoko Kusanagi and Section 9 and instead starred an original character in some secret American branch of security it would be compable. If this was just about another group of people in the same universe it would probably get a lot less hate.

I can see that there is a difference between adaptation and something that is original. The fact that it's an adaptation as opposed to a an original movie is not relevant to my point. I am talking about Ghost in the Shell as a franchise not the nuances of adaptation vs. original material. It's not a perfect one-to-one example but if you look at the context of my comment, I was talking about it as a property. In a perfect world, it would be a primarily Japanese cast. No argument there. I am not trying to downplay the whitewashing. I am simply asking people to look at the production of a movie of this cost objectively.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Eh, still a wait and see for me. I hope they didn't take out the tanks.[/u]

I really don't expect any Tachikomas/other spider models in the movie. I get the sense they'll be seen as a little too silly for this.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Tr1ckR wrote:
PercivaI wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXGPERcDvio btw this the Opening theme for the movie

better yet here is the actual video of the opening for the movie, gave me chills Very Happy
https://twitter.com/mikediva/status/797745735148007424

Man, Rupert Sanders just LOVES putting his female characters into creepy milk bath scenes, doesn't he?

Frankly, he's my main concern about the movie. I wouldn't worry about the rest of the crew; one of the writers wrote Straight Outta Compton, while one of the producers essentially created the modern superhero flick. But Sanders' only credit is my guilty pleasure movie Snow White and the Huntsman. Yeah....
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Eh, still a wait and see for me. I hope they didn't take out the tanks.[/u]

I really don't expect any Tachikomas/other spider models in the movie. I get the sense they'll be seen as a little too silly for this.

Actually I meant the big battle in the first movie. That scene was iconic, and it wouldn't make any sense to get rid of it.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
The use or adaptation of Kawai's soundtrack would certainly be some consolation. Has it been confirmed that he will be involved?

He did a live performance of the theme at the event in Tokyo, but there's no word yet whether he's involved beyond doing the theme, though.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
It looks, at the very least, worth giving a chance. All the elements needed are there, I just hope the execution isn't bungled. I'm cautiously optimistic, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:

Trying to be faithful by remaking visual sequences from specific versions of the franchise in live action and completely ignoring the consistent story setting and characters that that actually matter isn't a useful way of trying to be faithful.

A story where the Major being a cyborg makes her super special and unusual is not Ghost in the Shell at all.

There still isn't enough to prove that they're throwing the setting out the window. I think the trailer was just implying that Major is the first full cyborg with a cyberbrain, until the very end where Laughing Man seems to imply she isn't. There are clearly other cyborgs in the film; those creepy kimono ladies DID just open up golden flaps and crawl around like spiders.
russ869

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
I liked the Blood the Last Vampire live action, however it suffered from a somewhat small budget in comparison to a movie like Kenshin or this one.

I thought Blood the Last Vampire's live action movie had a lot of great camera footage but was ultimately ruined in editing and post-production (some incredibly bad CG).

Super excited to hear Kenji Kawai's new theme. Sounds like a remix of both the GITS and Innocence themes?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm at least vaguely optimistic now. It was fun playing spot-the-reference in those shots though. The killer geishas from the first episode of Stand-Alone Complex, the rising-up body-construction and fight-in-the-water scenes from the original movie, and the falling-out-of-window sequence from pretty much everything. I'm sure I missed a few in there too.
Yuki_Higure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Tr1ckR wrote:
PercivaI wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXGPERcDvio btw this the Opening theme for the movie

better yet here is the actual video of the opening for the movie, gave me chills Very Happy
https://twitter.com/mikediva/status/797745735148007424

Man, Rupert Sanders just LOVES putting his female characters into creepy milk bath scenes, doesn't he?

Frankly, he's my main concern about the movie. I wouldn't worry about the rest of the crew; one of the writers wrote Straight Outta Compton, while one of the producers essentially created the modern superhero flick. But Sanders' only credit is my guilty pleasure movie Snow White and the Huntsman. Yeah....

Familiar with Justin Lin? Before he did Star Trek Beyond and the insanity of Fast 5 (and onwards), he did...Tokyo Drift.

Directors, like everyone else, need time to grow into their craft. Give them ample opportunities, back them up with a stellar cast and crew, and they'll do their thing better and better. At least, that's the case with some folks.

Rupert Sanders is getting the same opportunities and environments as Justin Lin did, and Lin grew into an absolutely kickass director. So even with your apprehensions, it's not unwise to hope for the best. Good chance you might not be disappointed!
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
I liked the Blood the Last Vampire live action, however it suffered from a somewhat small budget in comparison to a movie like Kenshin or this one.

I thought Blood the Last Vampire's live action movie had a lot of great camera footage but was ultimately ruined in editing and post-production (some incredibly bad CG).

I agree, especially about the bad CG. However, I equated that to budget issues more so than anything else. It could've been the CG artist(s) who worked on it though. Maybe that is a film they can go back and redo? It might be possible if GitS Live-Action blows people away (which is likely considering the low bar individuals are setting for this film already).

With GitS, then eventually Battle Angel Alita, there might be an even stronger wave of interest in licensing anime properties for live action productions in the states (only if these films do well).

russ869 wrote:
Super excited to hear Kenji Kawai's new theme. Sounds like a remix of both the GITS and Innocence themes?

I don't remember Innocence very well. I do need to make it a point to rewatch it, however the copy I own on DVD had a really bad subtitle track on it with no dub track. I'm pretty sure it was a import copy (I bought it back in the day from a Gamestop when they were still selling DVDs).

I did like the song used in the trailer, and as a fan of Kenji Kawai's music from other projects, I'm definitely up to listening to more.
otagirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I liked the original animated movie.
"Whitewashing" drama aside. This looks promising. Lets just hope they stick close enough to the original story.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
won't even know it's an adaption in the first place.

.....Aside from the fact most movie adaptations have "Based off of a work by" or "adapted from" in their opening and closing credits?

Lord Oink wrote:
If this was just about another group of people in the same universe it would probably get a lot less hate.

It woudl still get hate for not being what the fans wanted it to be. It getting less hate is of no consequence as opposed to getting hate period.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
They captured the dark cyberpunk atmosphere pretty well from the looks of it. For me, it should be worth watching for that alone. From the Q&A Scarlett recently did, it sounds like the film is still at least trying to explore some of the themes from the original film. Regardless if the film is any good or not, it does sound like they're TRYING to make the best Hollywood representation of the manga/anime as possible. I think it may at least turn out like Speed Racer, where the Wachowskis were huge fans of the anime and the film looked great, even if the story was weak. With Dragonball Evolution, nobody behind-the-scenes really seemed to care about the project at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5