• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam Director Shinji Takamatsu Responds to NHK's Anime Industry Special

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
The problem is exactly the same as what happened when Japan tried to reduce disc prices: demand was not elastic. Streaming works great here because the amount we are willing to pay for discs is massively lower essentially forcing the higher quantity at lower prices route.

I think streaming demand is significantly more elastic world-wide. Especially if you factor in the 100+ million people subscribed to Chinese streaming services. Whether or not Japan thinks that utilizing that market is too risky or not is a different story, but personally, I don't believe the streaming market has the same problems as the disc market. Solely within Japan, yes, but world-wide, no way.
The reason the disc price reduction didn't work is because availability remained the same for most people, and all of the actual examples of those disc price drops I've seen are still far too expensive to really encourage blind buying. Of course this was also just a product of the time. Now, with the, in my opinion, incredibly elastic, streaming audience with an actual individual investment being essentially nothing for most, the ability to reach a much larger audience is greater than ever. It's never been easier to reach a niche audience than it is now. And that will make it easier to get the largest possible audience aware of your product, both increasing the revenue from streaming and potentially physical sales. What they need to do is still work on global availability.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
Takamatsu has a point. There are hardly any profitable anime because competition is a thing. Apparently, there are several titles with similar themes that may either be a few seasons apart or may have premiered at the same time. Just saying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3