• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
3DCG in Anime: An Introduction

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
Again, moon boys.

Video 1 (Youtube)
Video 2 (FUNi) (go to 1:17-4:25 and 20:24-~24:00).

It does look awkward with the 2D but that's because the 2D had like no budget. But those ~10 minutes of 3D are amazing.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

It's not awkward when you don't even notice that it's there. PA Works use 3D CG models for their house and room backgrounds A LOT and you wouldn't notice apart from the very rare random times when they do zooms or sweeps that are simply impossible to do practically by hand.

I guess that's true; it's harder to pick out successful uses of limited CG bc, ideally, you wouldn't even notice that it's there.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
I've seen all the series used as examples in this article but Bubuki Buranki is the only full cg show in recent memory that made me feel like I was getting a preview of the inevitable full cg future of anime. Especially season 2. Granted, it may be more composite with traditional 2D than I think but that's the point I'm making, it got hard to tell.

Agreed. I think they achieved a lot with the CG animation work on it.

I also feel that it was one of the first shows to start successfully pushing the boundaries on achieving some of traditional anime's great facial expression work as well, which as mentioned in the article has been a lacking area for many anime CG productions.

Philmister978 wrote:
And it's a fairly valid criticism, there's a lot of points in Ajin where it shows that they just fame-skipped the animation and other where they timed them out. And many other companies struggle with it too, like with Graphinica on Expelled From Paradise, Toei with KADO or GEMBA with Berserk. As the article says, it's because many of these companies (GEMBA in particular) lack any dedicated 2D animators in their employ whereas other companies, like Orange or Sanzigen work with 2D animators on a regular basis.

Yeah, Ajin's inconsistency made it especially noticeable at times. Fortunately the rest of the content, movement needs of the show (pretty restrained), and atmospheric CG work does cover for it since it's still a pretty great show.

I thought Graphinica's work on Expelled From Paradise was quite good overall. I wouldn't lump it in with the likes of Berserk at all. Which to me makes sense too since Graphinica started "life" as Gonzo's original CG division so not only have they been doing this stuff for a long time I wouldn't be surprised if they actually do still have some 2D animation staff.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

It's not awkward when you don't even notice that it's there. PA Works use 3D CG models for their house and room backgrounds A LOT and you wouldn't notice apart from the very rare random times when they do zooms or sweeps that are simply impossible to do practically by hand.

I guess that's true; it's harder to pick out successful uses of limited CG bc, ideally, you wouldn't even notice that it's there.
Games by Arc System Works come to mind. For some reason, I find it looks weirder. Maybe it's because they hide it too well.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I feel the main issue is when 3DCG tries to be used for something it wasn't meant to do. Also the skills involved in animating in 3DCG are more related to digital puppetry rather than what we commonly knew as hand drawn animation. Both are respectable crafts, but I think embracing the slight differences will work towards a better future. As has been stated previously, many halfway productions are trying to not seem 3D at all and sacrificing 3D's benefits in order to vainly retain the 2D feel. I quite enjoyed Sidonia.

Also you can tell that the puppetry aspect is more true when you see how many complex machines end up working well in 3D
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I find Knight's and Magic CG to be surprisingly good by mecha anime standards. You could argue that it's a case where the 3D tries to emulate 2D, but even if I would argue the mechs would look better in 2D, their 3Dness captures how awe-inspiring they can be despite being weathered by the elements. It's more obvious that giant demon beasts like the behemoth are the bane of humanity while the Silhouette Knights are the heroes of humanity. If the mechs and large demon beasts were 2D, the mortality of the mechs and giant beasts would be more emphasized.
Desa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:15 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
If the mechs and large demon beasts were 2D, the mortality of the mechs and giant beasts would be more emphasized.

If the mechs were 2D you just wouldn't see the same degree of movement in relation to the environment. The "camera" would almost never show dynamic perspective changes because with 2D this produces results that are often off-model and often with greatly reduced detail, not to mention they will be extremely stingy with such scenes given the inordinate amount of time it would take to do even a few seconds of this purely by hand without a 3D skeleton underneath.

Creatures are also better suited towards 3D. Given how huge and detailed the Behemoth was it really felt like it had "presence" and "weight". With 2D, texture detail and accuracy would suffer immensely whenever there is motion. With a slow-moving Behemoth coupled with the darkness of a night battle any fine detail would be smeared into oblivion. You can forget about dust and dirt being retained on the mechs when they're moving about and all the scenes with the mech jumping all over the Behemoth's back and under its belly would probably be way less dynamic under 2D constraints.

And then there are the magic runes. Show me someone who'll animate hundreds of magic runes by hand and I'll show you a fool.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:20 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Uh, my main problem with CG anime is framerate, Polygon, for example, doesn't even try to hide how unnatural movements in their productions are. To be fair, Polygon's work in Prime was competent, so, I have no clue why their Japanese output has a lower quality of animation.

This is the biggest issue with fully CG shows. Dropping the frame rate and making everything look super matte is completely unnecessary if they're not incorporating 2D animation. It makes zero sense and always leads to an ugly end product.

Here's what I don't get--plenty of Japanese video game developers are able to create good looking, anime-style cutscenes in 3D, and they do it without dropping frame rates. People have accepted this style for years. Why can't CG anime look more like a Tales of game instead of a frame-dropped mess?
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
MajorZero wrote:
Uh, my main problem with CG anime is framerate, Polygon, for example, doesn't even try to hide how unnatural movements in their productions are. To be fair, Polygon's work in Prime was competent, so, I have no clue why their Japanese output has a lower quality of animation.

This is the biggest issue with fully CG shows. Dropping the frame rate and making everything look super matte is completely unnecessary if they're not incorporating 2D animation. It makes zero sense and always leads to an ugly end product.

Here's what I don't get--plenty of Japanese video game developers are able to create good looking, anime-style cutscenes in 3D, and they do it without dropping frame rates. People have accepted this style for years. Why can't CG anime look more like a Tales of game instead of a frame-dropped mess?

I think a large part of that has to do with the time scale they have to work with.

See, with shows like Knights & Magic (or really, anything companies like Orange or Graphinica tackle), half the work, the 2D animation, is not really their problem, so they just focus on the thing they're good at. Of course, that isn't always the case (as companies like Asahi Pro have proven, tackling CG and additional duties on shows like Bakuon or Tribe Cool Crew), but it's usually what happens.

However, once you get to shows like Berserk or Ajin, the workload increases ten-fold and is mostly, if not entirely CGI. And as a result, you have to juggle all aspects of animation within roughly the same time period as a 2D/3D hybrid show. Though Polygon Pictures has a cravat in that they also outsource part of the animation out to Malaysia, which likely isn't all that familiar with the idea of timing CGI to be like 2D.

At least, that's how I see it.
Peebs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
I've seen all the series used as examples in this article but Bubuki Buranki is the only full cg show in recent memory that made me feel like I was getting a preview of the inevitable full cg future of anime. Especially season 2. Granted, it may be more composite with traditional 2D than I think but that's the point I'm making, it got hard to tell.

Yes! Finally BBK gets mentioned. When I started watching this show, it took me other people mentioning that it was 3DCG and looking really close to realize that's what it was. The story wasn't the best, but the art kept me engaged enough that I watched it's not-so-great 2nd season. Sometimes while watching both seasons of Berserk, BBK would pop in my head and I'd wish it hadn't come down to such awful animation.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I never seen any of the anime Polygon Pictures made so I can't say anything about it other than hearing about the low frame rate. Although I did love their work on Transformers Prime and the overall look of that series. (Can't say the same about RID15.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2