• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hero TV, TAG Philippine Channels to Cease Broadcast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Never watched TAG much, but I'll miss Hero TV.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:47 am Reply with quote
Nani????!! Ohhhh that sucks, no more anime here on Philippines.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:01 am Reply with quote
#alfrescoCR wrote:
Nani????!! Ohhhh that sucks, no more anime here on Philippines.

But there are Animax & Aniplus Asia. Probably the reason why HERO TV will cease its broadcast because Sky Cable had acquired Aniplus last year and/or due to the cost of licensing on anime series from Japan is too expensive lately, so probably that all-Filipino anime channel decide to halt effective by the end of this month, but hopefully his sister channel, Yey! which are available both on Sky Cable & ABS-CBN TV Plus digibox access should air some of the anime series on that channel & broadcast it by 24/7 starting next month when HERO TV will finally went off the air. So hopefully there should be a miracle on it, so cross our fingers. Wink
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
I hope Philiphines wouldn't be suffer as Indonesian fans. Back then, we have more than 50 anime per week on TV. Now you can count it with just two hands.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
FukuchiChiisaia wrote:
I hope Philiphines wouldn't be suffer as Indonesian fans. Back then, we have more than 50 anime per week on TV. Now you can count it with just two hands.

This has already happened actually. Hero and Animax are both pay TV channels, so only those with cable can watch those. For some time now, only a handful of anime (~15 shows per season?) has been airing on free TV. Local soaps and variety shows, as well as K-drama are more in demand these days.

On the bright side, this is probably part of Philippines' (late?) move towards digital TV. Hero TV is the cable counterpart of the digital TV freemium channel Yey!, which offers pretty much the same kind of programs. More people are bound to have access to digiboxes in the coming days, and Hero TV is one of those channels that is bound to become redundant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1