• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tsurune

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
meiam wrote:
Even the writing is lazy, with the professor just randomly bumping into a bunch of veteran archer just like that.

He clearly had been specifically looking for them. He knew who they were, by name, and later we can see he'd done enough homework on Minato to know he was considered a prodigy. He didn't just randomly grab three kids who turned out to know archery from arch supports.

Yeah that's not really what happened, he asked the first guy, sure maybe he knew that this guy practiced archery before, but then it just so happened that his two friend that he hasn't seen since forever also practiced.

No, that's exactly what happened. He knew Ryohei from school, but then he IDed both Minato and Seiya without being introduced, so unless he's psychic, he must've looked up students' records beforehand to see who might have a prior interest in the sport that he could recruit. It was likely a coincidence that he found them all together, but then again, maybe he was shadowing Ryohei to see if he sought out these particular old classmates before suddenly appearing as soon as they met up. He strikes me as a sneaky enough old guy to do just that.

And how is it a coincidence that people who practice the same sport are friends? oO

I'm also not sure why you think this sport is so obscure in Japan. They had a far better turnout for the info meeting than Iwatobi's swim club did, and you don't think swimming is obscure. How many high schools do you know in your own country that have a kendo club? But you wouldn't think that's obscure or little practiced in Japan.

"But it is also practiced as a competitive sport; there are clubs both in and out of schools, and as with other martial arts, there are examinations for rising through successive dan, or ranks." https://www.nippon.com/en/features/jg00090/

"Many Japanese high schools have kyudo clubs, so it’s not uncommon to see school students carrying around the giant bows used in kyudo." http://www.unmissablejapan.com/etcetera/kyudo
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
^Not to mention that if a student is particularly gifted at their club/sport of choice and attend national competitions -which a prodigy like Minato most likely did- he'll be well known within the community -high schools may often watch junior high competitions to scout the most notable athletes-. If the teacher is a kyudo enthusiast -and we can assume he is, since he's well-acquainted with the rules of the sport- it's perfectly reasonable that he would know that a handful of promising kyudo practitioners had enrolled in school. You see it often in sports anime, "Aren't you the famous X from Y school?". In fact, I'd even speculate he didn't actually get any task from the director, but rather saw that a group of experienced kyudo practitioners had enrolled and thought it would be his chance to revive the club.

meiam wrote:
reviving the archery club, an hard task considering it's a little practiced sports that require specialized equipment and club room which wouldn't be available at any school.

I don't know why this is a point of contention, given that the school clearly has the equipment and the dojo required?
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:47 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Rather than crafting a world where it's believable that multiple people would all join the archery club the writer just said "I can't be bothered with that" and just snapped his finger and made a bunch of character that all already knew how to be archer (to play archery? to practice archery? Not quite sure what the proper term would be there).

I'm not arguing, just helping to clarify.

I think what you meant to say was:
...made a bunch of characters that all already knew how to Shoot an arrow

However the more accurate phrasing would have been:
...made a bunch of characters that already have Kyūdō experience

Technical Info Dump.

The exercise is simply a form of Target Practice

The action involved is referred to as Shooting usually modified by the tool being used. For example: Bow Shooting, Pistol Shooting, Rifle Shooting, Air-Rifle Shooting, etc.
If the projectile is used it becomes, Shooting an arrow

Loading an arrow onto a bow is called Nocking

Archery is a basic term which covers most activities where a bow is used to shoot an arrow towards a target.

To "Practice Archery" is normally acceptable, but is kind of an incomplete answer. Its like saying Karate and Boxing are "Practice punching"

Kyūdō is a martial art and as it was briefly shown in the anime it covers a lot of things that happen before and after the actual act of shooting an arrow.
I could go into more detail, but its not necessary at this time and hopefully the series will cover them for me
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
One thing I've noticed about Kyoani works is that they're a very in-house studio that mostly adapt light novel titles whose copyright they already own and tend to stick to dramatic slice of life stories, as opposed to most anime studios that work on a commission basis, taking on a diverse array of anime genres and titles whose IPs belong to outside production committees.

Do you believe this to be a good or bad thing?

I've noticed the reviewer's rather bummed out on Tsurune because they were clearly wishing Kyoani would diversify its thematic ranges instead of restricting themselves to a specific genre. That said, Kyoani's strategy is clearly more business/brand-oriented; by sticking to that SOL-lush animation look they are constructing and maintaining a specific and very recognizable commercial style image of which they have a dedicated fanbase, and by handling their own IPs they're seizing control of their own artistic direction, rather than being at the whims of the external production committee who commissioned the anime to be made.
leongsh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
One thing I've noticed about Kyoani works is that they're a very in-house studio that mostly adapt light novel titles whose copyright they already own and tend to stick to dramatic slice of life stories, as opposed to most anime studios that work on a commission basis, taking on a diverse array of anime genres and titles whose IPs belong to outside production committees.

Do you believe this to be a good or bad thing?

Neither. You're coming from the angle of creativity. KyoAni is looking long term business survival. They are approaching it textbook-like - keep to your strengths, have greater control of your destiny, and don't overstretch your capabilities. Push at the boundaries where possible but don't overstretch it. Doing mainly properties that they have ownership of lets them have control to do what they want without production committees to stymy them. Thus far by going their own way after establishing themselves have made them into a very viable business now.

Expecting them to abandon that for viewers and critics gratification that are transient? That's just being short-sighted. As long as they produce anime and associated products that sell well, they will stick to their knitting, so to speak.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Even though this sports drama seemed firmly fixed in reality, I definitely got fooled by the kyudo hall instructor's words.

I legit teared up when Minato pleaded with Masaki not to disappear, and I was genuinely relieved when it turned out to all be a misunderstanding. Also, Minato being the perfect owl perch is just so darn cute!

Normally I’m not really into a lot of drama, but for some reason Tsurune manages to hit the right balance for me. Seiya being cruel didn’t really bother me, and it really only makes me want to know more about him. I can totally understand why it might not be working for some, but so far the show is A++ for me.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
For a moment there i was about to rage quit because Owl-kun is my main reason for watching...while the other characters are mildly interesting, i'm still waiting to really click with them.

But if nothing else, this show made me google 'target panic' and actually learn something new. I love it when anime is educational! Smile
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I am somewhat surprised that this season Tsurune is the only newcomer show whose review began immediately from the first episode. Is it a matter of great confidence in KyoAni or in high hopes for this title?
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
I am somewhat surprised that this season Tsurune is the only newcomer show whose review began immediately from the first episode. Is it a matter of great confidence in KyoAni or in high hopes for this title?

There was a delay in airing, so the first episode only came out two sundays ago.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
A ghost mentor would have been interesting but I'm glad Masa san is going to stay around. Minato's recovery is very well paced, no rush, no miracle cure. The rest of the cast feels weak at the moment, I'm not sure what Seiya was trying to do, so as the review says it doesn't have a lot of impact (especially because it doesn't influence Minato the way Masa or his dad did).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Seiya feels somehow responsible for Minato's situation, for reasons I expect we'll learn shortly. So I don't think his attacking Minato was just being a jerk, or tough love, but rather deflection so he could continue to avoid dealing with whatever it is he did to him. He wants him cured, now, so he doesn't ever have to outwardly take responsibility for whatever sins he's already admitted to himself. Or maybe he is just a jerk and I don't want to admit it. Smile

Somebody tell me who the archery advisor reminds me of. I feel like he parachuted in whole, character design and all, from another anime, but I can't put my finger on it. Anime dazed
Violet Park

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Seiya feels somehow responsible for Minato's situation, for reasons I expect we'll learn shortly. So I don't think his attacking Minato was just being a jerk, or tough love, but rather deflection so he could continue to avoid dealing with whatever it is he did to him. He wants him cured, now, so he doesn't ever have to outwardly take responsibility for whatever sins he's already admitted to himself.

Ok, that would make a lot of sense and make Seiya an interesting character. I guess seeing his guilt and then deflecting it made the situation very confusing.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Thank you! Lauren, you really nailed one of the few issues (I love the show nonetheless though Wink ) I have with Tsurune: it is playing wayyy too safe. To be fair, most good sports anime are pretty textbook when comes to plot structure (hanebad try to be innovative but we already know how that went) but each of them has an unique hook that identifies them from the peer. At the moment, the plot happens to be a big checklist, for now I can overlook it but I sincerely hope Tsurune can discover that hook besides the gorgeous animation

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
arzi5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't really think Tsurune is playing it too safe. Maybe for people who are looking for some surprising or a bit out of the box development in regard of story right off the bat, Tsurune can be a bit frustrating atm. But personally, I think the way story progresses so far is fine as it is considering that it is still episode 3 and I'm happy with how the studio handled the writing of the show so far. The staffs succeed in conveying what kind of show they wanted Tsurune to be and it's working really well for me
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:42 am Reply with quote
By episode 3, I hope those who think that the characters are copies of Free's can get over it. I was one of them as it has become inevitable after following Free for seasons, but then I think I've ruined my interpretation of say, the tallest guy, who I'd easily map with Nagisa. But then eps 3 show me that he's more than what I had limited my understanding as another version of Nagisa. There may be some resemblance but these are just the character tropes in many (reverse moe?) anime, saying so would make every character in anime of this genre to be copy of Free characters.

On eps 3, I think that what KyoAni did is not necessarily playing it safe. I feel like that this is the way they want to take with this title. I actually kinda like it that KyoAni doesn't seem to make every of their title to have overwhelming developments and take a rather modest, unpretentious approach. Much like target panic, where it is not easily perceived by outsiders, while it's taking its time to heal. Amd with checklist, which I admit it does represent it, it's the matter of whether one sees the checklist items or every details that lead the lists to be checked. I personally found some subtle details character-study-wise which I enjoyed observing when I'm not too focused on the checklist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6