• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shueisha Reveals New Circulation Numbers, Demographics for its Manga Magazines

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thaumana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The guide did not list the gender demographics for its Weekly Shonen Jump magazine, [...]

Meh. That's what I would like to see the most. I'm interested in target and demographic group analysis and especially looking for comparable numbers of female Shounen Jump readers over the last years.
Gooddogg195

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
[quote="tomdean"]What is interesting is that although the largest consumer group is clearly adults(25 yo or older), but the publishers still insist on treating the readers like kids.

If they didn't wanted to be threated like kids,they would be reading adult oriented manga magazines like Big comic/ big comic original or something like weekly morning(to be honest since 2011 weekly morning has become a cringe worthy magazine.but they still bette than most)boys jump is not meant to adults and not even shueisa himself knows why adults read them at first place.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
If adult really want to read an adult oriented manga and still part of Jump. They have something called Young Jump . The printed magazine come in Weekly, Monthly format, they also have digital only format, Tonari no Young Jump (no English yet). There's also Ultra Jump, also monthly.

Some of their well known offering: Elfen Lied, Gantz, Golden Kamuy, Kingdom, Terraformars, Tokyo Ghoul, Jojolion, One pUnch Man.

They also have light hearted comedy like Umaru or Kaguya.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
tomdean wrote:
In any other industry, the customers who are being ignored would have upped and left ages ago, they are lucky games/anime/manga fans are so loyal. But then it does feel like we're the cashcows being milked everyday...

How exactly are they being ignored? One Piece is the biggest series in Japan. Dragon Ball, My Hero Academia, and Naruto are also huge worldwide. They're clearly giving people what they want. Adults reading manga for kids isn't because they're begrudgingly forced to, secretly hating it. They read the series because they enjoy them.

R. Kasahara wrote:
That only really applies to movie adaptations. US superhero comics have skewed more towards adult readers for some time now, which is one reason why translated manga continues to eat its lunch in terms of sales. There are more Western comics these days for younger readers, but from what I can tell, the core superhero titles remain what they are.

I see this stated all the time, but it's just not true. Comics have always been aimed at kids. They say right on the cover with its age rating. 13 and up I believe. They've always censored swear words, they keep the violence fairly tamed, we never get any actual nudity. Superhero comics have never aimed exclusively as "adult readers", outside a few rare imprints like Max or random miniseries. The myth that comic books chased away kids for adults is simply untrue. You can flip through an issue of 90s Spider-Man and you'll find adverts for the NES, Capri Sun, and Oreo cookies.

American comics have numerous problems that keep the industry stagnant, but not being kid friendly isn't one of them. You'll find way more violence, nudity, and objectionable content in a WSJ series than you will in any mainline Marvel or DC book. It's part of the reason My Hero Academia is constantly under attack by the comic industry and reviewers.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:24 am Reply with quote
It was interesting to know that male magazines have a stronger audience in terms of age and a much larger circulation than women’s. So, I want to ask, is this somehow related to the more wide popularity of manga among boys than girls? Or is Japanese culture somehow stigmatizing adult women who are interested in manga?
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
It was interesting to know that male magazines have a stronger audience in terms of age and a much larger circulation than women’s. So, I want to ask, is this somehow related to the more wide popularity of manga among boys than girls? Or is Japanese culture somehow stigmatizing adult women who are interested in manga?

I think it was more of،"it's normal for female to read male magazine, while male reading female magazine is weird."

Jump has pretty high female readership on top of their male readers (I think around 30-40%). some manga even has more female reader than male (stuff like Haikyuu, KHR).
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
I think it was more of،"it's normal for female to read male magazine, while male reading female magazine is weird."

Jump has pretty high female readership on top of their male readers (I think around 30-40%). some manga even has more female reader than male (stuff like Haikyuu, KHR).

I believe it's just simply shoujo manga is generally unappealing to men rather than any kind of stigma. There's avid male fans of shows like Pretty Cure, but the concept of men reading shoujo manga for the girls is a lot more rare than women reading shounen manga for the guys. Shoujo manga has personally never appealed to me at all.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

Actually, females are the largest public who reads manga. I think manga readership overall is 55/45 female/male.

Thing is that "shounen" manga is equally popular among females while "seinen" manga actually is manga aimed at adults, not just males. At least that was what I read in Adult Manga: Culture and Power in Contemporary Japanese Society: "seinen manga" is just conceived as adult manga for both men and women and at manga's peak of popularity in the 1990s seinen manga sold about 750 million magazines per year. That is why seinen manga series deals with very ample topics.

The converse is not true: males do not often (but some do) read shoujo or josei magazines which have more niche appeal. Especially stuff in shoujo manga has more niche appeal while stuff like Assassination Classroom, My Hero Academia, Promised Neverland, HxH, Demon Slayer and other Jump Series appeals to very wide demographics, while the stuff in Ribbon mainly appeals to elementary school girls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
@Jose Cruz

Interesting information. Well, I have already heard something similar, but I personally always thought that the reason for this is that traditionally male manga is considered the “default manga” and the mainstream, while the manga for girls is considered a separate area, as is usually the it happens in patriarchal countries.

Of course, I don’t want to be like the guys who still complain about Jump Bishonen Syndrome and the growing popularity of shonen manga in girls, especially yaoi fangirls, but it was always interesting to watch how traditionally male magazines publish works with obvious shoujo elements, or with a clear eye on the female audience.

In any case, I personally like to watch shoujo anime or read shoujo manga, because I love dramatic romance and the normal representation of males in romance, unlike those self-insert guys that are often found in shonen and seinen. So, no matter how ironic it sounds, when I see unrealistic idealized bishonen, I somehow understand girls who complain about unrealistic girls in harems, lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2