• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monica Rial, Ronald Toye, Jamie Marchi Also File Motions to Dismiss Vic Mignogna's Lawsuit

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyranoGravely

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Once again, there's a reason why the nickname "R. Broly" is so apt.
Amibite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
SyranoGravely wrote:
She does, calling herself "the Matriarch". (Spoiler!) King Bradley, "the Fuhrer", is a genocidal villain definitely based partially by Hitler, so it's still a bad look for your dude.

I suppose if you wanted to be completely disingenuous it would be.

Crisha wrote:
If anything it continues to show that Vic had such a poor reputation that people would assume that the reason she doesn't want to be his assistant is because he kissed her or made her uncomfortable.

Just to be clear, you are aware you're going to bat for the man with a criminal record of lying to the police by filing false police reports in addition to his previous boss stating he's untrustworthy? It might be more effective to just cut him loose at this point and say his affidavit isn't important so it being thrown out is no big deal.

When I first read that I just assumed she stopped because it was a huge hassle since he's such a big name and big stars are a lot of work to manage. But I guess I was giving people too much benefit of the doubt that something so obvious wouldn't be spun to keep the narrative going. So I took the intuitive and asked her about this, and she confirmed it's because managing Vic is a huge job because of his popularity like dealing with the hordes of people crowding him and his panels all the time. Turns out she was a member of the Miniskirt Army back in the day and she was always more of a Travis fangirl. Fun times to reminiscent about.
Teraman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Just to be clear, you are aware you're going to bat for the man with a criminal record of lying to the police by filing false police reports

An arrest that doesn't end with a conviction is not a "criminal record". Get your facts straight.
SyranoGravely

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
SyranoGravely wrote:
She does, calling herself "the Matriarch". (Spoiler!) King Bradley, "the Fuhrer", is a genocidal villain definitely based partially by Hitler, so it's still a bad look for your dude.

I suppose if you wanted to be completely disingenuous it would be.

Welcome to the Vic Stan world, where nicknaming your sex cult leader after a genocidal maniac is somehow a positive.
gilgameshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
HaruTheWizard wrote:
gilgameshi wrote:
SyranoGravely wrote:
(a fanbase led by his mother that refers to Vic as "the Fuhrer"

i beg your pardon

It's an inside joke based on a Fullmetal Alchemist reference, a series where Vic voices the protagonist. I don't know if his mother runs the fanclub or not. .. I don't think she does?

If you dig online, you can find her Livejournal posts where she completely unironically calls Vic "the Fuhrer". She also mods the Risembool Rangers discord, where she calls herself the Matriarch and more or less grooms teenage girls to jump at Vic's command.

It's like those low-budget horror movies about small-town Christian cults, except this case is 100% horrifyingly real.

That's hella creepy.

Pretty plain why he's such a narcissist if that's how his mother treats him...
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
We've been through this before - the anime community did nothing of the sort. A small subset of the community, fans of Vic (with assistance from some less-than-savoury people not in the anime community at all) donated to the (lost) cause.

Look, I get what you're trying to say, but at the same time you and I both know if I said "the anime community came together to raise money for KyoAni after their fire" you wouldn't be nitpicking my post and telling me it was actually only the small part of the anime community that cares about KyoAni and some tagalongs who did that and not the anime community as a whole, so it's a bit of a bad faith argument at the same time.

Egan Loo wrote:
Are there others? If not, this is nine, as opposed to a dozen.

To be fair, I did say 'or so' I was thinking of Martial Arts and More, but yeah, it's not a convention if we're being stringent. But I still stand by my point that the narrative has reversed and both places and conventions are open to having him again. Maybe not all of them, especially not the ones run by people in bed with the parties involved in this litigation who clearly won't recant no matter what happens, but I'd still call it a success. I don't know how many cons the average anime English dub voice actor goes to a year, but 9 in the span of 5 months doesn't sound like a bad number.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
Look, I get what you're trying to say, but at the same time you and I both know if I said "the anime community came together to raise money for KyoAni after their fire" you wouldn't be nitpicking my post and telling me it was actually only the small part of the anime community that cares about KyoAni and some tagalongs who did that and not the anime community as a whole, so it's a bit of a bad faith argument at the same time.

Well no, he wouldn't. That would be because

"Donating money in order to repair physical and emotional damages left behind by a terrible fire that took the lives of thirty four innocent people."

is very different from

"Donating money because a prominent alt-right figurehead organized a GoFundMe in order to fund a lawsuit designed to restore the reputation of a man with a fifteen year-old history of sexual predatorship."

You don't need to be any specific ideology to help people who lost things in a fire.

You do need to be a very specific ideology in order to defend a man who has a nearly twenty year long history of convention bans, sexual harassment and staff abuse, as well as support a lawsuit that was organized by a Neo-Nazi and promoted by him via targeted harassment of women on Twitter.

On that note, having the gall to draw comparisons between Vic Mignogna's circumstances and the aftermath of the Kyoto Animation fire is probably the peak of bad taste that this thread is ever going to achieve.
gilgameshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:

On that note, having the gall to draw comparisons between Vic Mignogna's circumstances and the aftermath of the Kyoto Animation fire is probably the peak of bad taste that this thread is ever going to achieve.

Give it time. Someone will say Vic's situation is worse than KyoAni's.

Whether or not they mean the hole he dug himself into with the bad behavior, or the hole he dug himself into with this frivolous lawsuit, time will tell.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:57 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:

Egan Loo wrote:
Are there others? If not, this is nine, as opposed to a dozen.

To be fair, I did say 'or so' I was thinking of Martial Arts and More, but yeah, it's not a convention if we're being stringent. But I still stand by my point that the narrative has reversed and both places and conventions are open to having him again. Maybe not all of them, especially not the ones run by people in bed with the parties involved in this litigation who clearly won't recant no matter what happens, but I'd still call it a success. I don't know how many cons the average anime English dub voice actor goes to a year, but 9 in the span of 5 months doesn't sound like a bad number.

Setting aside innuendos about conventions, here is how many cons another anime English dub voice is going to since February:

Monica Rial:
March 9-10 SC Comicon
March 22-24 Zenkaikon
March 29-30 Planet Comicon Kansas City
April 19-21 Sakura-Con
April 27-28 Wales Comic Con
May 10-12 Comicpalooza
May 15-17 Motor City Comic Con
May 23-26 Momocon
June 1-2 Longview Comic Convention
June 7-9 PopCon Indy
June 14-16 Greater Austin Comic Con
July 5-7 RTX Austin Animation Festival
July 11-14 Metrocon
July 17-21 San Diego Comic-Con International
July 26-28 Ai-Kon
August 2-4 My Hero Convention
September 13-15 Rose City Comic Con
November 1-3 Rhode Island Comic Con

Just as telling is how many convention invitations either cast member has received for the rest of this year.
HaruTheWizard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
I don't like Nick. I think he's very immature for his age and profession.

I think neo nazi is a stretch too far though? I thought the guidelines for these forums were politeness.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
HaruTheWizard wrote:
I don't like Nick. I think he's very immature for his age and profession.

I think neo nazi is a stretch too far though? I thought the guidelines for these forums were politeness.

Go back through Nick Rekieta's guests and associations and you'll discover that 90% of the company he keeps is white supremacists, alt-right figureheads, ultra-conservatives and various other epithets that were invented because the actual term for their ideology looks pretty bad and awkward on their recruitment slogans. There's a reason why his supporters go into frenzy and start trying to literally shout you down with insults whenever the term "Nazism" is invoked. Because once you scrub of all the alternate terms for the movement, that's pretty much exactly what it freaking is.

I mean, Rekieta is good friends with Doug TenNapel of all people. TenNapel is the Orson Scott Card of the comic book industry, he's banned from most comic book conventions in the US because of his tendency to hijack panels so he can yell racist and misogynist slogans into the microphone. You have to float pretty deep inside the alt-right barrel in order to keep company like that.

That said, trying to focus the entirety of response to my post on that particular term is nothing more than an attempt to deflect from the post's actual point - that Rekieta advertised his GoFundMe toward people with a very particular ideology, and that trying to compare Vic Mignogna's professional circumstances with what happened to Kyoto Animation is beyond grotesque.
HaruTheWizard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
Can't deny that the comparison that was made bordered on highly ignorant and stupid.

Also didn't respond to that originally because that kind of goes without saying?

I'm not focusing the entirety of your response anywhere. I'm not debating or arguing. I'm expressing my opinion. I don't care enough about Nick to look into his entire lifestyle. He just doesn't strike me as a neo nazi.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
As someone who was semi on Vic mostly being innocent; the fact that he did admit to the hair-pulling does make me wonder on more. I still think some were false (not all but some which can be a little or lot. Depending on what you want you to choose to see me as which I the opposite of white, straight, cis, anti-Shonen Jump Weekly/feminist etc). It is bad. No one is allowed to touch your body in a hurtful manner. My hair hurts from being pulled no matter how big or small the pull is. I understand if he said "Sorry, there was something" or educating them which they say "okay, I will know better next time not to do it when it was supposed to be something small" then that's understandable. Only IF that was not to be on purpose or hurting someone.

TheOtakuX wrote:
The thing that annoys me is, even if you think he's innocent, Funimation still has no obligation to keep using him. They're allowed to employ and contract who they want.

I have to agree. If this was going on for so many years then why would they still keep him around? Honestly, if he was innocent then right away in hearing something of this should have been a red flag to them to in doing an investigation right away. It's a serious thing and companies should know better in keeping their employees safe.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:20 am Reply with quote
If Vic is in hot water at this point I'd hate to see this go to a jury.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:35 am Reply with quote
Guys, off the "Rekieta is a Neo-Nazi" topic of discussion as well, please.

Amibite wrote:
Just to be clear, you are aware you're going to bat for the man with a criminal record of lying to the police by filing false police reports in addition to his previous boss stating he's untrustworthy? It might be more effective to just cut him loose at this point and say his affidavit isn't important so it being thrown out is no big deal.

Nope, didn't know that. I'll have to do research on that to understand. I don't think it affects how unlikely Vic is to win the case at this time, but I guess stranger things have occurred.

It doesn't change my opinion about Vic, regardless. Whether he's Mr. Innocent touchy-feely-just-didn't-know-better or the sex pest/molester that the affidavits and other accounts paint him as, I would be glad to not have him in the anime community anymore (or, frankly, any community with easy access to teens and young adults). If this is what it takes to finally drill it through his brain to not touch without permission, then so be it.

I personally don't buy the innocent routine. He has too much of an ego, and the way he's built up his loyal fanbase with young fans through parasocial interactions and then utilizes his fans to fight on his behalf feels too calculated. The stories shared in the affidavits adds a whole new layer of gross and disturbing; and I'm of the opinion that a history (spanning multiple decades) of repeated behavior shared through testimonies is more likely to be true than not.

Last edited by Crisha on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14