• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Best and Worst Manga of 2019 Results - Comic-Con International

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Edens Zero as Best Manga for Kids/Teens
Mob Psycho 100 as worst manga
Bleach as best continuing manga

I have been lead astray!
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
To be honest, in the Worst Manga section, I wouldn't want to have read any of the rest.
When it comes to Mob Psycho 100 though, while I absolutely loved both anime series and would watch a third if that happens, I bought the first volume of the manga and bounced off it so hard I cancelled my pre-order for the second volume. Is definitely one of those cases where the anime adaptation bests the source material.

I haven't seen the anime, but agreed that Mob Psycho 100's first volume is weak.It's pretty easy to see why it would be someone's pick for "Worst Manga" going by that volume alone. It's incoherent in its pacing and, yes, somewhat boring. Recently read the second volume, though, and it's an improvement over the first.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
What is with this list? Are they seriously trying to piss people off or is this supposed to be some kind of traditional joke for them?

Firstly, Bleach is over. I'm not sure what year they're currently living in but its 2019 and the series has been over for quite some time now. And lastly, Rising of the Shield Hero and Mob Psycho as Worst manga for anyone is completely absurd. I'm pretty sure I'm not in the minority there.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:56 am Reply with quote
Everyone already mentioned Mob, and maybe it’s unfair to say this when I’m basing my opinion on the anime but...if opinions can ever be considered “objectively wrong,” calling Mob the worst of anything comes close...Laughing But other than that and Bleach, there’s a lot to love on these lists. Witch Hat Atelier, for example, really is fantastic! I’d personally vote for Children of the Whales as the best YA ongoing series. I heard the anime didn’t do it justice, but the manga has gorgeous art and incredible world building—worth checking out for fantasy fans!

My favorite ongoing series right now also include Attack on Titan, To Your Eternity, and The Promised Neverland. I’m really surprised TPN wasn’t mentioned, actually.
Moto Hagio is amazing and I can’t wait to check out The Poe Clan! (But I’m surprised no one mentioned The Rose of Versailles on that list)

As for most wished for license, I have a hankering for a title that should also win an award for “Most Disserviced by its Anime Adaptation” 7SEEDS!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:24 am Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
What is with this list? Are they seriously trying to piss people off or is this supposed to be some kind of traditional joke for them?

They were trying to entertain an audience. Really, I find it hilarious that so many are taking this so wrongly. This was a PANEL DISCUSSION.
We got the list, not the discussion.

Granted- this is one of the reasons why this very forum bans list-only posts. You need context for understanding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
msgundam2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
This is why I never trust any opinion articles here.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Sekaro wrote:

They were trying to entertain an audience.

Well clearly, I'm not "entertained" so that's all I'll have to say about that. What I'm more interested in is how they got their facts wrong and labeled Bleach as a continuing series. Were they also trying to "entertain" people with that? :p
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
Guys, no need to act like stuck-up jerks just because the judges' tastes are different than yours. If you love Mob Psycho 100, great! But don't bash Rob for disliking it. How would you feel if someone bashed you for disliking a series?

Anyway, here's my list:
Best New Manga for Kids/Teens
- No pick
Best New Manga for Grown-Ups
- No pick
Best Continuing Series for Kids/Teens
- No pick
Best Continuing Series for Grown-Ups
- Pop Team Epic: Just like the anime, the manga is hilarious and random as heck! The 4-panel format is very digestible and the episodic format makes it incredibly easy to jump anywhere without having to go back read every single previous story in order to get "caught up".
Most Anticipated New Manga
- The untitled new series from Tobira Oda (source: 2019 Weekly Big Comic Spirits issue 10)
Most Wanted (Unlicensed) Manga
- Danchi Tomoo: It's unfortunate that this slice-of-life manga still hasn't been licensed. Sure it's really long (33 volumes) and kinda old (debuted in 2003), but it's worth a shot in some form. Why? Because the stories seem really interesting and more English-speaking manga fans should know about the series. And it feels really refreshing that this is a slice-of-life manga aimed at adults that's focused on a elementary school kid instead of a middle/high schooler.
- KochiKame: This is my bonus pick. It's surprising that this manga (despite being Shonen Jump's longest-running manga ever) hasn't ever been picked up. The extremely long length (200 volumes) and the Japanese-centric nature of the series are the culprits, but why not at least try releasing it in "best of" collections and have cultural notes at the back of the book (people read the notes, right?) I read a couple chapters of the manga and I think at some Americans could get a kick out of it.
- Punyupunyu Yusha Myamemyame: I'm cheating, this is my second bonus pick. This is so far the stupidest and craziest manga I've ever read (it makes Pop Team Epic look smarter in comparison)! It needs to get licensed so that Americans know this series exists!
Underrated but Awesome Manga
- GeGeGe no Kitaro: Even though it pretty much follows the same general plot in every story (the yokai of week is causing trouble, so Kitaro has to go stop it) and it's really old (1960s), the manga is really awesome! I'm not sure how Mizuki did it, but the stories feel so timeless. It's really informative too because you get to exposed to all sorts of yokai.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Sekaro wrote:

They were trying to entertain an audience.

Well clearly, I'm not "entertained" so that's all I'll have to say about that. What I'm more interested in is how they got their facts wrong and labeled Bleach as a continuing series. Were they also trying to "entertain" people with that? :p

Noooo, I'm talking about an ACTUAL audience.

They were at Comic-con

They were in an interactive panel. Panel members talking to each other, audience members probably offering questions.

Rest assured that your displeasure was almost certainly expressed with a chorus of boos the moment it was uttered . And while I don't know the panel members too well, I'm sure sure someone assured Rob that it gets better.

Just relax.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
(Disclaimer: I work for Kodansha.)

Best New Manga for Kids/Teens
O Maidens in Your Savage Season (I love that this was on the list from Zac, but I disagree a bit with the characterization as "for grown-ups;" I think teens can relate to this series fine, given it's about puberty)

Best New Manga for Grown-Ups
Blank Canvas: My So-Called Artist's Journey by Akiko Higashimura
It's shocking this took so long to come out in English.

Best Continuing Series for Kids/Teens
The Promised Neverland -- Excellent, fleshed-out suspense plus a female shonen protagonist! I'm not a fan of the English localization, but it gets the job done.

Best Continuing Series for Grown-Ups
VINLAAAND SAAAGAAAAAAA

And now for the Moto Hagio categories…
Most Anticipated New Manga
The Poe Clan

Most Wanted (Unlicensed) Manga
They Were Eleven

Underrated but Awesome Manga
I can never tell what "underrated" is supposed to mean… Gleipnir I guess?
tojikomori

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Of course, my own top choice for Most Wanted (Unlicensed) Manga is fated to always be Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou which I would absolutely love to own in book form. A lovely set of omnibus releases would be fantastic.

❤️

I'm not sure about omnibus form, though. Books that thick don't hold up well.

I just read the first volume of Emanon a couple of weeks ago and was totally enthralled. It's handled brilliantly, right down to the translation, and it brought back memories of traveling as a young adult that I'd completely forgotten.[/b]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Similar to ANNCAST used to slam "Heat Guy J" way back when, I guess "Rising of the Shield Hero" could become the next series to be used as a running gag on ANNCast.
[/code]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
@Twage

They Were Eleven by Moto Hagio was previously licensed and released by Viz. It came out in comic book form (flipped) in four issues as part of the "Viz Flower Comics" line in 1995. It was reissued in 1996 in the Graphic Novel Four Shojo Stories.

All four issues only total about 125 pages so one or more of Hagio's short stories would likely have to be added to make a full graphic novel.
Gohanangered

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry but i'm extremely frustrated with this site. For you to make the picks of worse manga to include shield hero and seven deadly sins is a joke. If you made those picks in japan they would laugh you out of their cons. If you even bothered to fully read the manga or LN of shield hero which i doubt you did. You'll wouldn't have such terrible opinions or beliefs. I know at this point i'm just ranting because you'll probably won't even read it. But you still are ignorant or willfully ignorant for making those picks. Absolutely horrified in it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Gohanangered wrote:
I'm sorry but i'm extremely frustrated with this site. For you to make the picks of worse manga to include shield hero and seven deadly sins is a joke. If you made those picks in japan they would laugh you out of their cons. If you even bothered to fully read the manga or LN of shield hero which i doubt you did. You'll wouldn't have such terrible opinions or beliefs. I know at this point i'm just ranting because you'll probably won't even read it. But you still are ignorant or willfully ignorant for making those picks. Absolutely horrified in it.

I read your response.
Now, please- read the article again. maybe have the courtesy of reading some of the other responses here. You're really off, and the explanation is both in the article and the responses,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4