• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Misfit of Demon King Academy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 am Reply with quote
^ I interpreted that to mean that the *offspring* is excluded from royalty, not that the whole family receives that punishment. It's like the existence of a bastard in medieval times: it looks bad, and the bastard (usually) has no rights as a noble.
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was already wary of this becoming a harem, but I thought we'd mostly dodged that bullet. So I have to say I was disappointed that all of the Unitarian members are girls. Or should I say, an Anos Estrogen Brigade of fangirls. Surely there are mixed-race guys as well? Are they leaving their fate to the girls? Or just letting them do all the work and they'll reap the benefits should they succeed.

At least we got Ray to balance things a bit. He's pretty fun so far.

spoiler[Don't worry too much about that; Misa isn't interested in Anos romantically, she likes the new guy.]
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:25 am Reply with quote
@Richard Eisenbeis Ah, I see where you're coming from. Hopefully they provide more info on the ramifications of these kinds of things as we (presumably) get to know the members of this group.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
^ I interpreted that to mean that the *offspring* is excluded from royalty, not that the whole family receives that punishment. It's like the existence of a bastard in medieval times: it looks bad, and the bastard (usually) has no rights as a noble.

The child for sure, but I think here the parent also loses out, though I don't know if it goes as far as Richard says.

Guess we'll just have to keep watching to see Smile
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:54 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
TexZero wrote:
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

Anos is mixed blood. His father, Gusta is a demon. His mother, Izabella is human. He would have been a white uniform regardless of the tests. The patch on his shoulder is what labels him a missfit.

Those aren't really his parents though.
They're as much his parents as Kurama's human mom is in Yu Yu Hakusho. The mother was mearly a vessel for his reincarnation.

Yeah... see, the word "hybrid" is derived from the concept of breeding, which means things like biological ancestry and birth parents (pedigree). His biological material comes from his parents, even if his spirit comes from somewhere else. The term is describing his physical ancestry, not where his spirit came from. The fact that he is actually the reincarnation of the Demon King has no bearing on whether or not he's biologically a hybrid.

Actually it matters quite a bit and just to use the source against the claiming he's "hybrid".
here's what the wiki about him says Anos ... Species = Demon.

It doesn't say Half-Demon. It doesn't even say Demi-Human. It specifically says demon.
It's almost like he magically willed his demonic self into being 2000 years later and that gasp his parents have absolutely squat all to do with his genetics.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:18 am Reply with quote
I admit, having seen clips of the show circling Youtube, the show has me somewhat interested.

Sadly, I'm still a tad skeptical about the show. I still don't have a full idea if it will be a wish fulfillment show like how Mahouka felt (even though I have a friend that argues Mahouka isn't that self insert). My main issue is the metatext: is the work going to try to say anything or mean anything.

Then again, asking that question is a double edged sword in a sense. If it does try to say anything, it may say something poorly or in an unnuanced fashion. If it's just a collection of tropes from a database (using a term by Hiroki Azuma in "Otaku: Database Animals"), then the show ultimately will seem vapid to at least me.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:

Sadly, I'm still a tad skeptical about the show. I still don't have a full idea if it will be a wish fulfillment show like how Mahouka felt (even though I have a friend that argues Mahouka isn't that self insert). My main issue is the metatext: is the work going to try to say anything or mean anything.

Then again, asking that question is a double edged sword in a sense. If it does try to say anything, it may say something poorly or in an unnuanced fashion. If it's just a collection of tropes from a database (using a term by Hiroki Azuma in "Otaku: Database Animals"), then the show ultimately will seem vapid to at least me.

I don't really understand where the confusion is. I can see how people can take the first episode the wrong way, but this work has consistently been reinforcing that the main character isn't someone inheriting a previous life, but is literally the actual character.

I have not read any source material but I can still confidently say this: Despite the often overlapping settings, Japanese fantasy writing has a distinct flavor and presentation that differs from the wish fulfillment style fiction (and in extension isekai and its often too pronounced game-lit), and I believe this show has done a very good job from the beginning in making sure to establish what kind of work this is.

Anos isn't some victim of injustice that he feels the need to overcome nor does he particularly care about how others treat him as he doesn't feel pressured by a society he's not a creation of. That isn't to say he's aloof about it, but simply accepts the circumstances as they appear. Many times it has been presented that the active role he is taking in this world 2000 years later is essentially of a tourist who is interested in participating in the local culture. The overarching plot to settle is figuring out who changed history (and potentially "why?") in his absence which he is taking at a fairly leisurely pace.

I don't really expect this show to really "say anything or mean anything" as that doesn't really seem to be the aim of this work to begin with. Social commentary, if any, would simply be byproducts of the interactions of the disconnect between the strongly defined, preestablished main character and the world of the future he created.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Anos' parents are great. They stole the scene whenever they were involved this episode. From the very beginning when they were talking about how he almost died and you saw all the emotion on there faces for just how happy they were to have him in their life, to the scene at the end were his mom stood up for him and his dad gave him the sword and gave him the resolve to take part in the tournament no matter what. I hope we continue to see more of them in this show. Their relationship with Anos has been great to watch.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I found it interesting that the different worlds (or were they just regions of the same world) were only separated by a "physical" wall and not separated by a more extreme means, like separate dimensions or something. I suppose 2000 years is more than enough time for peace to come about, but you'd think if your hated mortal enemy is on the other side of a wall you can see, you'd be prepping for the eventual war for when the wall fell. Though perhaps that's the more typical outcome, so the author wanted to go against that expected result.

I'd guess Lay's mother was a half-spirit as well, so I hope we learn more about his family history. Considering what happened with Misa, it must have required quite a few strings to be pulled to make sure Lay was thought to be a pure blood, especially when his mother has such an obvious condition. Hmm, maybe she was his father's mistress or something and Lay's parentage is kept hidden (for obvious reasons).

Quote:
Even Misha can grow to be better at him with creation magic and with her demon eyes.

I thought only Sasha had those eyes, or does Misha have them too?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
^ I thought so too, but apparently there is something special about Misha's eyes too (maybe they both have them now due to their time trip) since Anos commented on them when she could see he'd detailed his model even inside buildings.

I feel really stupid for missing the in-your-face point that Lay isn't a pureblood. I just figured he didn't want to owe Anos anything before settling their fight and thought it was selfish to refuse his offer of treatment. Instead, it's just not daring to trust anyone with the secret. Could he have sidestepped that choice by not acknowledging her as his mother at the hospital gate?

Anos' parents really are the best! They make me smile whenever they're around. Makes me wonder what his previous parents were like, unless he was sprung fully formed like Athena from the forehead of the Demon King before him.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:22 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:
Even Misha can grow to be better at him with creation magic and with her demon eyes.

I thought only Sasha had those eyes, or does Misha have them too?
Well, I not sure if Misha have the same Eyes of Destruction which Sasha have, but she sure still have some kind of Demon Eyes which allowed her to actually see the magic flow and take a kind of measure of the Anos magic power levels on the evaluation exam, which made her surprised when the mirror shown 0 (which led her to conclude that the crystal simply could not withstand the Anos power and device broke).
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Well, I not sure if Misha have the same Eyes of Destruction which Sasha have, but she sure still have some kind of Demon Eyes which allowed her to actually see the magic flow and take a kind of measure of the Anos magic power levels on the evaluation exam, which made her surprised when the mirror shown 0 (which led her to conclude that the crystal simply could not withstand the Anos power and device broke).

Ah, true I forgot about though. Though I think I attributed that to skill/power level than a semi-unique eye power. Though I suppose it could just be semantics describing the same thing
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:03 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about the music yet. Seriously impressed with the overall feeling of the music and rock solid direction when using it in nearly every scene so far.

Not only the music, but the composition work in the animation really shines - there's been a few minor inconsistencies, but the expression of terror on Emilia's face in this episode was seriously bloodcurdling. For a show I almost didn't start to watch based on it's premise, I'm surprised that this is easily one of the best new shows of the season!
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:31 am Reply with quote
I really like how the series handled Emilia - no cheesy last-second change of heart or redemption, as happens in far too many shows; she was a monster, and remains a monster, and received her just deserts. It just felt so right.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good episode, 8 weeks ago i would never have guessed this to be the show i enjoy the most from the season.

Regarding the current arc, one thing that eluded me is why Anos and Lay are fighting in a tournament for adults. Because of the way it was introduced i thought it was a highschool level competition but the guy Anos beat in the first round was the teacher's older brother and the other disposable contestants were visibly grown ass men. If someone could explain that to me I would be grateful
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:02 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
...one thing that eluded me is why Anos and Lay are fighting in a tournament for adults.

Was it specified somewhere as being for adults? I just thought it was a tourney for the best sword fighters in the land. Like the Olympics has teens competing against adults because it's a competition to be the best, not the best of your age group.

I'm enjoying this a lot too. Even with all this OP magic being flung about willy-nilly, they still keep me guessing. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6