• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Does The Crunchyroll Original Series EX-ARM Look So Awful?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puniyo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
This looks like the hand-animated MMD stuff I'd make in secondary school.

Galap wrote:
I'm not really sure why this is being particularly singled out. Like it looks utterly terrible, because it's anime CG. But every other instance of anime CG I've seen looks at least this bad.

Dude, this is the last thing Studio Orange put out, you really think they're on the same level? https://youtu.be/9JrUNy7qv2o
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:

Dude, this is the last thing Studio Orange put out, you really think they're on the same level? https://youtu.be/9JrUNy7qv2o

It still looks awful to me because they're trying to apply limited animation techniques used for 2d anime to CGI when that's completely unnecessary and just looks uncanny valley. I'd rather CGI anime studios just do what video games do. The 3D animations in even bargain bin JRPGs look far better and more appealing than that, I'm sorry.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:20 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I'd rather CGI anime studios just do what video games do. The 3D animations in even bargain bin JRPGs look far better and more appealing than that, I'm sorry.
Video games have been around forever and CGI anime is still in it's infancy stages so they haven't had the time yet to perfect it but you can't just transfer the techniques used to make one medium for another one.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I'd rather CGI anime studios just do what video games do. The 3D animations in even bargain bin JRPGs look far better and more appealing than that, I'm sorry.
Video games have been around forever and CGI anime is still in it's infancy stages so they haven't had the time yet to perfect it but you can't just transfer the techniques used to make one medium for another one.

I was talking pre-rendered cutscenes, which more or less is the exact same medium as animation. And even still, I don't understand why they feel the need to apply limited animation techniques that were specifically developed to cut costs for frame by frame anmation for a medium where you don't have to draw each frame. It's completely redundant and looks like crap. Instead of trying to make it look 2d, they should just... Do what the rest of the world does when they make CGI animation. You can make it work while still looking "anime".

For instance this short is from 2001 and yet perfectly manages to capture the appeal of 2d anime while still being fluid (for its time) and animated with the CGI medium in mind first and foremost. Much better than a lot of recent examples.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

I was talking pre-rendered cutscenes, which more or less is the exact same medium as animation. And even still, I don't understand why they feel the need to apply limited animation techniques that were specifically developed to cut costs for frame by frame anmation for a medium where you don't have to draw each frame. It's completely redundant and looks like crap. Instead of trying to make it look 2d, they should just... Do what the rest of the world does when they make CGI animation. You can make it work while still looking "anime".

For instance this short is from 2001 and yet perfectly manages to capture the appeal of 2d anime while still being fluid (for its time) and animated with the CGI medium in mind first and foremost. Much better than a lot of recent examples.

Studio Orange doesn't, the only way they make any attempt to replicate 2D animation is in the lighting/shading. It's funny though, because I think that video actually still looks too much like a game cutscene, despite the fact I think it's a standout in cgi anime so far.

On the other hand I find the one you linked to be worse-looking than EX-ARM, so maybe the issue is that 3D is just too easy to spot imperfections in the movements, while their shapes are always perfect, and a lot of the expressiveness from 2D animation comes from distorting shapes. Personally I still think UFOtable's technique of using 3D for the movement then drawing 2D animation over the 3D animation is the best method: https://youtu.be/3kt5djaqA_A ...but this is like 3x the amount of work and the point of using CGI is typically to save time/effort/money.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
Personally I still think UFOtable's technique of using 3D for the movement then drawing 2D animation over the 3D animation is the best method:

That's...not what's happening in that video. What you're seeing is the very rough CG references created to better plan out complex movement in a 3-dimensional space, and is 1000% different from actually animating using 3DCG. You can even see the traditionally illustrated storyboards used to build that CG reference in the first place. What Orange (or, I guess to stay on topic, the people making EX-ARM) do is a totally different process, workflow, and skillset than what you see in that video.
Reibubba

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:56 am Reply with quote
Looks absolutely terrible compared to the manga - and let's face it the manga is up to volume 14 so it has to be popular enough and have something going for it.

The author must be cringing at the trailer, which looks more like a IP for an indie Steam game than an anime.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
Dude, this is the last thing Studio Orange put out, you really think they're on the same level?

I mean, that clip still looks very uncanny and unnatural to me. Like someone else said, video games have done much better work with CG than anime studios have. Even if you ignore the Final Fantasies and other big games, the cutscenes in a free-to-play gacha game like Genshin Impact still look more pleasing. The only CG anime I've seen work are video-game adaptions like those Resident Evil and Tekken movies, probably since the source material is already CG so looking like it isn't much of an issue so it's just like watching a really long cutscene from those franchises. And those films came out over a decade ago.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
Personally I still think UFOtable's technique of using 3D for the movement then drawing 2D animation over the 3D animation is the best method:

That's...not what's happening in that video. What you're seeing is the very rough CG references created to better plan out complex movement in a 3-dimensional space, and is 1000% different from actually animating using 3DCG. You can even see the traditionally illustrated storyboards used to build that CG reference in the first place. What Orange (or, I guess to stay on topic, the people making EX-ARM) do is a totally different process, workflow, and skillset than what you see in that video.

Yeah, this video doesn't show every different way they use CG, but I mean in regards to using CG to aid animation workflow. I don't think pure CG animation works... at all, at least not yet.
I also couldn't find the clip of the scene in Heaven's Feel with Sakura and Emiya that's CG on yt.

Horsefellow wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
Dude, this is the last thing Studio Orange put out, you really think they're on the same level?

I mean, that clip still looks very uncanny and unnatural to me. Like someone else said, video games have done much better work with CG than anime studios have. Even if you ignore the Final Fantasies and other big games, the cutscenes in a free-to-play gacha game like Genshin Impact still look more pleasing. The only CG anime I've seen work are video-game adaptions like those Resident Evil and Tekken movies, probably since the source material is already CG so looking like it isn't much of an issue so it's just like watching a really long cutscene from those franchises. And those films came out over a decade ago.

Yeah I don't think it's perfect - actually, to me it still looks more like a video game cutscene than anything - but I don't think you can say with a straight face it's in the same ballpark as EX-ARM. I think Beastars worked, but the fact the characters weren't human I think aided that a lot, because it wasn't really trying to mimic anime, hence why it works better than the music video they made.

I think we're just a lot more tolerant of CG in video game cutscenes. If you took the cutscenes of a game out and presented them to an anime-watcher as a movie, they'd probably suddenly find issue with it (myself included).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4