• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shadows House

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
As this anime originial terroritry I believe, I do have a question for the manga readers: Is there really so much repitition of the "John punch" line in the original? It seems like one of those things were anime original material likes to take things from the source that are iconic and repeat them no end.

I think it's quite amusing either way, but it does stick out.

It was just a running joke for this episode and it's 100% in-character for him, but otherwise he doesn't go around suggesting to use his John Punch... too often.
harminia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
As this anime originial terroritry I believe, I do have a question for the manga readers: Is there really so much repitition of the "John punch" line in the original? It seems like one of those things were anime original material likes to take things from the source that are iconic and repeat them no end.

I think it's quite amusing either way, but it does stick out.

His suggested solution to stuff in the manga is frequently destroying things but it's not as noticeable as in the anime. Putting all the John Punch jokes in one ep does mean you pick up on them more.
I mean, I didn't mind because I love John Punch but yeah, I was like "boy that's a lot of John Punch".
He does actually use his brains (what little he has of them) in the manga more, but it's still consistent with his character for him to want to John Punch stuff, especially considering how soon this episode occurred after the debut, where he first learned of John Punch being a Thing he can do.

I'm quite enjoying the direction it's going. Edward's sheer frustration at dealing with Emilico was very amusing, and I loved her pretending to eat, and then falling asleep because she was full.

I was pretty wary about the fact they were all going over their plans right in front of two brainwashed characters but they dealt with that in an... Okay? manner. Like, it was way too easy but it did seem logical, especially for Ricky.

I do love that Louise's whole motivation to help is that 1. she hates Edward and 2. she doesn't want to be targeted by him next. Very in line with her manga characterisation.

I'm interested in seeing how they tie spoiler[Shirley and Rum] back into it. I suppose they'll save the day or something.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
breaking Ricky and Lou's brainwashing with off-hand comments is just... no. That was almost insulting to Kate and John Laughing
I delude myself by pretending that it was Patrick and Louise treating Ricky and Lou like people in their own right that broke the brainwashing spell.
My theory is that the "coffee" was wearing off anyway for the last two so may be coincidence...Now, just what is that soot sprite spy doing? Does it report to the 3rd floor?
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They may not have been the two he was aiming to eliminate during the Debut,

No, no, he wanted to eliminate them too because he suspects Kate of being a rebel, though even the manga hasn't explained yet why he thinks that way. That said, this arc falls apart because it has been a single day after the debut.

From Edward's POV, Kate hasn't had time to come up with a plan, wouldn't tell her doll since she is, as far as he knows, brainwashed. He has the chance to get her in trouble now that he has caught her trespassing but she only found out Emilyko was there by chance. He is using the Star Bearers as informants but doesn't give them time to get any useful info. His interrogation technique is a 2/10 being generous. Ricky and Lou getting over the brainwashed so soon undermines all the build-up with the coffee and, regardless of their reasons, Patrick and Louise casually committing treason at this point feels forced.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:
No, no, he wanted to eliminate them too because he suspects Kate of being a rebel, though even the manga hasn't explained yet why he thinks that way. That said, this arc falls apart because it has been a single day after the debut.

Edward is petty and paranoid. Emilyko is a weird doll and Emilyko almost jeopardized his plans of failing Ram and Shirley, and she's Kate's doll that must be Kate's fault. On top of that Kate was trying hide stuff from the house, so obviously she must be a dissident that intends to rebel.

Quote:
We knew he was involved somehow, because Louise saw him, but by making everything appear too big for Emilico in his room, we were given the idea that maybe there was another person involved.

Probably the intent was just to give a sense of threat.
Specially since they very clearly showed the shape of Edward's face... or as clearly as you can get with this excessively dark art direction.
Although it's true that I knew what his power was beforehand so seeing the wobbling soot on its own gave away what's going on.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And I admit it – I really hope they let John punch him.

I also want to see John punch Edward as hard as possible
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Ep13-Seems an appropriate number for the esthetic of the show. But what a lot of scene reuse, guess they were close to not making deadline and the story finish seems abbreviated as well. However, very interesting to see that the "creature" might be as others have surmised and is now officially "Rummy"...S2 should be a given, but given the state of the industry, when is the question. I fear we are in for a wait...

Also reviewing the dub between Eps 4 and 5, Kate indicates there is "something particular" she needs to do before the debut and at the debut she indicates "there is still something (I) must do". However, there has been no discernable "thing" Kate has done in particular and the subtitles render those lines as "there is something Kate needs to do" and "there is something (I) must do" which in context are versions of "I have to do something (about this)". A further problem with Funi's localization?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Mixed feelings. On one hand, it was fun if crazy, I didn't know I needed Barbara being smug and it gave me a lot to think about when it comes to Grampa and the third floor in the manga.
On the other hand, although mechanically it takes back to the point where it heavily deviated from the manga, the way the characters themselves have changed (knowledge, experiences, opinions, development...) is so huge that it's completely irreconciliable with the next arcs as half of the tension is gone and characters just can't act the way the act in the manga anymore. It also spoils a HUGE twist from the manga and barely does anything with it, which is kind of a dick move.

Lastly, about the artistic direction... while I liked the grainy look and it looked pretty nice all the way through, the oversimplified characters design sometimes undermined what they were going for (Lou is supposed to be super cute but... she has an octopus for hair!) and there's the dulled pallette (which "robbed" some scenes of some of their liveliness) and extreme darkening (which made shadows way more unreadable than they should be). It's like they wanted the anime to feel darker than the manga but why bother at all? Half of the season has been dedicated tot he debut, which is very colorful and upbeat, and the anime original arc is the whackiest thing that Shadows House has given us so far.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also reviewing the dub between Eps 4 and 5, Kate indicates there is "something particular" she needs to do before the debut and at the debut she indicates "there is still something (I) must do". However, there has been no discernable "thing" Kate has done in particular and the subtitles render those lines as "there is something Kate needs to do" and "there is something (I) must do" which in context are versions of "I have to do something (about this)". A further problem with Funi's localization?

I don't think it's a Funi thing? They moved things around so my memory is a bit fuzzy about what was and wasn't adapted. But basically, frist Kate says she has "something to do" and later she explains that she wants to spoiler[fight against this house that is devouring the lives of 50 pairs of children.] In the manga I think that line was between Emilyko and John's un-brainwashing (or even a bit later?) so it might have been skipped.[/i]

P.S.: I just realized that Mirabelle and Isabelle, despite being in the OP, only appeared briefly as background characters once. We would have seen them if it weren't for the anime original arc though.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:35 pm Reply with quote
This original arc is more of a season 2 finale than a season 1 finale. I can't get over it has only been a couple of days since the debut and yet

-Edward decided to do something this drastic and illegal when he could spy on Kate until he gets solid evidence of her alleged betrayal.

-Ricky and Lou are already unbrainwashed.

-Patrick and Louise are on Kate's side and willing to break rules.

-Kate has figured out that Shirley is alive and they can count on her and Rum.

-Edward is in serious problems for harassing the kids and lost the respect of both the Star Bearers and the Lords.

-Because of this, the Star Bearers won't be likely to believe Edward if he starts with his "Kate is a dissident" crap.

-They know what his and his friends' soot powers are.

Also, what do anime onlies think of Barbara taking the group's side in this conflict? I feel like it's too convenient that she happens to be reasonable and dislikes Edward, and that's in spite of reading the manga spoiler[where it's the same (but we get context and explanations)]

That said, the Great Grandfather using the carrot and stick method to make Edward even more loyal to him was perfect *chef kiss*

Last edited by Violet Park on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...perhaps implies that Rummy was always Shirley, if not literally than in the sense that she was the one Rum talked to and taught how to be human...
Sorry, but I can't see how the latter can be true unless Shirley was literally being the ribbon, otherwise she wouldn't have been present to hear Rum's one-sided conversations with Rummy. Also, the "clue" that Sprite knew of Kate's soot powers for some reason made me think she might have been a previously discarded Shadow Kate knew because I'm fairly sure Shirley never saw Kate use them.

@Yuvelir-I thought sure we'd see the twins get brought into the story in a more solid way before the end since they were in the Op...

@Violet Park- As an "anime only" I found Louse and Patrick joining the group inconsistent with both their established characters and the trajectory of the story to that point and was waiting for The Shocking Betrayal. It was a very odd writing choice to say the least, better not to have involved them and save that drama for later. There was no good reason the whole group suddenly had to be buddies in a common cause, Patrick and Ricky were definite self-appointed antagonists to the other shadow pairs. I do find Barbara an interesting addition at the end because they hinted she wasn't a fan of Edward (no clue why though) and I was wondering if that would come up again. We had seen so little of Barbara that I think it might have been Barbie who was the unreasonable one of the duo...

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
The finale was ok, but that confrontation scene with Edward vs Everybody. Shades of Promised Neverland! Laughing

Maybe being the ribbon was part of Shirley's soot powers. Like her soot could take that form while maintaining telepathic contact or something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:02 pm Reply with quote
As an anime only viewer (so far, anyway) I'm fine with the ending. Sure, it was a bit haphazard, but I assume the manga had no convenient cutting off point, and so it was either they make something up, or the story just ends with "wanna know what happens? read the manga!" So I'm fine with it being a bit dodgy, they probably did the best they could with the material they had, and if anything it will just inspire people to read the manga.

This was a delightful little show, I enjoyed it a lot more than I'd expected to. And I'll be sure to read the manga, too.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
[Sorry, but I can't see how the latter can be true unless Shirley was literally being the ribbon, otherwise she wouldn't have been present to hear Rum's one-sided conversations with Rummy.

Oh, oops, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I meant that literally! I meant more on a metaphorical level, like Rum thought of Rummy as Shirley, so now she's taken that as way to continue existing alongside Rum.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:38 pm Reply with quote
As a manga reader, I didn't mind the ending. It leaves itself open to a second season, which could still cover some events in the manga without too many issues... Up to a point, then it'll start getting a bit messy, but I think the series would need 3 seasons to really get to there.

Shirley was so adorable. It was a lot of fun seeing her animated.

John wearing the veiled doll outfit and completely messing up everything (and using that attempted girly voice!) was pretty funny. I loved when he finally reached Kate, and immediately was like "ok now I need help" because of Eileen and Jerome chasing him.

I think it's possible Shirley could've seen Kate's powers. Shirley didn't dissolve until just after the debut (I think?) so she could've seen Kate and Emilico flying in the background as she, well, dissolved. Bit of a stretch maybe, but possible! Or Rum could've seen it and told Shirley. Shirley certainly could've seen Kate's powers in the context of moving items, as she had been spying on them, so even if she didn't know the wings, she'd know Kate could move the teacup.

Anyway! It was a bit of a weird arc but it was very fun. I hope there's a season two, even though we won't get a proper adaptation.

Also it was good hearing Ollie talk.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
@Violet Park- As an "anime only" I found Louse and Patrick joining the group inconsistent with both their established characters and the trajectory of the story to that point and was waiting for The Shocking Betrayal. It was a very odd writing choice to say the least, better not to have involved them and save that drama for later. There was no good reason the whole group suddenly had to be buddies in a common cause, Patrick and Ricky were definite self-appointed antagonists to the other shadow pairs. I do find Barbara an interesting addition at the end because they hinted she wasn't a fan of Edward (no clue why though) and I was wondering if that would come up again. We had seen so little of Barbara that I think it might have been Barbie who was the unreasonable one of the duo...

The reason is that much of this show's promotion and merchandising hinged on the five debutant pairs, so they had to include as many of them as possible in the finale to make the production more profitbale.
Apparently this scenario was an alternative that Somato thought about but ended up discarding. However, it was not an alternative for chapter 48 (which is where the anime deviates) but for chapter 86. That is indeed a season's worth of developments to get Patrick and Louise (and Edward) to such a point.
As for your assessment of Barbara spoiler[you hit the nail on the head Laughing]

SHD wrote:
As an anime only viewer (so far, anyway) I'm fine with the ending. Sure, it was a bit haphazard, but I assume the manga had no convenient cutting off point, and so it was either they make something up, or the story just ends with "wanna know what happens? read the manga!" So I'm fine with it being a bit dodgy, they probably did the best they could with the material they had, and if anything it will just inspire people to read the manga

Well, certainly not a very good point but there was a very impactful point to end the season, which comes right after the de-brainwashing and some fun whacky hijinks with another ghost incident.
It would also have been easy to end with Shawn's debrainwashing followed by a scene where Kate explains her long-term goals (which otherwise comes right after telling Emilyko she's human).
Although the latter would be a little too "calm" and neither option feature Louise and Patrick enough (and they also introduce some concepts and explanations that wouldn't be relevant yet).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10