• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NBC Will Not Air Golden Globes in 2022 Due to Controversy with Diversity

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:34 am Reply with quote
Too little, too late.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:41 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
It's kind of odd to boil it down to "people of color," considering that HFPA, although many of them do not write that much, has a ton of Hispanic, MENA, and Asian members. It's a weird group, to be sure, but the reporting on this has obscured as often as it's clarified.

POC is one of those terms that means different things to different people, and some people do not consider any of these groups people of color/minorities. MENA groups like Syrians and Iranians often get labeled as "white" by census data and the media at large. Hispanics go through that a lot too. Asians never get called white (anime characters not withstanding), but they suffer from the "model minority" perception.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
It's kind of odd to boil it down to "people of color," considering that HFPA, although many of them do not write that much, has a ton of Hispanic, MENA, and Asian members. It's a weird group, to be sure, but the reporting on this has obscured as often as it's clarified.

POC is one of those terms that means different things to different people, and some people do not consider any of these groups people of color/minorities. MENA groups like Syrians and Iranians often get labeled as "white" by census data and the media at large. Hispanics go through that a lot too. Asians never get called white (anime characters not withstanding), but they suffer from the "model minority" perception.

Not to mention POC shares the same acronym for "piece of crap", and that's the reason I don't use THAT term, ever.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Well it wasn’t always like that the rule was changed in 1987. But the point is Minari was not put in that category because it was deemed too foreign it was put in that category because it fit that category best according to the rules.

What was the justification for that rule change back in 1987? As far I'm aware US doesn't have an official language, the most you can say about English in that regard is it's the most common one in US...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:

POC is one of those terms that means different things to different people, and some people do not consider any of these groups people of color/minorities. MENA groups like Syrians and Iranians often get labeled as "white" by census data and the media at large. Hispanics go through that a lot too. Asians never get called white

That’s somewhat interesting with the fact that countries like Israel and Syria which have individuals that could pass for white in the U.S., is located on the continent of Asia.

It’s an indictment of how iffy these designations can get.

Egan Loo wrote:

The controversy is also that the Golden Gloves also forced Minari out of the running for the top award.

Why did someone get caught doping or taking a dive:P
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:29 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Egan Loo wrote:

The controversy is also that the Golden Gloves also forced Minari out of the running for the top award.

Why did someone get caught doping or taking a dive:P

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5289327#5289327
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Whatever. The Golden Globes are just the minor league Oscars anyway.

This! No one even remembers what won the Golden Globes a few years later.

octopodpie wrote:
The issue outlined in the article is about representative membership in the individuals that judge the films, not about awarding a certain number of films starring non-white cast or created by non-white crew.

That said, I thought the situation with Minari: a film made in America starring Korean-American and Korean actors and directed by an Asian-American about a Korean family in Arkansas being put into the "foreign" category because it wasn't in English was atrocious and a sign of a problem within the Golden Globes judging.

That is how the award is always handled at the Golden Globes. It’s the Foreign Language award. American films primarily not in English were always put in this category. Minari was not singled out. While for obvious reasons usually films made in other countries are put in this category, Minari is not the first American film nominated. I am not saying how they handle the award isn’t weird but that’s how they handle it.

Note the Oscars award is for best International film so Minari would not be eligible.

That ended up with a very long back and forth that doesn't refute my point or really matter. Countering "this policy is atrocious" and "it's always been that way" is more bog-standard for continuing bad policies of all kinds. I don't care that the Golden Globes has done it that way since 1987 and I reject the idea that caring about it now is (implied) unnecessary because it's always been that way.

America doesn't have a national language and pigeon-holing a film out of the best picture category based on language is, frankly, racist. Also, while the Golden Globes might not have the same recognition among viewers as the Oscars, all of these award shows are considered lead-up to Oscar award viability.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2