• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
The name for the mangaka for Back When You Called Us Devils is linking to the wrong Takashi Sano(佐野隆). The right mangaka for that is Takashi Sano(さの隆).

Fixed it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
I came to this discussion thread from the Spring 2021 Light Novel Guide article. Is there meant to be a separate thread for discussing the Light Novel Guide or is this the right one?

Discuss both here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
Thigh High: Reiwa Hanamaru Academy sounds incredibly dated in its humor. I realize the prominence of the LGBT community is different in Japan, but I can't help thinking this could've read as completely different had it approached the premise sincerely or even alongside the reality of being trans or cross-dressing; hell, it can STILL be hilarious without needing to resort to making jokes at the expense of the characters' femininity. Rolling Eyes

Maybe I'm thinking too much about this but it feels like a lost opportunity.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:43 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

"Devils" at first glance looks like a very serious award-bait type of thing, but apparently it's just the edgiest edge to ever edge an edge. But at least it's good to know I'm not the only person who uses the word "s***bag."

Oh, it definitely tries for that serious stuff, but it does stuff like spoiler[rape victims "converted" by rapist's gigantic penis into sex addicts] or spoiler[current villain threatening the MC into raping a woman or his girlfriend will be raped instead, in front of the victim and her boyfriend who can hear the threat, and despite it being perfect moment to give villain to cops to protect the GF and claim to cops he was just threatened into compliance he goes along with it.] It's the type of edgy plot that demand most characters to be complete idiots for the plot to go as it does.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote
Hehe, yup, Thigh High has my boat afloat.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Hazure Skill

I picked up the light novel and the manga based off of the reviews here. They were spot on. One of the best things about this story, is that the main couple are actually having a physical relationship. Which is was one of the good things that Arifureta had going for it too. None of this, will wait to the end of the franchise before getting them together.

And I am actually invested into the two main characters. So it seems it is going to be a long wait before the next volumes of the manga and the light novel.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
An awkward, personal question I'm not sure how to phrase:

Quote:
Instead he ends up being present at his old ice dance partner's skating club when Inori comes in, and he's blown away by her self-taught talent and the way that no one seems to believe in her.

[…]

That's great news for fans of sports stories, but don't let it scare you off if that's not your thing, because this is also a story about learning to believe in yourself even when everyone else tells you you're not good enough.

If Inori wasn't capable of impressing someone like Tsukasa, would this still be a lesson worth learning for her? If so, does Medalist convey that effectively? And if not, does that compromise the theme by implying "the value of believing in yourself" to be contingent on "being good enough to be worth believing in"?

It's a question I've struggled with for a long time -- are there people who just don't have what it takes to succeed in [insert field here]? And if you're one of them, is there really any value in believing otherwise, beyond "you can't know for sure"? Because in my experience, when a fictional character grapples with self-doubt, the narrative usually doesn't actually deny that "incapable" people exist, only that the character in question is among them. Which makes it harder to draw confidence from such narratives, if you see yourself in the struggles but not the strengths.

(Think of how Sheska from FMA fears that her obsessive book-reading will prevent her from ever being able to hold down a decent job. But hooray, she's wrong! …because she just happens to also have a memory that borders on a superpower, a trait not shared by most people with discipline problems.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:31 am Reply with quote
@Shay Guy

For every form of endeavor, there will be those who lack the mental or physical abilities (or both) to succeed. There will also be those who can succeed with hard work and a few who cruise through to success without effort. In between these are a whole continuum of people with varying degrees of success. This includes those who have the talent but lack the work ethic to go the distance.

In competitive sports, which is what is under discussion, every win by one person comes at the expense of a loss by someone else. By definition, a champion involves losses by dozens of people. In team sports you have the added frustration that people can have the talent and work ethic and still fail due to a failure of teamwork. The bottom line is that there is a whole world of losers for every champion.

Very few authors write books about losers. No one cares about them. Even the individual or team that lost only to the champion is nothing. Competition can be extremely destructive.
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
Nice to see that Medalist got a good review. I'm already a fan of figure skating and Yuri on Ice is one of my favourite anime, so more anime and manga about figure skating are always welcome in my book. I'll definitely pick Medalist up.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:46 am Reply with quote
I just want to say I love this guide and the work you two women are doing. It has given me a bunch of titles to hunt down and purchase. Please, keep up this great review column and I'm looking forward to the Summer edition.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Very few authors write books about losers. No one cares about them. Even the individual or team that lost only to the champion is nothing.

I find the notion that the vast majority of people aren't worth caring about to be pretty bleak.

I'm also not sure well it's backed up by sports-based fiction. Admittedly, I have very little experience with the genre, but I have seen Rocky, which made a big point about how spoiler[Rocky knew going into the fight that he didn't have a chance against Apollo Creed, but he wanted to end it on his terms by going all 15 rounds without being knocked out, even if it meant nothing to anyone but himself]. (Granted, most sports movies aren't Rocky, and 勝利 isn't in the old Jump motto for nothing.)
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:01 am Reply with quote
That’s one of the main reasons Rocky is a great film, in my opinion, though to be fair it’s also not far off being the exception that proves the rule amongst other sports stories.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:45 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Quote:
I find the notion that the vast majority of people aren't worth caring about to be pretty bleak.

Of course. I don't like it but that is the way the world works. That is why I usually don't like sports anime or manga, or the way the Japanese tend to try to make everything a contest (got to go to nationals, don't you know).
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If there's one major issue with Undead Girl Murder Farce, it's that I keep reading it as Undead Girl Murder Face

Thanks for adding that sentence at the beginning, or I would never notice the title is different from what I first thought.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
I count 48 titles reviewed. Not too much that I am interested in myself, maybe Hana-chan or Call of the night. But I appreciate the enormous amount of work that must have gone into this!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4