• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Surpasses 5 Million Subscribers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
What's the difference between a "subscriber" and a "registered user"? Are the "registered users" the freeloaders such as myself who don't mind waiting a week and watching with ads?

(Well, I don't mind watching free with ads when the ads don't cause the PS4 Crunchyroll app to abort the streaming and make me have to reboot the app, often just to get the same problem again, which is something that has happened to me several times lately.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:13 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
What's the difference between a "subscriber" and a "registered user"? Are the "registered users" the freeloaders such as myself who don't mind waiting a week and watching with ads?

I’d read it as meaning anyone with a working login. I suppose it’s possible there are CR users who don’t watch anime or read manga on the site, and instead just read the news, participate in the forums, and buy stuff from the store. Unlikely, but possible. Still, for the most part, this is presumably the free-with-ads viewers.

And I don’t think watching free-with-ads is in any way “freeloading”. Your time and attention are worth something, and that’s what you’re paying with.
Picky33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:20 am Reply with quote
This proves you can host anime illegally and eventually get 5 million subscribers
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:06 am Reply with quote
More that if you build it, they will come. Without Crunchyroll and the rise of streaming services that serve anime as its primary or a secondary option, it becomes way more difficult to recover from the first market crash in the late 2000s.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Crunchyroll, an anime streaming service, reaches five million subscribers - and announces they're backing a western cartoon. Does anyone on Crunchyroll's management team actually understand *why* they have five million subscribers?

Does anyone saying this realize that Crunchyroll subscribers don’t exclusively watch Japanese produced media?

This is almost akin to people who complain about ANN posting something that’s not anime related.

casenumber00 wrote:
Not quite a fan that I pay for their anime content and they go an announce they are making something that isnt something anime.

???

Doesn’t Crunchyroll also air live action content on their platform?

You’re not really paying for either the content you watch or content you don't.

Beatdigga wrote:
Just keep getting anime and keep airing it promptly, and people will keep paying for it.

Wasn’t just keep getting anime one of the reasons the anime bubble burst on top of why we got so many shitty English dubs back in the day?

Isn’t it also one of the reasons for things like the rights to Macross outside Japan being stuck in an awkward spot for all those years.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
The bubble burst because of a glut of lower quality series flooding the market, all marked up at the same premium price of $25-30 for two hours of content. Streaming solves that value proposition.
Madster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Once again, the hot-take artists, grifters, and saboteurs out there have failed to decrease CR's subscription numbers. You love to see it.

casenumber00 wrote:
Not quite a fan that I pay for their anime content and they go an announce they are making something that isnt something anime.

More grist for the anti-industry outrage mill. "I pay for Netflix for their US movies and TV shows, and I don't like it that they're licensing weird Japanese cartoons," said nobody ever.

Also, I'm pretty sure plenty of anime viewers enjoyed Voltron: Legendary Defender, from the same writer as Dark Star Squadron.

I'd argue that Netflix can get away with anime in their library because Netflix caters to everyone, while Crunchyroll caters more to hardcore anime fans. No matter how good the product is, Crunchyroll's subscribers (whether or not they are justified) will hyperfixate on "Was it produced in Japan or not?". Like with the other CR Original stuff, I'm remaining skeptical.

However, I am interested to see where this trend of "Hollywood getting into anime" goes. Whether it's a slow trainwreck or a fun time, only time will tell.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:24 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The bubble burst because of a glut of lower quality series flooding the market, all marked up at the same premium price of $25-30 for two hours of content. Streaming solves that value proposition.

Fortunately, for those of us who still only spend money for anime when it's on physical media, at least we get full seasons now instead of singles, which is usually also a bargain compared to the old way of selling 3 or 4 episodes for not much less than the current price for whole seasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2