• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Translators Unite!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this company/campaign known for severely underpaying their translators? And you even have to purchase the manga they want you to translate?
lys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, my impression is basically that this is a way for this company (and maybe the artist if they're lucky) to make money off of might-as-well-be-free labour by fans (who are willing to translate AND letter the script on the pages). It doesn't seem to offer anything like fair compensation for professional work.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
Isn't this company/campaign known for severely underpaying their translators? And you even have to purchase the manga they want you to translate?

Even better when they say you can have multiple translations of the same particular title!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:

Yeah, iffy practices as hell. From the site;
Quote:
Translators can choose not to receive payment for sales of their translated works.
Those translators will have a "Volunteer" icon appear by their name on the product page.

Also, I have a feeling it'll be abused in another way too. Considering the amount of fan-translated manga(just my reading list/backlog has a few hundred manga that doesn't have official English releases) dlsite won't possibly have the staff numbers to check if those providing the translations aren't simply ripping existing fan translations out there...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1